Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to customize message list columns placement and width in Mail under Catalina

Just "upgraded" to Catalina from Mohave and lost the capability to reformat column placement and width for the Mail message list. I used to be able to do this under Mohave but cannot figure out how to do it with Catalina version. I do not like the default arrangement/format. Has the capability to change it been abandoned or buried somehow?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 3:02 PM

Thanks again. My issue is with column width and placement. With further research, I discovered that the limitation is one brought on by the Catalina version. Evidently, Apple graciously listened to the over 800 people who complained about it, and fixed it in Big Sur. I was able to upgrade to Big Sur and it addressed my concern. See this article for the relevant details: catalina mail column view - Apple Community

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2022 3:02 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks again. My issue is with column width and placement. With further research, I discovered that the limitation is one brought on by the Catalina version. Evidently, Apple graciously listened to the over 800 people who complained about it, and fixed it in Big Sur. I was able to upgrade to Big Sur and it addressed my concern. See this article for the relevant details: catalina mail column view - Apple Community

Feb 17, 2022 11:49 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you, but I think you're answering a slightly different question, or working in a different view. I am using column layout without side preview (i.e., with message preview below the message list.) In that mode, the only place the cursor controls column width is between the mailbox window and message list window, not between the list columns as I'm requesting (and which used to be a capability in Mohave.) Are we tracking, now? Thanks again.

How to customize message list columns placement and width in Mail under Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.