Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google threatens cutoff of gmail access on 5/30/2022

Google has been complaining about my use of gmail with the Mac mail app for years because, apparently, it doesn't use (or I don't know how to use) google's two factor authentication. Today I received an email from google notifying me that...

"To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in using "Sign in with Google" or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. "

I love the Mac mail app and use it happily with gmail as my email provider. Is there a way that I can continue using the Mac's mail app and be able live with google's requirements? It would be a major PIA to switch to some other email vendor. Everything depends on my email address! I also find that the web based client for gmail is a lot less than useful.

I am using the current MacOS Montery 12.2.1 on a Macbook Air M1.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 7:37 AM

I received the email and saw in another thread to do this:

1. Delete your Google Account in your device's settings (Mail Preferences - Accounts on iMac or Settings - Mail on iPhone/iPad)
  2. Add Account and select Google
  3. You'll then be prompted as "muguy" mentioned above to Open Browser and you'll need to sign into your Google account.
  4. You may get a message from Google with a code (that only happened on my iPhone)
  5. Save

Similar questions

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 7:37 AM in response to muguy

I received the email and saw in another thread to do this:

1. Delete your Google Account in your device's settings (Mail Preferences - Accounts on iMac or Settings - Mail on iPhone/iPad)
  2. Add Account and select Google
  3. You'll then be prompted as "muguy" mentioned above to Open Browser and you'll need to sign into your Google account.
  4. You may get a message from Google with a code (that only happened on my iPhone)
  5. Save

Mar 4, 2022 8:24 AM in response to DonVining

DonVining wrote:

It would be a major PIA to switch to some other email vendor. Everything depends on my email address!

I strongly recommend that you purchase your own domain name and start using that as your e-mail address. You can configure your old gmail account to automatically forward your e-mails to the new address. You can even configure Apple Mail to use your new domain with iCloud e-mail. See Use Custom Email Domain with iCloud Mail - Apple Support

Mar 4, 2022 8:00 AM in response to Leno77

Thanks, I looked at google a little and it appears this is what they want. I don't know how effective this is as a form of two factor authentication but if it works, it works. Basically you are telling google that you trust the Mac gmail client when you setup the account. I have been using Mac mail and gmail for a very long time and have a large number of emails in it that I don't want to lose, so I will delete and readd my account as suggested after I export all my emails as a backup. I'll reply again after this proves to be the solution.

Mar 4, 2022 10:03 AM in response to Leno77

Thanks muguy. That basically worked. At first I was upset because it said all the email would be deleted from the mail ap. It's true but being IMAP it readily loads them back in. Also before creating the new google account for mail you need to reboot. When I tried w/o rebooting it opened a browser window but did not load anything in it. After rebooting the window contains a field for the google verification code which the texted me. Then the mail app fired up and is in the process of downloading the thousands of emails in my inbox. I think I got this way because I've had my gmail account since gmail was created, log before anyone heard of google authentication, and I just slipped through the cracks because I was avoiding using google except for email.

Mar 5, 2022 11:52 AM in response to DonVining

DonVining wrote:

Thanks for this info... how much does your own domain cost?

It depends - anywhere from $10/year to literally as much as you want to pay. Also, it can be technically challenging to set up. There is always a cost to such things. But you did say, "Everything depends on my email address!"

As a software developer, I am very familiar with those absolutely critical needs that suddenly become much less important when faced with paying a fee equivalent to the price of a latté and muffin. 😄

Apr 10, 2022 6:39 PM in response to DonVining

I received that email notice from google too. I do not like using IMAP , and have preferred using the pop to download my emails to my mac and read them in Apple mail APP. I want to have access to my emails even when I am off line.

drawback with IMAP vs POP is that you have to have the identical sub folder structure, and moving around messages on your mac moves them on the google server. which is what I did not want

-> can people please confirm the way to go about the threatened 'cutoff' is to switch from pop to IMAP? so one will still be able to download emails, but whatever you delete on your mac, gets deleted on the google server too?

thanks

Apr 10, 2022 9:53 PM in response to akhbu

I don't know if the email protocol has anything to do with this threatened cutoff message. What I did was simply delete the old email app and install it again as suggested by leno77 above. During the re-installation you'll be prompted to open a browser and indicate that you trust the email app. I think this is just a formal procedure google added sometime after I started using gmail. I don't know if it has anything to do with the email protocol or not but to be safe I first saved my emails simply by copying the inbox which resides in the IMAP server to a local email directory.

I converted from pop protocol years ago. The old protocol had some advantages as mail stayed in the pop server even if it was deleted on my computer by mistake. I found that useful on more than one occasion when I accidentally deleted an important email. But if you want to keep your mail on your local computer IMAP allows you to do that by simply by copying the emails to a local directory. I believe your assumption: "drawback with IMAP vs POP is that you have to have the identical sub folder structure, and moving around messages on your mac moves them on the google server. which is what I did not want." is actually incorrect. The Apple mail app allows you to create a directory structure under "On My Mac" which is not in the IMAP server.

Apr 30, 2022 10:20 AM in response to DonVining

Similar concerns as akhbu. Running Catalina on a mid-2012 MBP. The POP email account appears to be the culprit. Is there no way on Mac Mail to have a POP email account use "Sign in with Google", OR once you've added an account via Sign in with Google convert that account to POP? It appears using the Google login in Mac Mail forces you to go with IMAP, even if your gmail settings have POP activated, and IMAP deactivated.

Apr 30, 2022 1:26 PM in response to jszrules

You might be right jszrules. My first gmail account used pop but that was before 2-factor authentication during setup so I can't verify your assumption. if II were you I'd convert to IMAP. The big difference for me is when you delete an email, it's gone on the server too. If you want to keep notes in directories on your computer you can do that too but emails and directories on the server are there for all your computers to see equally.

Apr 30, 2022 4:03 PM in response to DonVining

Trouble is, I have a bunch of sub folders on my mac that I use to categorize my downloaded emails from google server.

When using IMAP instead of POP, the minute I move an email from inbox on my mac to a subfolder, it is considered DELETED on the server! So it won’t be accessible to me on my cell phone any more!

I hate that.

I want to have access to my emails even if I am offline. I DO NOT WANT TO BE COUPLED to google server…..sigh

Google threatens cutoff of gmail access on 5/30/2022

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.