Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Shift" key didn't work on iPad using Universal Control

I've just updated my Mac & iPad to 15.4 OS. The Universal Control is cool but I couldn't use SHIFT key on Mac's keyboard or an external keyboard to type on my iPad. If I type "Shift + 7" normally it will appear as "&" but on iPad it's "7" like the Shift button was never hit. Is anyone has the same problem & has any solution for this?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 9:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 7:57 PM

I have the same issue, done a bunch of research and got nowhere but seems like I found my own solution!

On Your iPad:

Go to SETTINGS > Accessibility > Keyboards > HARDWARE KEYBOARDS > turn Full Keyboard Access to ON

** Also (on the same page), SOFTWARE KEYBOARD > toggle Show Lowercase Keys to ON

And wahlaaaa, I am typing happily using my MBPro 2019 (15’ inch) laptop’s default keyboard on my 2021 11inch IPad Pro 😎

• Command shortcut keys (e.g. Command +C , Command+V, etc) all working now too
  • Also my Razer Orochi V2 mouse works well without disrupting Universal Control, no matter using the USB receiver or via Bluetooth (saw some posts said you have to disable external mouse Bluetooth to fix the keyboard issue but that doesn’t apply to me)

Hope this help y’all 😁

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2022 7:57 PM in response to TristanNguyen

I have the same issue, done a bunch of research and got nowhere but seems like I found my own solution!

On Your iPad:

Go to SETTINGS > Accessibility > Keyboards > HARDWARE KEYBOARDS > turn Full Keyboard Access to ON

** Also (on the same page), SOFTWARE KEYBOARD > toggle Show Lowercase Keys to ON

And wahlaaaa, I am typing happily using my MBPro 2019 (15’ inch) laptop’s default keyboard on my 2021 11inch IPad Pro 😎

• Command shortcut keys (e.g. Command +C , Command+V, etc) all working now too
  • Also my Razer Orochi V2 mouse works well without disrupting Universal Control, no matter using the USB receiver or via Bluetooth (saw some posts said you have to disable external mouse Bluetooth to fix the keyboard issue but that doesn’t apply to me)

Hope this help y’all 😁

Mar 17, 2022 10:59 PM in response to TristanNguyen

In another thread, in Universal Control - Apple Community

SebastianJagr, using Czech keyboards on Macs and an iPad with Universal Control found that the letters Z and Y transposed on the iPad side.

And in a different thread, NapV -- who uses the Caps Lock key to change languages -- found that that produces some unusual results.

I'm wondering if the translation between different keyboard languages might be challenging for Universal Control. Ah, by chance, do you have anything unusual in Keyboard Preferences on your Mac?

Mar 17, 2022 6:45 PM in response to TristanNguyen

Looks as if several people have clicked on "I have this question too", so apparently there are others with this problem....

However, I wanted to let you know that not everyone has that problem. If I type "Shift + 7" (i.e., hitting '7' while holding down the shift key), on my Mac's keyboard or an external (Bluetooth) keyboard, I consistently get '&' on whichever screen the cursor is on (either my Mac or my iPad).

Perhaps the problem depends upon which country keyboard you're using??

Mar 17, 2022 8:10 PM in response to bob32

I think I am one of the cases that which Universal Control didn't work smoothly. Since I've just discovered that my keyboard on the iPad removed the U, I, J, K, and maybe other keys too into some kind of commands that linked to the mouse cursor on the iPad. This is really a lot of issues happening. My external mouse & even mac trackpad didn't work on the iPad like it was when I've just updated to the newest iPad. Seriously this is a bunch of errors. Maybe I just turn off the Universal Control function and hope it will be fixed in later updates then.

Mar 18, 2022 12:16 AM in response to bob32

I didn't have any problem with my Mac keyboard. It works perfectly as usual. I think it's the Universal Control that made things malfunction like that. It's still a BETA as the mark in the function window, so maybe they should get more input like that to fix it gradually. For me now? I decided to turn off the Universal Control until they fix it.

"Shift" key didn't work on iPad using Universal Control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.