Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

badge app icon switch missing on my mail app

The badge app icon is gone on my mail app and when I go into the settings for mail app under notifications there is no switch anymore to turn the badge on or off.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 10:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 5:06 PM

Hi Prairie Ranger,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. For an issue like this, let's try some basic steps first to get the Badges option back for you.

First, close the Settings app:"Double-click the Home button to show your most recently used apps. Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close. Swipe up on the app's preview to close the app"

Next, Restart your iPhone.

"Press and hold the side button until the power-off slider appears.""

Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo."

Open Settings again and see if the option to enable Badges appears. Restarting your iPhone often fixes issues like this.

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2022 5:06 PM in response to Prairie Ranger

Hi Prairie Ranger,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. For an issue like this, let's try some basic steps first to get the Badges option back for you.

First, close the Settings app:"Double-click the Home button to show your most recently used apps. Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close. Swipe up on the app's preview to close the app"

Next, Restart your iPhone.

"Press and hold the side button until the power-off slider appears.""

Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo."

Open Settings again and see if the option to enable Badges appears. Restarting your iPhone often fixes issues like this.

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Mar 20, 2022 5:59 AM in response to Lager1

Same Problem here. Very frustrating!

Updated recently to iOS 15.4 and also paired an Apple Watch … suddenly the badges of the mail app and the toggle to turn them back on are missing.

Some of the things I tried in different combinations so far:

• Closing the App
  • soft/Hard restart of device
  • removing/adding mail accounts
  • turning off/on notifications

Everything without success, the badges are still missing :(

Mar 23, 2022 6:51 PM in response to Fox-84

I started experiencing the same issue today after pairing a Series 4 watch to my iPhone XR. Found this article and was about to take screenshots to post in my reply and the Badges option had reappeared.

None of the suggestions listed above seemed to work when I did them, so I have no idea why they disappeared or reappeared but I wanted to echo the fact that this happened to me too after moving to a new(er) watch.

Jun 8, 2022 9:55 AM in response to Prairie Ranger

This happened recently when I pair my apple watch and update the IOS software.

The solution for this DELETE the app and RE-DOWNLOAD the MAIL app on the app store and everything backs to normal. you might need to re-setup your email again. DELETE the existing one on the Settings MAIL -->> Accounts and then re-setup/add it again using the MAIL App - launch the app it will ask you to set up the accounts.

Jun 11, 2022 2:53 PM in response to Prairie Ranger

My mail app wasn’t displaying how many email I had and there was also no where to turn it on or off available in settings. I held my finger on the mail icon intending to delete and reinstall but then clicked on “All Inboxes” and when it opened it prompted me to allow notifications which then put the notification options back into settings when they had previously been missing.

Nov 4, 2022 10:14 AM in response to Prairie Ranger

this is happening to me too! i've tried everything people have recommended but it hasn't worked. i've closed out the app, signed out of my accounts completely, offloaded the app, deleted the app, restarted my phone etc etc and nothing gets the option to come back. it's only for the mail app too! i hope they can fix this in an update, super annoying

Mar 1, 2023 2:33 PM in response to Prairie Ranger

I have the same issue with my mail app as well as Facebook messenger. There’s simply no options to turn on badges so I miss all of my notifications. I’m sure this is true of other apps as well, I just haven’t noticed yet. None of these suggestions have worked to fix the issue. I did recently get an Apple Watch, but I’m not sure if this issue started before or after they were connected.

badge app icon switch missing on my mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.