Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to communicate with the printer at this time (Samsung C460w & Monterey 12.3.1)

Hello!

I have a problem with my printer on my 16" M1Pro. Printer is connected to a wireless network and works fine on 13" MBP (Big Sur 11.6.5), also on any Windows laptops in my household. The problem appears with my new M1Pro 16". I have the latest driver installed, the same as on the 13" MBP. I remember having some problems on that one too, but only with the scanner part.

Anyway...

I can see the printer under "Add Printer" dialogue, also I can select the correct driver (C460 Series).. But after clicking "Add" I get an error "Unable to communicate with the printer at this time". I have tried this multiple times, sometimes it doesn't show the error, but then the printer is just "In Use".

Also I can't connect to the printer admin interface via browser nor access the Supplies Information.

I have ruled out the printer and router part, everything works over there. All the settings for ports configurations etc are set to default, so maybe something regarding changes in networking on Monterey? Anyway it seems to me like some kind of a networking issue on my M1Pro.. I remember adding this printer a couple months ago, when I first got the M1Pro, but I'm not too sure about it. Anyway all the other networking functions seem to work just fine... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 9:32 AM

mikknurga wrote:

Hello!

I have a problem with my printer on my 16" M1Pro. Printer is connected to a wireless network and works fine on 13" MBP (Big Sur 11.6.5), also on any Windows laptops in my household. The problem appears with my new M1Pro 16". I have the latest driver installed, the same as on the 13" MBP. I remember having some problems on that one too, but only with the scanner part.

Anyway...

I can see the printer under "Add Printer" dialogue, also I can select the correct driver (C460 Series).. But after clicking "Add" I get an error "Unable to communicate with the printer at this time". I have tried this multiple times, sometimes it doesn't show the error, but then the printer is just "In Use".
Also I can't connect to the printer admin interface via browser nor access the Supplies Information.

I have ruled out the printer and router part, everything works over there. All the settings for ports configurations etc are set to default, so maybe something regarding changes in networking on Monterey? Anyway it seems to me like some kind of a networking issue on my M1Pro.. I remember adding this printer a couple months ago, when I first got the M1Pro, but I'm not too sure about it. Anyway all the other networking functions seem to work just fine... Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Solve printing problems on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/solve-printing-problems-on-mac-mh14002/mac

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2022 9:32 AM in response to mikknurga

mikknurga wrote:

Hello!

Anyway...

Thanks,
Mike

Solve printing problems on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/solve-printing-problems-on-mac-mh14002/mac

May 12, 2022 11:38 AM in response to mikknurga

I am having a similar problem in an office of Macs. Any computers that update to 12.3.1 can no longer connect to certain existing printers that worked prior to the update. In our case, the printer that now fails is a shared printer connected to a Windows PC that requires authentication. All other printers work fine. Any computer that updates to 12.3.1 will then fail to print to the one printer (that worked in 12.3). We have a similar error, "unable to connect to printer," and the job then hangs in the spooler, "Ready to print," but without printing.

Apr 27, 2022 9:44 AM in response to mikknurga

HP, who now is responsible for Samsung printers only list as high as Big Sur as being supported.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/samsung-xpress-sl-c460-color-laser-multifunction-printer-series/17157233/model/17157237

You try reinstalling the Big Sur drivers and, resetting the printing system, and then readd the printer.

Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

You can also try the Samsung universal driver:

SAMSUNG PRINTER Universal Driver

Otherwise you seem to need a printer compatible with Monterey.

Apr 27, 2022 9:53 AM in response to mikknurga

mikknurga wrote:

Thanks for your answer, I have tried all the steps in all the troubleshooting guides. The problem is with establishing a connection with the printer.

I tried connecting via USB, but then I can't use any manufacturer specific drivers. Only Generic printer driver is offered. So maybe that's not a networking issue?

I would discard this printer and get a new one, as this is a few years old, but it works just fine on my 13" MBP and other devices..

Samsung C460w—

if in doubt search the developers website or contact: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

Support Home | Official Samsung Support US

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201777

Apr 27, 2022 9:58 AM in response to mikknurga

Hi,

The Samsung Xpress SL-C460W Color Laser Multifunction Printer is listed as HP Xpress C460W in About AirPrint - Apple Support. This means that the model in question supports the driverless AirPrint technology. An AirPrint-enabled model is compatible with macOS (Monterey), and it should be possible to use it without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

Have you tried to add the printer using AirPrint (that is, without any other installed drivers)?

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If all settings are OK, and If there are difficulties with AirPrint, you could try the following procedure:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the computer, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computer. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Apr 27, 2022 9:43 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your answer, I have tried all the steps in all the troubleshooting guides. The problem is with establishing a connection with the printer.

I tried connecting via USB, but then I can't use any manufacturer specific drivers. Only Generic printer driver is offered. So maybe that's not a networking issue?

I would discard this printer and get a new one, as this is a few years old, but it works just fine on my 13" MBP and other devices..

Unable to communicate with the printer at this time (Samsung C460w & Monterey 12.3.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.