Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 using Time Machine

I have been using my LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 drive (Raid 1) as a Time Machine backup drive for 2 years+. I've never had a problem. After upgrading to Monterey, I noticed its icon flashing as a folder occasionally, which I thought was odd. I was then presented with some messages from the OS, "Time Machine couldn't complete the backup" and "MacOS can't repair the disk". One of those messages also suggested that I reformat the drive. I checked the disk utility program which stated, "Could not mount (com.apple.DiskManagement.dis enter error 0.).

I then downloaded the latest LaCie RAID Manager software which informed me that the hardware is, "OK".

Is anyone aware of why this happened? As I have recently been upgrading to Monterey (12.3.1) and its latest system updates – is this a bug in the macOS? Do I truly need to ditch multiple years of backup and reformat the drive? Should I continue to trust the drive, specifically as a back up drive?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Marcrest

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 8, 2022 4:46 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 8, 2022 8:34 AM in response to MarcrestProductions

I've had a similar problem using a network area storage unit (NAS) as my Time Machine backup point. You can find a thread discussing the problem more here (Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup… - Apple Community). In most the incidences I've read through the problem appears related to either Time Machine on MacOS Monterey:

• Not recovering when drives have been put to sleep
  • The backup disk has insufficient power on USB
  • The computer goes to sleep during a backup.

My problem appeared to be item 3.

Since your LaCie RAID is probably running on its own AC power, insufficient power for the drive is not the problem. I recommend you look at the power setting on your Mac. Try checking the first box, Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping... , and unchecking the second, Put hard disk to sleep..., , as shown below. This should prevent your Mac from forcing the error. If the problem persist, check the setting for your LaCie RAID, it may have it own sleep command that is interrupting the backup.

Hope this is helpful.

Don

May 8, 2022 7:37 AM in response to MarcrestProductions

I suspect that your current TM disk is formatted in HFS+ (macOS extended) since Apple used to use that format for both startup disks and ™ backup disks. Apple has now changed to APFS for both startup disk and ™ backup. Other users have experienced problem with old ™ disks not working with Monterey. To resolve it you can either erase the disk and start anew or get a new disk and start using that and keep the old disk. in case you need to go back that far to restore stuff.

May 8, 2022 7:58 AM in response to MarcrestProductions

MarcrestProductions wrote:

I have been using my LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 drive (Raid 1) as a Time Machine backup drive for 2 years+. I've never had a problem. After upgrading to Monterey, I noticed its icon flashing as a folder occasionally, which I thought was odd. I was then presented with some messages from the OS, "Time Machine couldn't complete the backup" and "MacOS can't repair the disk". One of those messages also suggested that I reformat the drive. I checked the disk utility program which stated, "Could not mount (com.apple.DiskManagement.dis enter error 0.).

I then downloaded the latest LaCie RAID Manager software which informed me that the hardware is, "OK".

Is anyone aware of why this happened? As I have recently been upgrading to Monterey (12.3.1) and its latest system updates – is this a bug in the macOS? Do I truly need to ditch multiple years of backup and reformat the drive? Should I continue to trust the drive, specifically as a back up drive?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Marcrest

If in doubt refer to the developers website, search: Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates

LaCie RAID Manager | LaCie Support US

May 8, 2022 2:38 PM in response to lllaass

Illaass thanks for your response. I had heard that some older format drives could cause problems as the macOS evolves, but sincerely didn’t believe it would affect backups drives. I’m also experiencing problems with my internal drive. Wondering now if it’s the same problem?? Did I miss a technical advisory? It seems like there should have been a flag at upgrade to say, “if your drive is not formatted this way, do not install this update”! Guess I’m spending some time reformatting my drives, what a pain in the *^%#. My whole system is only a couple of years old.

Problems with LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 using Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.