Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open attachments in Outlook after update to 11.6.6.

Did recently update MacOS to 11.6.6. and now I cannot open attachments. Outlook says 'The file “<name of file>[1].pdf” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it. ... '

I do open Outlook Temp directory (in private/var/folders/.../com.microsoft.Outlook/Outlook Temp), the attachment is saved there but is Locked. Viewing file info shows me with Read&Write privilege as I have admin rights everywhere.

When I manually untick Locked status, then I can open the attachment from the Outlook. But I have to do it with each attachment which makes it almost unusable. On next start of Outlook after being quit the problem appears again as the Outlook Temp directory is completely deleted on Outlook exit.

Saving the attachment works, then the file is not Locked. I can also Quick look the attachment, but in quick look I don't see extended word formatting, notes in PDF etc.

This problem appeared immediately after update to 11.6.6. - before the update, everything was ok.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 18, 2022 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2022 12:32 AM

Same problem here. But I did some testing:

The problem only occurs when preview is running. If I close preview before clicking onto the attachment it will open. The second one will fail again.

Same for other attachment types than pdf: But: With xlsx Excel ask for permission instead of failing to open.

Renaming the temporary directory so Outlook has to create a new one doesn't solve the problem.

Similar questions

99 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2022 12:32 AM in response to lipo2lipo

Same problem here. But I did some testing:

The problem only occurs when preview is running. If I close preview before clicking onto the attachment it will open. The second one will fail again.

Same for other attachment types than pdf: But: With xlsx Excel ask for permission instead of failing to open.

Renaming the temporary directory so Outlook has to create a new one doesn't solve the problem.

May 19, 2022 1:07 AM in response to MartinFfn

MartinFfn: confirm that behaviour.

When Preview is closed, PDF attachment is opened in usual way from Outlook message. As soon as Preview is running, even without any window opened, the above problem occurs.

What happens to you with Excel, is with Word the same (not a surprise). When Word is opened, opening Word attachment from Outlook results in request to grant additional permission to access the Word file Outlook Temp directory.

May 25, 2022 4:42 AM in response to lipo2lipo

Hi, have same problems after the 11.6.6. update. It is super annoying and definitely work performance blocker. I was in zoom meeting and trying to save the files from Outlook and open while i try to reply a customer.

Send already bug report to Apple via feedback page Feedback - macOS - Apple so far no response or any feedback.

I am also chatting Microsoft customer support for Outlook Mac, but it is an on and offline process.

May 24, 2022 3:50 PM in response to lipo2lipo

very same issue using Apple Mail wherein Preview reports "The file “<name of file>.pdf” couldn’t be opened because "user" doesn’t have permission to view it. ... "

• only the first attempt to open an email attachment will succeed and that attachment can be closed & reopened repeatedly
  • every attempt to open a second, third, ... attachment fails with message above, even if I attempt to reopen the first attachment after failing at trying to open another
  • Quitting & Re-opening Preview seems to reset the capability to open any first attachment
  • after spending a couple hours on the phone with three Apple Care techs (one at whatever they call the "next level"), I completely erased both my iMac and MacBook Pro and reinstalled OS X 11.6.6 on each to no avail
  • interestingly, the iMac first reset to OS X 11.5 - which behaved exactly the same as OS X 11.6.6
  • also, Preview opens files on either of my Desktops without a hitch and attachments open as expected on my iPhone XR
  • after messing with the Mail-Preview issue for a while, I tried to open email-attached *.doc and *.xlx files, and a similar issue occurred, only the message was somewhat different and I was able to muddle through to open the files
  • IMHO, Apple engineering needs to dig into this issue, perhaps exploring for a problem with mail server(s) common to folks with the issue
  • meanwhile, I'll drag attachments to my desktop where they seem to save and open fine

Jun 4, 2022 5:32 AM in response to lipo2lipo

I have this issue too. I reported it to Apple and Microsoft. It occurs in Mail as well as in Outlook and has only happened after 11.6.6 upgrade. It was not occurring on my MBP M1 2020 (running Monterey), just on my iMac 5k late 2014 (running BigSur 11.6.6).

I decided I didn't want to use the irritating and cumbersome workaround of dragging stuff to the desktop, or quitting the helper application for each and every document, so I took the plunge and used the instructions here to patch Monterey and install it on my (otherwise Monterey incompatible) iMac.

I should add that I backed up my iMac first, and I have all my documents in iCloud so I was not at risk of losing data. I found this process quite anxiety producing nevertheless but I had decided to give it a go as my iMac was if not unuseable, then quite frustrating to use. But this is not a recommendation so do this at your own risk!

Result:

a) bug is gone. I can open documents as usual right from the mail program (Mail or Outlook)

b) using all the nice features of Monterey. In particular am enjoying the new focus modes, quick notes and especially the universal control which gives me 30% more screen real estate than I had.

Very happy. And thanks to Mr Macintosh for such a clear video.

Chris.

PS - I should add that my iMac is only just not compatible with OS upgrades: Monterey is the first OS which was not supported. Also that when I bought it, I maxed out the processor and graphics card as I wanted a machine that was going to last (and it has). If you've an older / slower Mac it might not work as well. The video has instructions on that. The performance of my iMac is fine for what I use it for: word processing, email and large spreadsheets.

May 19, 2022 5:23 AM in response to MartinFfn

Can confirm the exact same issues here.

I filed a report with Apple via Feedback Assistant yesterday; so far it reports/shows no similar reports; folks, please let Apple know about this bug.

Likewise with Microsoft through its Outlook "Contact Support" option under the Help menu (after a full day the "chat" assistants also tell me they have no similar reports).

This isn't gonna get fixed without some input from more than one user!

May 20, 2022 2:51 PM in response to lipo2lipo

Same, immediately following the upgrade and impacts all office attachment types launching from Outlook (well, at least word, ppt, and excel). Preview attachments works fine. I've traced through every possible temp folder.. the path usually says: /private/var/folders/5z/<yada yada> changing permissions to full read/write wherever possible. I've also ensured that all office apps are given full read/write disk access in privacy settings.

May 20, 2022 8:18 PM in response to lipo2lipo

Same for me with attachments. Try doing "view source" on an email:

The document “Outlook_MessageSource_2022-05-21 03/17/17 +0000_0” could not be opened. You don’t have permission.

To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info.

Yeah, that's a lot of help...

So much for inspecting an email that I suspect is SPAM.

May 25, 2022 12:28 PM in response to lipo2lipo

All... I believe I found the solution. I recently upgraded to Big Sur and could not open attachments on Outlook for Mac. I turned off "Connect Fonts" which is the latest version of Extensis's Suitcase Fusion Font Manager.

Once I turned that off, POOF... my jpg attachments would open with a simple double click. Once I turned CF back on... the attachments wouldn't open.

So, if you use a 3rd party font management program... try turning that off and see if it saves the problem.

Be sure to restart your mail program after you turn off any font management apps.

Good luck!

Cannot open attachments in Outlook after update to 11.6.6.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.