Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting email

Why do I have to delete email a second time? This seems to be an old problem for Mac users, but not for me. OS Monterey 12.4

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 30, 2022 6:09 PM

9 replies

May 30, 2022 10:14 PM in response to MinnieMe

MinnieMe Said:

"Deleting email: Turned out that I could not delete the Game Center account. I am currently wending my way through discussions groups on the subject. I don't think there are any games in the account. I know the Game Center hasn't been used for years. May not have anything to do with deleting emails?"

Contact Apple Support:

For account management, contact Apple Support.  Ask them to delete this account, and to confirm that it will not affect your Apple Account. The'll see what has occurred, and will run you through the fix. Here is the information for contacting Apple Support:

Apple Phone Support:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as Necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due do lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Screenshare with the Apple Rep

To easily show the Apple Rep what is going on here, request a prompt for a screensharing session with the Apple Rep. That will allow them to see this firsthand, and upfront form your perspective.

Learn More at my User Tips: 

May 30, 2022 9:28 PM in response to MinnieMe

MinnieMe Said:

"Deleting email: This was added by a visiting child. I can delete it BUT the message I get asks if I am sure I want to delete the account vivianberg@mac.com. So, I would just let it be lest I lose my mac.com account. Is this the culprit?"

-------

Multiple Accounts Logged in:

Your Apple Account is one account and can have a few domains of Apple (@Mac.com and @iCloud.com). Deleting it, no mail would be deleted; it would stay on Apple's servers. So, no worries there. As for there bing two of the same account, then that would seem to be the culprit. So, remove the account, seeing it this no longer occurs.

May 30, 2022 8:55 PM in response to MinnieMe

MinnieMe Said:

"Deleting email: [...]The problem is that deleted email simply returns within less than a second and requires a second click of the delete button for it go to to trash.[...]"

-------

How Many Login of this Account?:

See if you are logged into this account more than once...

1. Go to: Mail menu
  2. Select: Preference
  3. Select: Accounts tab

May 30, 2022 9:26 PM in response to TheLittles

There are three accounts listed:

1. iCloud To the right of this item it shows Vivian, Details show, but the Description is iCloud. I am ok with this.
  2. Google (gmail, but little use)

Game Center

This was added by a visiting child. I can delete it BUT the message I get asks if I am sure I want to delete the account. So, I would just let it be lest I lose my mac.com account. Is this the culprit?

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

May 30, 2022 6:21 PM in response to MinnieMe

MinnieMe Said:

"Deleting email: Why do I have to delete email a second time? This seems to be an old problem for Mac users, but not for me. OS Monterey 12.4"

-------

Deleting an eMail:

Once deleted, it is moved to the Trash (by default). From there, manually delete it from the Trash or Archived folder. If you don't want to be prompted for that, then that would be a separate preference.

May 30, 2022 8:36 PM in response to TheLittles

I am ok with manually deleting emails from the trash folder (and emptying trash from all folders, et al.). The problem is that deleted email simply returns within less than a second and requires a second click of the delete button for it go to to trash. One clue that might help - but which doesn't help me - is that one or two will actually delete and not return for that second click. What the heck!

(I have checked settings as I wended my way through earlier discussions. Like many, I want to empty the trash manually.)

Deleting email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.