Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics glitch in top right corner when swiping between desktops

When swiping between desktops I often get a graphics glitch in the top right corner of my screen. This happens on my current Macbook M1 Pro 16 (2021) and it happened on my previous Macbook Pro 13 M1 (late 2020) last year. I happenes on Monterey, but also on Big Sur (on the 13" MBP).

I see several other users are reporting the same issue and as far as I can tell nothing useful has been posted. It is not really causing any problems, it is just annoying. Especially considering that almost everything else is buttery smooth on the M1 Macs.

Here are some links to the other community posts I found (none of the generic tips posted there have really made any difference):

Glitch when swiping between desktops on M1 - Apple Community

Desktop switching display glitch - Apple Community

Display Glitch - Apple Community

A black spot appeared on the top right co… - Apple Community

Swipe through home-screens there is a gli… - Apple Community

Screen Glitch - Apple Community

https://youtu.be/hY6zXpaCyBA

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 9:12 AM

kjetpett wrote:

When swiping between desktops I often get a graphics glitch in the top right corner of my screen. This happens on my current Macbook M1 Pro 16 (2021) and it happened on my previous Macbook Pro 13 M1 (late 2020) last year. I happenes on Monterey, but also on Big Sur (on the 13" MBP).

I see several other users are reporting the same issue and as far as I can tell nothing useful has been posted. It is not really causing any problems, it is just annoying. Especially considering that almost everything else is buttery smooth on the M1 Macs.

Here are some links to the other community posts I found (none of the generic tips posted there have really made any difference):

If no further issues—

You can file a bug report here: Product Feedback - Apple

if different macOS and different machines I would suspect some third party interference:

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc impacting the smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2022 9:12 AM in response to kjetpett

kjetpett wrote:

If no further issues—

You can file a bug report here: Product Feedback - Apple

if different macOS and different machines I would suspect some third party interference:

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc impacting the smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

Jul 8, 2022 10:13 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for replying.

Both with safe boot and using a different accout the same thing happens. At first I wont see the glitch. Then after a while (maybe 30 mins or more, depending on how many apps are running) it suddenly occurs Sometimes I'm able to get rid of it by closing down one app after the other until the glitch disappear. Every time I think to myself "haha, I got the culprit", but unfortunately it is not always the same application that I close. It has disappeared after closing Visual Studio Code, Microsoft Teams, Safari and Chrome. To me it seems related to the amount of memory allocated rather than a specific application.

Oh and by the way - there are no Cleaners, VPN, Optimizers or Anti-virus running on ny system.

Graphics glitch in top right corner when swiping between desktops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.