Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac suddenly slowed down

My mac suddenly slowed down. I ran Entrecheck and it said my hard drive was failing. Is there any other solution except a new computer?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 3:54 PM

You are thinking linearly which is logical, however mechanics don't always follow a linear ( meaning logical) pattern. They sometimes work fine and a moment later act flakey and then return to normal. When you get HD errors, believe them, HD's don't magically repair themselves.

14 replies

Jul 16, 2022 1:02 PM in response to billfromcalgary

The reason your iMac is slow is due to the 5400-rpm hard drive. It also appears to be failing. While this hard drive found in your Mac is perfectly suited to light tasks, such as email, web browsing, etc., for more advanced tasks, and for users who want the maximum performance from their Mac, this hard drive does have its limitations. Luckily, you can use an external SSD as your startup disk to run macOS and all your data from that. It will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage, and in turn, make your entire Mac system much faster. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please see: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your Startup Disk on a Desktop Mac - Apple Community.

Another option is to replace this Mac with a new Apple Silicon Mac: Mac - Apple.

Jul 16, 2022 1:00 PM in response to billfromcalgary

Thanks for the report, the hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced. What I (and many others) recommend is to buy an external SSD, then clone the internal HD using either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to the new external SSD and then make the SSD your boot drive. On a 2017 I would recommend one of the 2 solutions:

1. OWC Mercury On The Go Pro & a OWC On the Pro Go Power Adapter or
  2. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/S3D7P6G960/ and a https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Cable-Support-Black/dp/B07S9CKV7X/ref=sr_1_4?crid=DN8W85LTSQ7L&keywords=SATA+SSD+adapter+cable&qid=1658001607&sprefix=sata+ssd+adapter+cable%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-4

Jul 16, 2022 11:44 AM in response to billfromcalgary

All that copied was a filename,. Try this:

1) Make sure Etrecheck is open and showing the report you created

2) Find "Report" in Etrecheck's left-hand contents pane:

3) From Etrecheck's "Share menu icon, select "Copy report":

⚠️ NOTE: Please do NOT highlight the text in the report before copying. That will scramble the formatting and may let personal information slip through Eterchecks' privacy protection.

4) In a reply in these forums, selected the :Additional Text" icon:

5) Paste into the the resulting box:

You seem to have steps 4 and 5 working. It appears something went walkabout when trying to copy the report.

Jul 15, 2022 6:08 PM in response to billfromcalgary

That depends on the model year of the computer, if it is older than a 2017 then yes I would suggest replacing it as it will be classified (if it hasn't been already) obsolete. If it is a 2017 or newer, buy an external SSD, clone the internal HD to the SSD and use the SSD as your startup drive.

However if you post the EtreCheck report we can give you more specific advice.

mac suddenly slowed down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.