Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm having issues with the lightning/hdmi connector since iOS 16 update

I updated to iOS 16 and since then have had issues with the lightning/hdmi connecter with my tv. A couple apps work fine(Disney+) some work a little(Hulu, Prime Video) and some don’t work at all (HBO Max). Prime video will play but not have any audio, Hulu will only have audio during commercials, HBO Max works until the show starts playing then it kicks it off the tv onto only my phone screen. I’ve hard reset and all that and still no luck. My wife has the same phone (iPhone 13) but hasn’t updated yet and hers works perfectly

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 5:08 PM

after installing iOS 16 Hulu and prime video do not function properly using the Apple hdmi adapter choppy, no audio, Disney and Netflix work as advertised I am an otr truck driver use this feature to have tv in my truck worked great up to now can I remove iOS 16 until this issue is resolved?

53 replies

Nov 1, 2022 7:09 PM in response to yoda_man86

I’ve spent hours on the phone with apple support, he told me it was obviously and apple issue with it being it worked before I updated but immediately after it wouldn’t and would expedite it…. That was 3 weeks and 2 updates ago! Updated for MINOR things in my opinion… glitches… I get glitches are inconvenient BUT at least it was a minor glitch not a full blown issue of something failing to work. We can’t get Wi-Fi at our house so we rely on this method. I’ve since emailed the chain that I had before and NOTHING!!! Called today about another issue and then asked about this and got nothing but beating around the bush! I told the lady to tell their team to take one of their iPhones, and one of their hdmi to lightning adapters plug it into a tv and test Hulu…. She beat around the bush some more and I said have a good day and hung up…. Use this case number 101816670924 that’s the one that was opened when I allowed them to run diagnostics on my phone, I took videos and pictures and sent them in. Call them, report it with this case number MAYBE they will open their eyes!!!!

Nov 1, 2022 7:12 PM in response to Kn0108

It’s not a glitch. Apple closed a loophole for AT&T, T Mobile and Verizon. If you had no internet service, except your iPhone, and used your iPhone as a hotspot and connected to your TV via the Lighting AV, you could watch the shows you paid for, but because of the AV, your data did not come from your hotspot data. Now it does. You can toss your AV!

Oct 31, 2022 7:44 AM in response to yoda_man86

I am having the same issue and wasn't sure if it was connected to iOS 16 or something else. I live in a rural area and have no internet. Have used the adapter for a couple of years with no problems. Haven't used in a few months, now AppleTV app works fine; just signed up for Hulu and both it and Amazon Prime video are doing to same thing – they play fine on my iPhone but as soon as I plugin the adapter that is connected with the HDMI it plays on the TV, but the picture is jerky and so-mo and there is no sound. But AppleTV app plays just fine. I called Hulu customer service, which was 40 minutes that I will never get back. I have tried everything – uninstall and reinstall all apps, tried three different TVs and three different HDMI cables, restarting everything. Nothing is working.

Nov 1, 2022 7:25 PM in response to Kn0108

I assure you, what I posted is fact. There is no software glitch. Just think about it. Since IOS 16, everything using your Lightning AV works except formal movies from Netflix, Prime, Peacock, Tuli, etc. In almost every case, slow video and no sound. You will never watch any of the above again via your AV. Sorry…. It’s the world of Big Tech that we live in.

PS: I live on a boat with no internet available except via iPhone!

Nov 19, 2022 11:37 PM in response to yoda_man86

Apple with just come out with a new adaptor and we will have to buy it. This is crap I used the hdmi adaptor last night just fine. I did the update today and now it will not work for Hulu or Netflix’s. Always seem to find a way to take more money from us because they “fix” things. I use this at work as we can’t cast to the tv here and now I am screwed.

Nov 28, 2022 5:53 PM in response to Kn0108

I think what dinrail is saying is that we are 'defacto' using our iphones with unlimited data, as wired 'hotspots' so to speak. Streaming on the phone using unlimited data, and viewing that on a tv via the hdmi adapter. Cell providers don't like that I suspect...they would rather we watch on our tvs via the smart tv app or apple tv box, using the wireless hotspot function of the phone...which would burn through the 50 gig of hotspot data in no time. They have no problem using your unlimited data by watching on your phone, but for some reason have a hard-on if we instead choose to just move that stream to the tv via a cable. So they might have thrown a bone to the cell companies and removed that capability with the ios update. Basturds.

Nov 28, 2022 6:07 PM in response to yoda_man86

I am living in my RV without wifi other than cellular data so I relied on this to watch Netflix, Hulu, HBOMax on my phone using unlimited data. Not No Mo since the update.

I think it was intentional at the behest of the cell companies. They couldn't stand that people were using unlimited data to stream on their tv's using the cable, instead of paying for a mobile hotspot and an additional data plan. They KNOW that most people would rather watch on their tv instead of a phone screen, so they shut off the capability to do so. Dinrail nailed it with his comments. I think streaming with unlimited data using the hdmi dongle is history. Apple needs to disclose that on the packaging and marketing for the cable--that it will work with many apps, but NOT most streaming tv services.

In any case, I did find a workaround that is a bit of a pain, but doable.

Using your unlimited data, download your shows on the various apps. My iPhone 13 is 1 TB so I have plenty of memory. Then, put your phone on Airplane mode. Then play the downloads on your tv via the cable. This works for me with Netflix and sometimes HBOMax. With Hulu, I only get video, but no audio, so that's a bust.

Not sure who to credit with this hack, I read it on one of these forums somewhere. So it provides 'some' relief at least for Netflix.

What a freaking hassle.

Nov 28, 2022 6:40 PM in response to Loveisinthehair

Thanks for the update. Netflix will not work for me. IOS 16.1.1. Weird that it works for you. This is with your phone using cellular data? I have done this for two years with no trouble, it only started a couple weeks ago when I foolishly updated to 16.1 and then 16.1.1. So frustrating.

Does anyone know...if you stream on your phone, does it use less data than if you stream on your phone and then mirror on a tv using the HDMI adapter cable? Does the streaming app somehow have to provide higher resolution going to a larger screen, and therefore more data? If so, that would explain why the cellular companies wanted this killed off...using more data on the unlimited plans by watching on a tv vs the tiny phone screen.

Jan 3, 2023 2:01 AM in response to yoda_man86

Since I updated my iOS to 16.2 to my inexpensive, lightning adapter doesn’t work as well. It does work with almost everything on Crackle an does work ( if you get the app in your area)for LocalNow. Also a lot, but not all YouTube works; depends on who’s providing the content. Good luck out here in the wonderful digital world 🤟🤟🤟

I'm having issues with the lightning/hdmi connector since iOS 16 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.