Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 pro max black screen and dead

As I woke up this morning, my newly purchased iPhone 14 Pro Max went black screen and dead. It took me about 20 minutes to force a restart. Anyone else had this problem before? Is this because of the “always on” function?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 7:59 AM

volume up quick, volume down quick, then power button hold. This reset worked for me. I had this black screen issue happen twice already. I hope this a temporary problem.

19 replies

Sep 25, 2022 7:20 PM in response to Theone0916

Theone0916 Said:

"iPhone 14 pro max black screen and dead: As I woke up this morning, my newly purchased iPhone 14 Pro Max went black screen and dead. It took me about 20 minutes to force a restart. Anyone else had this problem before? Is this because of the 'always on' function?"

-------

Troubleshooting a Black iPhone Screen:

Try Swiping-Down from the top-right corner of your screen. See if that rids of this window. If not, I'd say the iPhone is stuck in a boot loop(because it was updating), or is simply frozen. So, if swiping down does not work, refer to the following... Try as Instructed here: How to Fix an iPhone in a Boot Loop - User Tip

No success?...

Try the Tips at these Apple Support Links:

Sep 27, 2022 7:08 AM in response to Theone0916

To answer your question, yes I did have the always on feature on.......

Full story:

So yesterday, this happened to me. The phone spontaneously went black. The battery was at about 48% when it died. I was having absolutely no luck getting any responsiveness out of my phone at all. However, my family has this app called "Life 360". On that application they could see that my phone was active and charging. But if you called it, it went straight to voicemail.

My phone was plugged in the entire time. I followed the "volume up, volume down, power" routine a few times with no luck. Then, I did the apple support chat. About 20 minutes into the chat, my phone spontaneously turned back on. It was then at 55% battery. I haven't had an issue since.

I was using the "always on" feature that is the default setting. I did do the software update as soon as my I got my phone. I have absolutely no idea what happened and neither did the tech on apple support.

Oct 4, 2022 1:54 AM in response to ivankintler

I've just experienced this too on my 2 week old 14 Pro.

My phone always goes on charge overnight with no issues but this morning it was completely dead. It took about 15 minutes to reset it and get it started and when I checked battery charge status it appears it was all good until dead on 3am when charging stopped completely.

I have the Always On feature turned OFF and it's running 16.0.2.

Oct 4, 2022 3:23 PM in response to Theone0916

I had this happen yesterday. Phone was about 80% charged and not being used. Pick it up to discover the ‘black screen of death’.

Used ‘Find my iPhone’ to discover that it was still alive. Plugged the phone into my computer and no interaction.

eventually did a soft reset and it slowly came back to life.

Needless to say… NOT HAPPY JAN

After some searching on this, it appears this has been a ‘Feature’ of iPhones for a while now with this issue going back a few models now.

I need a reliable phone! I just updated to this phone and this black screen problem is just not good enough. Please Apple get this sorted!!!

Jan 14, 2023 2:58 AM in response to Theone0916

Mine was working till i left a security cam app on. When the phone went into sleep mode it wouldn’t wake up… the press up volume quickly then the down volume quickly then press and hold the side button till the apple logo appears did work. Its a 2.5 weeek old phone so i might bring it back to the Apple Store for a look see and maybe a replacement.

Feb 23, 2023 5:36 AM in response to Theone0916

I have a iPhone 14 Pro and I had the exact same thing happen to me on 22 Fab 23 Morning. When I went to bed on the previous night, the battery was just below 50%. So left it on change, got up in the morning and no life on the phone (black screen). After pressing lots of buttons on the phone it restarted eventually and the battery was showing 78% charged. I never encountered such an issue before with any of my previous iPhones. There is something wrong. I hope apple will address this issue soon before its too late.

ios 16.3.1

Yes, I had always on as well.

iPhone 14 pro max black screen and dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.