Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpods Pro 2 not showing up in findmy

Hi,

I haven't been able to have my airpods pro 2 show up in findmy, both on my iphone and ipad.

I have reset the device multiple times, but it kept failing to show up there.

I'm able to use it on my iPad with no problem without reconnecting it, which I figured means that the device is registered under my apple ID.

Any tips on how to resolve this ?

Below are information about the iPhone and airpods:

iPhone XS Max

iPhone Model Name: iPhone Xs Max

iOS Version: 16.0.2 (20A380)

Airpods Pro 2

Model Number: A2618

Firmware Version: 5A377

Hardware Version: 1.0.0

By the way there were some odd behaviors with this airpods pro:

• I had to press the button on the back of the case to connect this airpods pro to my iPhone prior to resetting the airpods pro. After resetting it, I was able to just press connect on the airpods pop-up on my iPhone and it connected immediately.
  • At one point it seems to show up under my wife's apple id account in findmy (even though this airpods pro 2 is brand new), but it wasnt' able to locate or play sound. I then removed the airpods pro 2 from my wife's account, reset the airpods pro 2, and reconnected it, and wasn't able to get it to show anywhere again, even on my wife's account
  • At one point it was also showing up with a different airpod name that belonged to my son, which I have removed from findmy, prior to connecting the airpod. Again, I removed it from findmy, reset the airpods, and reconnected. It still didn't show up.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 3:38 PM

There’s definitely something wrong with the “Find my” with the AirPods Pro 2. Mine work like a dream, but when the ear buds are back in the case for a while they just disappear from the “Find My” App, so no way in finding them if they happen to be lost. The only way I can get them to show again is open the case next to my iPhone, which even then they sometimes say the location is unavailable of the AirPods due to not being fully set up, which they are.

iPhone 13, iOS 16.0.2

83 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2022 3:38 PM in response to OndrejPisa

There’s definitely something wrong with the “Find my” with the AirPods Pro 2. Mine work like a dream, but when the ear buds are back in the case for a while they just disappear from the “Find My” App, so no way in finding them if they happen to be lost. The only way I can get them to show again is open the case next to my iPhone, which even then they sometimes say the location is unavailable of the AirPods due to not being fully set up, which they are.

iPhone 13, iOS 16.0.2

Oct 2, 2022 2:41 AM in response to RobTheMighty

I am having this same issue: AirPod Pro 2 doesn’t show up anywhere on Find My devices. I cannot ping anything. They connect and play music, but if ever misplace the case or earbuds, I won’t be able to locate them on the app.

I called Apple and they cannot figure it out and was told to reset my phone. That’s doesn’t seem logical to me, because I have tried forgetting them on the phone and setting them up through either the Mac or the iPad. Doesn’t matter - the AirPods and case never show up in Find My, regardless of how many times I forget the device and reset the case.

I may return them if Apple cannot provide a fix other than “reset your phone and see if that works.”

Jan 23, 2023 5:42 AM in response to deandash

I think the cause of the issue, I presume, is that the communication between the case and the iPhone or Macbook is unstable. Unlike AirPods Pro 1, the 2nd generation communicates with Apple devices through the earbuds and the case. You can meet the same symptoms if the communication between the case and an Apple device is out or unstable. AirPods Pro 1st generation only has a communication link in the earbuds, and its case does not. So, the 1st doesn't have this issue, unlike the 2nd.

I saw one man who tried my way. :)

my airpods pro 2 case will not play sound… - Apple Community

Of course, my suggestion will not be a perfect solution. But I hope it helps you.

Please refer to steps below.

How to figure out the issue?

1. Turn off iPhone.
  2. Remove APP2 device(Forget Device) from MacBook Pro
  3. Connect APP2 to MacBook using lightning to USB-C cable which is in the APP2 Box, not through Bluetooth. Then the MacBook will ask you to accept an accessory or not. Accept it. This step is important. I guess MacBook resets the case of APP2 via this wired connection. But I... don't know the why exactly.
  4. Cut the wired connection above step3.
  5. Reset your App2; Press white button back side of the APP2 Case.
  6. Establish new Bluetooth connection of APP2 to MacBook.
  7. You can hear charging sound of APP2 case again after the step6 in connecting charge cable.
  8. Turn on iPhone.
  9. Turn off the "Find my iPhone". The menu is in Setting -> ID -> Find My. And Turn it on again. APP2 will be on the map of Find My again after this step.
  10. Play sound of APP2 in Find My. If you can hear APP2's sound, Almost done.But iPhone doesn't show the connection with APP2 Box.
  11. APP2 case will establish new connection to your iPhone in couple min. You can check it out by the APP2's case icon on iPhone's battery check gadget.
  12. If you cannot see APP2 case in battery gadget, go to "Find My" and select APP2. Then play APP2's sound. Remember this step. iPhone will lose connection several times. Repeat this step for a day. It will be fixed.
  13. Enjoy Fixed APP2.

Good Luck.

P.S: I play the sound of the AirPods Pro 2 case in Find My on my iPhone every day to avoid this issue. :(

But the playing works! It pretends the issue is occurring.

I hope this issue is resolved. It irritates me every day.

Jan 23, 2023 6:07 AM in response to Onikusama

I think the cause of the issue, I presume, is that the communication between the case and the iPhone or Macbook is unstable. Unlike AirPods Pro 1, the 2nd generation communicates with Apple devices through the earbuds and the case. You can meet the same symptoms if the communication between the case and an Apple device is out or unstable. AirPods Pro 1st generation only has a communication link in the earbuds, and its case does not. So, the 1st doesn't have this issue, unlike the 2nd.

I figured that if I could reset the APP2 case, I would be able to reset the link between it and the Apple device. Therefore, I wanted to reset the APP2 case to reset the communication between APP2 and the Apple device, and the procedure below is the method I used for the reset. In addition to my process, I think there are many other ways to reset the APP2 case. Please find out the more straightforward way.

I saw one man who tried my way. :)

my airpods pro 2 case will not play sound… - Apple Community

Of course, my suggestion will not be a perfect solution. But I hope it helps you.

1. Turn off iPhone.
  3. Connect APP2 to MacBook using lightning to USB-C cable which is in the APP2 Box, not through Bluetooth. Then the MacBook will ask you to accept an accessory or not. Accept it. This step is important. I guess MacBook resets the case of APP2 via this wired connection. But I... don't know the why exactly.
  7. You can hear charging sound of APP2 case again after the step6 in connecting charge cable.
  8. Turn on iPhone.
  9. Turn off the "Find my iPhone". The menu is in Setting -> ID -> Find My. And Turn it on again. APP2 will be on the map of Find My again after this step.
  10. Play sound of APP2 in Find My. If you can hear APP2's sound, Almost done.But iPhone doesn't show the connection with APP2 Box in the Battery gadget in your iPhone.
  11. APP2 case will establish new connection to your iPhone in couple min. You can check it out by the APP2's case icon on iPhone's battery check gadget.
  12. If you cannot see APP2 case in battery gadget, go to "Find My" and select APP2. Then play APP2's sound. Remember this step. iPhone will lose connection several times. Repeat this step for a day. It will be fixed.
  13. Enjoy Fixed APP2.

Good Luck.

P.S: I play the sound of the AirPods Pro 2 case in Find My on my iPhone every day to avoid this issue. :(

But the playing works! It pretends the issue is occurring.

I hope this issue is resolved. It irritates me every day.

Oct 5, 2022 5:17 AM in response to deandash

I had same issue, AirPods Pro 2 was not visible in the Find My, I did same as someone mentioned here, disabled Find My for my iPhone 11 Pro and after few minutes enabled it again, after this I started to see AirPods Pro 2 in the Find My, but without case, then I unpaired them and paired again, after this they are visible properly in Find My including case and I can find case as well.

Jan 19, 2023 10:26 AM in response to deandash

my AirPods pro 2 case will not play sound… - Apple Community

I figured it out with my MacBook.

1. Turn off iPhone.
  8. Turn on iPhone.
  10. Play sound of APP2 in Find My. If you can hear APP2's sound, Almost done.But iPhone doesn't show the connection with APP2 Box.
  13. Enjoy Fixed APP2.

Good Luck.

Sep 27, 2022 7:16 AM in response to deandash

Hello,

It is nice to read a post on the exact same problem I'm experiencing right now. This gives me confidence in the future for this problem to be fixed.

I bought the AirPods Pro 2 today and have the same Find-My problems.

iPone SE

iOS Version: 16.0.2 (20A380)

AirPods Pro 2

Model name: AirPods Pro (it does not display AirPods Pro 2)

Model Number: A2618

Firmware Version: 5A377

Case: 3.64.0

(The earpieces have the sensor in the middle, and the case has sound output and the ring for a cable. I do have AirPods Pro 2)

As in the case of deandash above, I also had to pair the first time trough the Bluetooth menu in the settings app of my phone. I tried to open the case next to my phone, but I got a prompt to 'Update iOS' for this feature. I connected manually before updating, and when I had access to WiFi I started my iOS update. The Find-My problems where there before, and after the update.

After 'forgetting' the AirPods and removing them from my iCloud account and then reconnecting the AirPods, I now could connect trough just opening the case next to my phone.

In every situation my iPhone shows all the correct images of the AirPods Pro 2 and its case, but it is called just AirPods Pro without the 2 everywhere else. In as well in the settings app, as in the Find-My app. Online I saw Find-My screenshots where the 2 was showing in the list of devices. Also is the AirPods Pro 2 Case not available in the Find-My app.

As if it's really handeling the AirPods Pro 2nd generation as if they where the 1st generation, and only showing the right images of the 2nd generation in the menus

So trough Find-My I am able to make the left and right AirPods to make a sound, but I am unable to select the case.

Hopefully you guys at Apple can come back to us with a solution for this.

Thanks in advance :)

Oct 4, 2022 3:22 AM in response to deandash

I've had this issue too. I spent a long time on many different calls to Apple support and in the end I have returned the Air Pods and am expecting a replacement. I'm hoping that a new set will fix the issue for me.

We tried pretty much everything mentioned in this thread. Updating, resetting, removing the apple ID, turning off Find My, rebooting the phone, removing any VPN configs, removing Focus settings in various orders. We gave up after I connected the Air Pods to my work phone and work apple ID which is pretty "vanilla" and it exhibited the same behavior - After the Airpods were connected I could only get them to show in Find My if the case was open. Eventually I would get a "setup incomplete" message in Find MY.

Oct 7, 2022 5:47 AM in response to IrishNinja716

So I returned my original set of AirPod Pro 2's after trying everything under the sun, and today received my new pair. Literally took 2 seconds to connect up and boom everything was working. I can now find the case, it makes a great sound and I can use the Iphone to direct me to where the case is. I have never been able to do any of this. So it looks like it was a hardware issue.

If you are having issues with your Find My and AirPod Pro 2s then I suggest you return them for a new set.

Sep 27, 2022 11:22 PM in response to MKolthof_

Update on my first post about being able to find my AirPods Pro 2 earpieces, but not being able to find the case.

This morning I opened the settings page for my AirPods Pro 2, and when I tapped on the see in Find-My button, the case was actually there. So for me the problem is solved now.

I thought my phone was handeling my AirPods as if they where from the first generation, but they are still called AirPods Pro without the 2. I think that the screenshots I mentioned earlier where the AirPods Pro where mentioned with an 2 added to it, that it was actually showing the name you can assign to it. Mine are called 'AirPods Pro van Maarten' and I think the person who made the screenshot had them called 'AirPods Pro 2' for more clarity in his post.

Hopefully other people benefit the same as me with rechecking after giving it some time.

Sep 28, 2022 5:31 AM in response to deandash

I’m also having problems with the find my function - my new Airpod pro 2s aren’t showing up at all on my device list or in find my app. They pair fine, work fine so far but I’m frustrated that they aren’t fully functional.

I’ve got an iPhone 11 with iOS 15.7 installed.

EDIT - I’ve just seen someone mention that you have to have iOS 16 to use the find my function. I really didn’t want to install that yet until the battery bugs were ironed out :/

Sep 28, 2022 7:18 AM in response to deandash

I am having similar issues with the AirPods Pro 2. It looks to me that it's not completing full set up in FindMy because I have an iPad that is is at iPadOS 15.7.1, and a MacBook Air on Monterey 12.6. My thought is that since those devices do not yet support the full feature set for the AirPods Pro 2, that setup completes as if they are only Generation 1.

I can fully see them on iCloud.com and play sounds through the AirPods themselves but not the case. They sometimes show up in the FindMy app on different devices, except on my iPhone 13 Pro with IOS 16.0.2. On that app it only shows as No Location Found and AirPods Setup Incomplete.

It would be great if support could confirm this thought about it being mixed OS versions causing the issue. I don't feel like removing devices from my account yet to test it myself.

Jan 19, 2023 10:42 AM in response to alexbird

Yes, you are right.

But I experienced the same issue without switching, just with iPhone alone.

I replaced it three times before I figured the issue out at BestBuy. :(

A Mac(laptop or iMac) is needed to complete this issue.

The hint was how to update the beta firmware of APP2 before regular.

App2's beta firm-up needs a wired connection with MacBook.

Please let me know why the connection between iPhone and APP2 resets through the wired link above.

My Fixing process is below.

1. Turn off iPhone.
  8. Turn on iPhone.
  13. Enjoy Fixed APP2.

Sep 27, 2022 11:37 AM in response to MKolthof_

Hi folks,

the same issue on my side:

AirPods Pro (2nd gen): A2618

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16.0.2

iPad Pro 2020 iPadOS 15.7

Macbook Pro 2021 (14”, M1 Pro), macOS 12.6

Basically the airpods pro work - the sound, ANC, adaptive transparency mode are great! BUT! I can see them in Find My ONLY on my iPhone (and Apple Watch with watchOS9), however I cannot find them “locally”, not able to ping the speaker and I cannot set the chime while charging ON/OFF - the option is disabled and always ON

Airpods Pro 2 not showing up in findmy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.