iPhone 14 Notifications / text sounds not working¡

Anyone having trouble with iphone 14 pro app notifications not sounding? I see notifications coming up in notification center but not making any sound.

any suggestiot to troubleshoot this.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 9:07 PM

I just activated my new iPhone 14 Pro Max about a week ago and I am having the same issue. My phone is not sending the notification sounds when I have messages as well as many other apps while in the Lock Screen. All the settings are correct. I see I am not alone with this problem, when will there be a fix, you pay too much money for these expensive phones and it cannot provide you the basic feature you need on a daily basis.

203 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2022 9:07 PM in response to mountainmanpatriot

I just activated my new iPhone 14 Pro Max about a week ago and I am having the same issue. My phone is not sending the notification sounds when I have messages as well as many other apps while in the Lock Screen. All the settings are correct. I see I am not alone with this problem, when will there be a fix, you pay too much money for these expensive phones and it cannot provide you the basic feature you need on a daily basis.

Nov 7, 2022 2:42 PM in response to sagarshah1983

I have the same trouble and it is clear that the problem is with the software, but not with the phone settings, bc sometimes I’m getting sound notifications and sometimes not at all, so random.

Apple technicians, pls stop asking us to check our phone settings or suggesting flip the side mute switch, this is not our first iphone and we know exactly how it’s works and how it suppose to work. Raise this issue at the software developers level and fix this lag!

Nov 22, 2022 2:34 PM in response to sagarshah1983

I am having the same problem. I bought the phone last week and I am having this issue. After hours on the phone with tech support, it turns out BLUETOOTH is the problem. When BLUETOOTH is OFF, the notifications ring and vibrate as normal whether the screen is off or on. When BLUETOOTH is ON, once the screen locks, I hear nor see any indication of notifications. This is not a solution more so an identification as to where the problem originates. Having Bluetooth off permanently is not feasible.

Jan 10, 2023 4:21 AM in response to sagarshah1983

I think I just fixed it. I went to the top right corner where the wifi and battery icons are and held and dragged down slightly until the control panel came up. The volume was on mute. I put my finger on it and slowly dragged up so that it was no longer on mute. When I got my next messenger message, on the closed screen, the notification sounded. I don't know if it will help anyone, but it has worked on mine.

Oct 12, 2022 3:15 AM in response to sagarshah1983

I’m having the same notification problems on a brand new iPhone 14 pro iOS 16.0.2. No notification sounds at all on many apps. eg news sources not only 3rd party but Apple apps as well. No notifications at all on many apps. sound or otherwise. Some notifications sometimes on some apps. Rarely know of a new notification unless I physically check. Whole phone figured correctly. Apple Genius Bar checked all settings, rebooted etc. etc. and failed to solve the problem. Two and a half hours on the phone with Apple Care working long and hard but also failed to solve the problem. None of the fixes suggested on this thread, by Apple or anywhere else have worked for me. I’m not happy.

Jan 6, 2024 10:41 AM in response to sagarshah1983

I have exact the same issues, my iPhone 15 Pro with iOS 17.2.1, sometimes doesnt make notification-sounds.

this happens totally random, with different Apps.

i have called Apple Support as well, they have checked all standart sound settings but could not solve this problem.

and the have simply closed my ticket without solution.

if this is the way how Apple Support works, we will never get a solution.

btw. I dont understand, why this issue has more than 2100 „me to“ votes, but only 24 up votes….?

Feb 5, 2023 5:16 PM in response to sagarshah1983

I found the FIX for this issue today. Once you upgrade to a new phone the Notification got screwed up on the phone

1. Go to Settings Tile
  2. Then go to Notifications
  3. Next Notification Style
  4. You have to REDO your Notification for every app when you switched phones it got Screwed up somehow
  5. For some reason every Alert Style is selected on my phone and UNTIL you pick one you WILL NOT GET ALERTS FOR THAT APP.
  6. Also look at other setting bc some have Announcing the Alert which I personally do not do lol
  7. Hope this Helps but it fixed My Notifications for my Phone
  8. Apple should compensate me for my hard work.

Dec 28, 2022 6:05 PM in response to sagarshah1983

Just popping on here to say, I too have this issue. And if it is indeed because of Bluetooth being enabled, that is absolutely ridiculous! Just because I have a smart watch, doesn’t mean I don’t want to hear notifications sounds on my phone when I get messages! And if we have to turn off Bluetooth in order to hear notification sounds, what is the point of buying an Apple Watch!?!

I also have issues with the camera. Macro mode is garbage! The camera app won’t focus on the subject in macro mode, so the pics are blurry. I DID just learn of a work around for that, kind of, but the pics still turn out a bit “noisy” and pixilated. Also, when I tried to record video at a concert, after 15 seconds the entire camera app freezes, and I have to force close the camera app, and restart it again, only to have it freeze up again after another 15 seconds.

Both of these issues started happening immediately after I got my 14 pro max on release day, and continue even though I am keeping up to date on software updates.

iPhone quality has seriously gone downhill in the past several years

Jan 7, 2023 12:22 PM in response to sagarshah1983

I wonder why Apple Support is no longer responding? I also just got my 14 Pro Max this month and have been experiencing a few odd issues that I initially dismissed. I even rebooted my phone a couple of times thinking that was the issue. But then today, while I typically don’t have my text notifications audible, I needed it today and was shocked to see they don’t work and got on Google to search for answers. I’ve also noticed that when I’m connected to Car Play that my voice either isn’t detected or it misses many of my words. Also, “Hey Siri” doesn’t always work (doesn’t hear me?). What the heck!? I eagerly upgraded from iPhone 12 ProMax and I honestly think it was a superior phone in many ways. I’m disappointed to read how many have reached out to Apple Support and have gotten no answers.

BTW- the Bluetooth setting turned OFF did actually allow my text notifications to be audible when my phone was locked. But I don’t want to leave the Bluetooth off with my watch, speakers, etc.

Anyone else having issues with the phone not “hearing” you or Siri not responding consistently to “Hey Siri”?

Jan 16, 2024 6:20 AM in response to sagarshah1983

I have had the same problem now for a few months, and when I read some of these threads, it led me to the upper right drop down menu (charging, signal strength). When I looked at the options, I noticed my airpods were still synced even though I hadn't used them in a day or so. When I disconnected them, my notifications started again. Not sure if that's your issue, but it may help if you use airpods also.

Oct 2, 2022 7:00 PM in response to sagarshah1983

Hey there sagarshah1983,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. To get started, have you ensured that all the settings for the apps are set up correctly using the 'Related Article', Use notifications on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support that was shared on this thread?

For this particular issue, we'd recommend ensuring that you have a notification sound selected for the apps you're not hearing notifications for using the steps under the "Change alert styles " section.

Change alert styles
1. Go to Settings and tap Notifications.
2. Select an app under Notification Style. 
3. Under Alerts, choose the alert style that you want. If you turn on Allow Notifications, choose when you want the notifications delivered—immediately or in the scheduled notification summary.

With iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 or later, you can turn on Critical Alerts for supported apps so notifications come through even if your iPhone is muted or you have a Focus set up.

If still having issues, we'd also recommend checking for any Focus features that may be enabled and preventing notifications from being received as expected. For help with checking your Focus settings, check out this next link here: Use Focus on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Keep us updated on the results.

Have a great day!

Oct 3, 2022 6:05 AM in response to sagarshah1983

sagarshah1983,

Try the steps listed here to see if they resolve the issue: If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

1. "If your device has a Ring/Silent switch, move the switch forward—toward the device's display—so that orange isn't showing. If you're using an iPad, you can also swipe down from the top-right corner to open Control Center and make sure that Silent Mode is off. 
  2. iPhone ring/silent switch
  3. Open Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb and make sure that Do Not Disturb is off.

Contact Apple Support

If you checked the sound settings and your device still has sound issues, contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

If you want to try more steps on your own

If you prefer, here are some more steps you can try on your own. After following these steps, you might still need to contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

1. Remove all screen protectors, films, or cases from your device. 
  2. Check the speaker opening to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure that the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 
  3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure that the brush is clean and dry.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you don't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker might need service.
  5. If you hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear, or hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try to call again later, or from a different location."

For more help, reach out to Apple Support directly here: Get Support

Cheers!

iPhone 14 Notifications / text sounds not working¡

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.