Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone voice to text not working

Voice to text is not working . The microphone is enabled and works in other apps, just not messages.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2024 9:26 AM

Did this ever get resolved? I have the exact same issue with Text and Email only AND the microphone icon shows on both apps. This worked a week ago and stopped around the same time as an update (on 17.4 (215E5195e))

Voice recorder works, Siri work, i havent checked many other apps

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2024 9:26 AM in response to pmdz1

Did this ever get resolved? I have the exact same issue with Text and Email only AND the microphone icon shows on both apps. This worked a week ago and stopped around the same time as an update (on 17.4 (215E5195e))

Voice recorder works, Siri work, i havent checked many other apps

Nov 2, 2022 12:27 PM in response to jmarse1

I have tried ALL of the suggestions from Apple, YouTube, etc. My microphone works everywhere EXCEPT to voice text in text messages and email. There HAS TO BE A PROBLEM. And I can see that others are having same problem during same time period. That suggests a problem overall for iphone 11 (I am on iOS 16.0).

Dec 20, 2023 3:03 PM in response to MIKL6180

Suddenly there is no option to send voice texts in the messaging interface. The user-interface has changed. The microphone icons available only function in dictation mode.

*begin rant*

It's getting old dealing with large companies like Apple iOS and Google Chrome, Windows OS. Always making dramatic changes to core user interfaces and altering fundamental tasks. In there attempts to make life easier, make it more complicated. Can I get an amen?

*end rant*

Oct 14, 2022 1:30 PM in response to MIKL6180

Hi, MIKL6180

You'll need to make sure you're following these steps to dictate text:

"Dictate text

1. Tap to place the insertion point where you want to insert text.
  2. Tap the Dictate key on the onscreen keyboard or in any text field where it appears (as in Messages, for example). Then speak.
  3. If you don’t see the Dictate key, make sure Enable Dictation is turned on in Settings  > General > Keyboard.
  4. As you speak to insert text, iPhone automatically inserts punctuation for you. You can insert emoji by saying their names (for example, “mind blown emoji” or “happy emoji”).
  5. Note: You can turn this setting off by going to Settings  > General > Keyboard and turning off Auto-Punctuation.
  6. When you finish, tap the Stop Dictation button.
  7. The onscreen keyboard showing the Dictate key (in the bottom-right corner), which you can tap to begin dictating text.

"

Dictate text on iPhone - Apple Support

If you still have issues afterwards, you'll need to reach out to Apple directly: Apple Support

Cheers.

iPhone voice to text not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.