Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop "Sign in to iCloud" request after restarting Mac

I had signed in with my personal Apple ID on my work computer for a project and since signed out. The "Sign in to iCloud" dialog shows with every restart and I would like to stop it without having to wipe the computer (reset to factory defaults) as suggested to clear information before selling a device.

Objective: completely remove Apple ID from Mac

What I have tried:

Based on articles on this forum, I have:

• cleared Keychain/tokens/removed references to my personal Apple ID
  • ensured iCloud Drive is turned off and removed directory structure related to Apple ID
  • deleted related folders in Library to force rebuild
  • removed the device from authorized list connected to personal Apple ID

Device:

• MacBook Pro (m1, 2020)
  • macOS Monterey V 12.6
  • admin privileges

Appreciate thoughts...

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 11:00 AM

Apple Support helped me solve this, and the combination of what I did above and a previous Community post [MacBook Air keeps asking for my Apple ID - Apple Community] fixed it. Embarrassed that I didn't find the posting before. Thanks Community for your support!

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 30, 2022 7:15 AM in response to DontFailMeApple

Hey DontFailMeApple,

You've done such a great job with the troubleshooting. At this point, we'd advise to contact Apple Support, so they can dig into this further with you.

Apple Support

Do not create a fake Apple ID.

If you think you may need one just for work, then that's fine. The below page has a nice list of what an Apple ID can be used for. Take a look and see if it helps you with that decision.

Where can I use my Apple ID? - Apple Support

Cheers!

Oct 30, 2022 5:23 AM in response to Lee_ms

Lee_ms, thank you for the additional questions.

• Circumstances where message shows: on MacBook restarts
  • Apps that need to be updated with my person Apple ID: no, not now. I had installed iMovie but have since uninstalled/removed
  • Connecting to a different network: assume you mean wifi, yes, have accessed a few; otherwise, my MacBook does not connect to networks or drives directly, rather, I access work cloud (Office365) files from a browser
  • Using a different Apple ID: I have not tried that as I only have 1, might create a fake one to test this suggestion
  • Employer-managed profiles: no

Thank you

Oct 25, 2022 12:42 PM in response to DontFailMeApple

Hi DontFailMeApple,

Thanks for including all the troubleshooting you've tried. Under what circumstances do you see that message? Did you download any apps that need to be updated with your personal Apple ID? If so, your device will require the password to maintain updates on that app. If that doesn't help have you tried connecting to a different network to see if the issue persists? Have you since signed in with a different Apple ID successfully? Is your Mac managed by any profiles from your employer? These questions will help us understand your issue better.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Take care.

Stop "Sign in to iCloud" request after restarting Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.