Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Usb C hub not working on MacOS Ventura

Hi guys,

I’ve updated my M1 Macbook Pro to MacOS Ventura 13.0. Ever since, the usb c hub of my Dough Spectrum ES07D03 stopped working (and it still is working on Windows).

I’ve allowed accessories to connect (setting is set at “Always” in System Preferences > Privacy & Security), and the OS asked me if i wanted to allow some USB peripherals to connect to the macbook.

After tweaking a bit here and there yesterday, it finally worked as it should. But this morning, it didn’t. Let me explain my setup quickly:

My Macbook pro is closed on my desktop, with an HDMI cable plugged in to it, going to my 2nd screen.

It has a thunderbolt 3 cable going into the Spectrum, and on the hub I have: a logitech dongle for a wireless headset, an usb-c webcam plugged in in the usb-c port, and usb hub from anker in the last usb A port, which powers mouse, keyboard, and external mic.

I used to just type randomly on my keyboard to wake the whole thing up. This morning, nothing happened. I opened my macbook and told me the following thing:

So i’ve tried unplugging everything and tada: when unplugging / plugging my mic back, everything went up and working.

But everytime my macbook goes into sleep mode, it does the same thing. I have to open the lid, then unplug / wait / plug my usb devices again to make it work correctly.

I'm thinking about downgrading to Monterey where everything was working perfectly, unless you guys know what i can do about it ?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 1:47 PM

Sharing my own solution that I discovered today. Short Version: Check your Allow accessories to connect option. You can find this in System Settings > Privacy & Security > Scroll down and you'll find it above FireVault. I changed this value to Automatically When Unlocked and it solved everything.

Long Version: I have a USB C display out to a monitor that has USB A ports. Display works without issues after updating to Ventura, but the USB A ports stopped reading devices. In addition to this, I noticed my external HDD wasn't direct connecting via USB C either. After several unplug/replug attempts, I noticed a prompt would pop up but disappear in less than a second. Had to record my screen and playback frame by frame to read it. It was asking me to allow the accessory to connect. I changed the value in the settings described above and solved all USB C issues including the HDD and hub! The strange thing is that the Allow prompt never showed up when I tried using the USB hub. My guess is that this prompt is not showing up for most devices and leaving Ventura users in the dark.

Similar questions

138 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 1:47 PM in response to asdfasdfasdf24

Sharing my own solution that I discovered today. Short Version: Check your Allow accessories to connect option. You can find this in System Settings > Privacy & Security > Scroll down and you'll find it above FireVault. I changed this value to Automatically When Unlocked and it solved everything.

Long Version: I have a USB C display out to a monitor that has USB A ports. Display works without issues after updating to Ventura, but the USB A ports stopped reading devices. In addition to this, I noticed my external HDD wasn't direct connecting via USB C either. After several unplug/replug attempts, I noticed a prompt would pop up but disappear in less than a second. Had to record my screen and playback frame by frame to read it. It was asking me to allow the accessory to connect. I changed the value in the settings described above and solved all USB C issues including the HDD and hub! The strange thing is that the Allow prompt never showed up when I tried using the USB hub. My guess is that this prompt is not showing up for most devices and leaving Ventura users in the dark.

Oct 26, 2022 7:30 AM in response to lilgousse

lilgousse wrote:
booting in safe mode seems to make everything work perfectly...

to me, that would indicate that you have something installed in your normal user account that became an issue after upgrading your macOS.

i'm thinking you should download and run the free version of EtreCheck so we can see if you have some software installed that is causing your issue. make sure you give "full disk access" to etrecheck. Learn how to use it by reading Using EtreCheck. if you need help interpreting the report, you can see how to post the report here by reading How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report. and it automatically obscures sensitive things (like serial numbers) so you don't have to worry about sharing the report here.

Dec 28, 2022 8:14 AM in response to giantpaul1066

giantpaul1066 wrote:

Yeah- how come? I only hit reply. But yeah- first time on here . How come some Apple guys can’t just answer the question?? I’ve tried a few of theses suggestions and nothing’s working so far.

You weren’t the person who marked the answer as “Best Answer” as you are not the original poster.

This is a user-to-user forum. Apple’s participation in this forum is minimal. If none of the suggestions given have helped, it is perhaps time to have Apple evaluate your device:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Some diagnostics can be run remotely.

Jan 17, 2023 11:19 PM in response to lilgousse

Sounds almost ridiculous, but perhaps worth a try! Even though USB-C can be plugged in either right-side-up or upside-down, you can try flipping the usb-c plug. In my case, I was using a usb-c extension cable from my usb-c hub to my 2018 Macbook Air (also, I do not have the "Allow accessories to connect" option at all). I flipped the female USB-C plug and now my usb-C hub works again!

This is where I found the solution that worked for me. I can confirm and vouch that the following worked for me. Wired usb keyboard and mouse stopped work… - Apple Community

Jan 18, 2023 12:12 AM in response to D-D-L

D-D-L wrote:

Thanar
Unfortunately, that setting is not showing for my Intel based Mac Mini. However, it does show up for my M1 based MacBook Pro.

Do you know if there is away to set that using a terminal command?

This setting is only available on Mac Notebooks with  Apple silicon.

It does not apply to Intel Macs.

Allow accessories to connect to your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Allow accessories to connect to your Mac laptop with Apple silicon – Apple Support (UK)

Jan 1, 2023 5:17 AM in response to lilgousse

I am having a similar issue. Here is my setup:

• 13-inch MBP M1 2020 / 16GB
  • Ventura 13.0.1
  • QGeeM USB-C, Dual Monitor, Powered Hub
  • Single USB-C connector to QGeeM hub for USB, Power, 2 Monitors
  • Wireless Microsoft keyboard with USB dongle
  • Wireless Logitech trackball with USB dongle
  • Laptop is is kept closed on the desktop

Prior to the Ventura upgrade, I was able to wake the MBP with keyboard or mouse activity. After the upgrade, I must power cycle the USB hub or open the clamshell (which has limited space for opening). This is required after falling asleep — multiple times per day. I've taken to using the "KeepingYouAwake" utility to keep the mac awake for 8 hours so I don't have to power cycle so often.

I'm experimenting with other solutions. Just today I set the System Settings > Privacy & Security > Allow accessories to connect > Always ...

This did not solve it completely, but I was able to awaken the MBP with my Logi Trackball using the Bluetooth connection (it has both USB & BT). That was enough to get me to the login screen and then the USB keyboard was operational.

Previous attempts at using the Bluetooth option were successful in awakening the MBP but did not allow the USB keyboard to enter the login credentials.

Jan 4, 2023 11:55 AM in response to lilgousse

Not sure how similar this is, but I'm pushing some limits -

I have a very handy Plugable USB-C 4K which is

POWERING:

• 2021 MacBook Pro M1
  • Scarlett Focusrite 2i2

Several devices from USB-A and USB-C via many ports - two of which are loose Lightning cables I use for iPads, iPhones, etc. One is USB-A and one is USB-C (this is important)

CONNECTING:

• Samsung Odyssey G9
  • Samsung T55 Monitor #1
  • Samsung T55 Monitor #2

This setup has worked great for the last year. As of Ventura, it is being very finicky with the displays and, while it says it's charging my iPad and iPhones via the lightning cables mentioned above, they are definitely not charging. USB-A and USB-C have the same issues.

I'll acknowledge that this setup is a little ridiculous :)

Just curious if anyone has tried extra monitors as I have, using the Plugable USB-C 4k. Honestly, with the help of Display Maid, this setup, for my dev work, is INCREDIBLE.

Jan 10, 2023 9:32 AM in response to lilgousse

TLDR: Run the USB for your keyboard & mouse directly to your Mac vs. through the USB-C hub.

This is a follow-up to a previous post.

Personal System: 13-inch, Macbook Pro, M1, 2020, Ventura 13.0.1

Work System: 16-inch, Macbook Pro, Intel, 2019, Monterey 12.6

USB-C Hub: QGeeM, Dual Monitor, D6908-LX4

KVM: TESmart 2x1 HDMI

After setting the Privacy & Security > Allow accessories to connect > Always preference, I was still experiencing issues where my keyboard would not awaken my sleeping, closed-lid MBP running Ventura.

Today, I ran through some tests and determined that my QGeeM USB-C hub was not able to wake up my closed-lid 13" MBP M1 (2020). The Mac was refusing to recognize the USB keyboard & mouse. I also have my USB hub connected to a KVM so that I can switch between work & home MBPs.

In any case, as part of my testing I plugged my keyboard's wireless fob into my personal M1 Mac directly and it was able to awaken the closed-lid Mac. Since I have to share this across the KVM to my work Mac, I decided to plug the KVM's USB input directly to my personal Mac instead of running it through the QGeeM dual-monitor USB-C dock.

Now this works 100% of the time.

A few side notes:

1. Don't use the keyboard & mouse USB connections on the KVM as they will not transmit device information to the Mac
  2. Plug a USB hub into the USB 2.0 connection & plug the mouse & keyboard into the hub; then you can use your device drivers / software (like Logi Options)
  3. My KVM is a single monitor switch, so I use a remote controlled HDMI switcher to manage my 2nd screen
  4. The QGeeM hub uses DisplayLink Manager software to run the second screen. This is needed on the 13-inch M1 2020 since it can only power one monitor.

Jan 18, 2023 1:57 AM in response to Thanar

I tried this and it did not fix the problem for me. I changed it back to "Automatically when unlocked".

However, what did "work" for me was the following:

1. After plugging in a Satechi USB-C Hub to my Mac, my external screen (connected via HDMI) stays blank
  2. Go to System Settings -> Displays and see that the display is recognized by the system despite it being blank
  3. I choose the external monitor, change the resolution from the default 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 (probably any other resolution would work as well)
  4. Voilà! The display starts showing a picture
  5. Turn the resolution back to the native resolution of 1920x1200
  6. Repeat the procedure every time I connect the USB-C dongle

Feb 1, 2023 4:40 AM in response to cpjjpeters

Forget what i've said: issue is not fixed at all. Actually, nothing has changed. I thought the opposite because after the reboot due to the upgrade to 13.2 (22D49), everything connected as it should. But I can confirm now that :

• waking up my MBP from sleep using external devices' input
  • auto recognizing devices when waking up from sleep

is not working.

Usb C hub not working on MacOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.