Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone battery drain since iOS 15.7.1 update

Did the "critical" update last night and now battery power is dropping like a rock. Happened a few updates ago as well. That required an additional update to rectify the battery drain issue.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2022 5:18 AM

Since updating to iOS 15.7.1, my iPhone 7 battery level goes from 95% at 9pm down to 0%-3% by 7am next morning, and that’s with almost zero use and NO apps open/running. My phone used to be able to idle for days between charging. I had battery replaced 1 year ago and Battery Health shows 97%.

Any thoughts?

37 replies

Nov 23, 2022 1:49 AM in response to iOS-Update1571

updated my wife's 6s to 15.7.1 last night - it has completely broken the battery usability. Goes from holding a charge for a couple of days to losing it completely in about 5 seconds. A few minutes on Google shows that it appears to be fairly common, almost as if it's a deliberate policy by Apple to make products obsolete. This change in battery performance occurred instantly after the 'upgrade' so I don't accept that it is due to natural degradation. Will be moving to Android based phones.

Jan 30, 2023 2:08 PM in response to DJDools

DJDools wrote: "If it's simply down to battery health (mine is 80%), then why did the issues arise once upgrading to IOS 15.7*?"

Simple: The long process of applying the iOS update put strain on your unhealthy 80% battery and was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back." (Users often mistakenly blame the iOS upgrade instead of their weak, degraded battery.)

And don't wait to replace the battery – as they tend to fail gradually and then suddenly. You may then find that your iPhone is 'bricked' and you can't prepare it properly for battery replacement.

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

õ¿õ¬

Dec 13, 2022 8:42 PM in response to iOS-Update1571

No actually, ios 15.7.2 is available now for public update after the trail with rc, you must try with this update and so far after updating to this software I’ve tested it with my Geekbench software performance was good and likely to be from ios 15.7, scores were good, battery is expected to be fine but nothing gone wrong till now

The lowest score by ios 15.7.1 and the better one is given by 15.7.2

Nov 19, 2022 7:39 AM in response to ChipKiii

The case could be the major bug fixing over the kernel issues and that might affect the battery life,even I own an iPhone 7 and replaced the battery earlier this month and it's health is almost 100 now and still I could the same issue like the battery drain even at no usage point.

I request apple to release another update to rectify this issue and it's not worth for apple to kill older and the most successful iPhone in such a way that haven't expected ever.!!

Dec 23, 2022 3:42 PM in response to iOS-Update1571

I Have had the same type of battery readings. But I don't think it is real. The power goes down very fast without heating the unit. Which is impossible. It can go down from 90% to something like 10% and a very short period of time. What I have found out though is if I turn the unit off and back on again It is often back up to 90% or if I don't turn it off and attempt to charge it it will go from 10% to 90% in just a matter of 10 or 15 minutes. Also impssible. I don't think there is a battery problem. I think there is a software problem.

Dec 27, 2022 4:56 AM in response to ChipKiii

My phone does the same exact thing with 92 percent battery health. I think it’s done to get people to buy a new phone. Since I updated it has gotten worse with iOS 15.7.1 as you had mentioned. I finish charging my phone to 100 percent before bed and the phone drops to 20 percent by the time I wake up. I had iOS 13 just before and it was manageable only dropping one percent an hour without any use. There is no reason the phone should be dropping more than one percent a hour not doing anything at night.

now I also have another iPhone which I refuse to update which is running on the first factory iOS which has a battery life which is almost the same as how I got it out of the box. Only drops five percent when I am sleeping.

the issue is many aps now require the latest iOS to work or else you can’t use them. Also the web browser if you don’t update iOS you can’t load web pages. So if you are fine with a basic phone on old iOS- then no problem

iPhone battery drain since iOS 15.7.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.