SMB File Sharing not working in Ventura

I use the SMB file sharing system to access files on my MBPro from my iPhone 12, on my local network. Until now, this has been robust, reliable and fast.

After updating my MBPro to Ventura 13.0 and my iPhone to iOS 16.1 I cannot connect the laptop to the phone or to my old iMac, running Monterey 12.6.

Connections between the old iMac and the iPhone work just fine.

Settings on the MBPro show that file sharing is enabled, but it is clearly not working. Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried all the usual stuff, rebooting, toggling the controls off and on, etc., to no avail.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2023 10:21 AM

The working solution for me

Add

/usr/sbin/smbd 

with Settings -> Network -> Firewall -> Options

Or

sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --add /usr/sbin/smbd
sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --unblockapp /usr/sbin/smbd

Interesting is that this reqiured even if Sharing is visible as allowed in firewall.

358 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2023 10:21 AM in response to tresinnoctem

The working solution for me

Add

/usr/sbin/smbd 

with Settings -> Network -> Firewall -> Options

Or

sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --add /usr/sbin/smbd
sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --unblockapp /usr/sbin/smbd

Interesting is that this reqiured even if Sharing is visible as allowed in firewall.

Nov 25, 2023 9:31 AM in response to tresinnoctem

I had some time to futz with this again, updates to 14.1.1 but could not get File Sharing to work by turning File Sharing off, rebooting the Mac (and router)then turning on File Sharing again.

As per this article, SMB File Sharing is supposed to happen on port 139.

TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

With Stealth Mode disabled in Firewall, I'm noticing Port 139 is not even listening.

Open TCP Port: 88     kerberos

Open TCP Port: 445    microsoft-ds

Open TCP Port: 625    dec_dlm

Open TCP Port: 3689   daap

Open TCP Port: 5000   commplex-main

Open TCP Port: 5900   rfb

Open TCP Port: 7000   afs3-fileserver

Open TCP Port: 49177

Open TCP Port: 49733

Port Scan has completed…

I opened up ports 135-139 on my Router (port forwarding to my Mac) but that did to bake any difference. To me, it looks like there's problem with the port that handles SMB transactions. Im getting Authentication errors when attempting to connect too server from the Files App (on iPad and iPhone) and this would explain that. If it can't connect to authenticate, well, that would explain it as that's the first thing in any session.

I tried nc -zv iMac.local 139 from he command line (stealth mode still disabled on Firewall) and returned this,

nc: connectx to iMac.local port 139 (tcp) failed: Connection refused

So. clearly, there is an issue with the SMB port. Still stumped....

Jan 30, 2023 11:01 AM in response to tresinnoctem

For Ventura 13.2, my SMB sharing issue was due to custom Drive icons as described in this other community thread:

macOS 13.2 Ventura cannot connect to smb … - Apple Community

Removing the custom drive icons and rebooting restored SMB sharing for me on 13.2. Here is how to remove the custom icon:

1. On your Mac, select the file or folder.
  2. Choose File > Get Info in the menu bar.
  3. At the top of the Info window, select the small custom icon.
  4. Make sure you click the small icon at the top of the Info window (not the large icon under Preview).
  5. Choose Edit > Cut in the menu bar.

Feb 16, 2023 12:00 PM in response to kpmelocoton

I found something which worked for me: remove all extended attributes of the shared directory.

Either one by one using something like:

$ xattr /path/to/shared/dir
com.apple.FinderInfo
com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags
purgeable-drecs-fixed

$ xattr -d com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags /path/to/shared/dir
$ xattr -d purgeable-drecs-fixed /path/to/shared/dir
$ xattr -d com.apple.FinderInfo /path/to/shared/dir

Or all directly:

$ xattr -c /path/to/shared/dir

Feb 3, 2023 11:13 PM in response to MaccedOut

Yes everything is reversible. Just move your files to a newly created and fresh folder and turn your firewall back on. This will automatically reset the permissions at the folder level. As for the enclosed items, yes it is fully reversible there too. But I suggest you learn how to use Batchmod first. There are tons of threads in this community you can look up that go into a lot of detail. Once the SMB file share is fixed, you'll also be able to set your permissions on there as well.

Here is a thread that talks about Batchmod in detail:

All sharing settings (users and folders a… - Apple Community

I don't want to persuade anyone into doing something that will cause bigger issues, which is why I only recommend this workaround if you know how to use Batchmod. So far it's worked great for me, but again I really hope Apple fixes the issue the correct way.

Feb 14, 2023 11:50 AM in response to macmarkco

To file a bug report, start here: Bug Reporting - Apple Developer

You have to register to be a Beta-Tester but that does not commit you to accepting beta upgrades. Once registered you will have access to a dialog box to submit, update and track bug reports, and the system will prompt you to upload some information about your system.

Don't expect frequent updates, but you will be notified if/when Apple thinks they have a solution.

Feb 15, 2023 5:43 AM in response to iBleedIn6Colors

It seems like there are several different issues contributing to the problems described in this thread.

I worked with Apple through its bug reporting system, sharing several of my system files along the way, and the 13.2.1 update seems to have fixed my issue.

I would strongly recommend that everyone who still has issues after installing 13.2.1 should make an official bug submission through Bug Reporting - Apple Developer They seem to be able to fix the problems if they get enough information to understand what is causing them.

Mar 1, 2023 2:15 PM in response to danielmcross

Somehow I got distracted and upgraded to 13.2.1 and everything broke again! what a huge mistake.....thought I was upgrading something els.e....YIKES!

It did not work at all yesterday but this AM it started to work, but a few hours later, file sharing quit.....A hard restart of the server made it work, but for how long.....

Everyone, please submit your bug reports to Apple as mentioned by this poster below...squeaky wheel gets the grease.

There is a 13.3 Beta release out there but it does not appear to address this issue.....so bombard them folks!

tresinnoctem

I would strongly recommend that everyone who still has issues after installing 13.2.1 should make an official bug submission through Bug Reporting - Apple Developer They seem to be able to fix the problems if they get enough information to understand what is causing them.

Nov 26, 2023 8:01 PM in response to MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY wrote:

Barney-15E wrote:
The guest login has nothing to do with the Guest account. It is just an anonymous login. That login would have access as determined by everyone.

I beg to disagree. I have the Guest User (user name) enabled with "Allow guest users to connect to shared folders" enabled.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/620e66d1-a673-410c-b826-d00ad86a0975

Using the FILES APP on my iPhone, I use "Connect to Server" using iMac.local. For the "Connect As" prompt, I'm selecting "GUEST" instead of "Registered User" (which prompts for Username and Password - GUEST does not) and it connects and displays shares as expected.

What password do you use for Guest login to a remote share?

Jan 3, 2023 11:31 AM in response to Les Vogt1

I came up with a workaround. I wish I thought of it sooner:

• using iCloud Drive on the file sharing M1 Ventura iMac, I shared a folder to the other users
  • from the other two older Macs, I had the users access the folder which appears in their iCloud Drive
  • they opened and edited files without any temp folders being created and no permission errors!

Maybe this can work for all of you.

Jan 12, 2023 8:26 AM in response to Les Vogt1

Les and All,

I found this:

1. Created User accounts for everyone, some Administrator some Standard
  2. Moved files from an old Mac mini running Mac OS Server (C 2010) to the new box - Macintosh HD/Users/Shared into 5 folders called Groups 1 through 4
  3. Gave Administrators and everyone else individual Read - Write access through System Preferences/General/Sharing/File Sharing......depending on which group they belonged to
  4. Everyone could see their assigned files through SMB file sharing
  5. However, I am the only one who can write to each file....everyone can read, but no one else can write
  6. When I save a Microsoft file, like others have said it creates a temporary file that will not delete through SMB.....going to the box that stores the files and logging in, those files can be deleted......another poster mentioned the same issue.

Any ideas on how to get the others to write? Remember, they already have permission based on #3 above.

Thank you

Bob

SMB File Sharing not working in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.