"This iPhone is Open in Another Window" error

I have song files on my MAC that I want to sync to iTunes/Music. This has ALWAYS worked. Please do not suggest "Just use the cloud" because many of my songs are different versions, not available on streaming services, higher quality, etc. BUT, when I go to sync recently, it will not allow me to click. my iPhone in left hand panel as I always had to sync playlists. INSTEAD, it just says "This iPhone is Open in Another Window". But it isn't? I've closed everything else. Re-started my Mac, etc. Same error over and over. Can I get rid of "This iPhone is open in another window" forever and ever? Thanks!!

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2022 7:33 AM

Found two workarounds!

the reason iTunes/Music isn’t working is because the Finder window is open; even if you closed Finder, you didn’t click out of the above screen before doing so. The easiest way to fix this is to relaunch Finder:

• Hold ///CMD+OPTION and press ESC while holding
  • Click on Finder, then Relaunch

But a quicker fix that worked for me is: clicking on the iTunes Store, on the left hand side of the Music (iTunes) window, then clicking back on your phone.

These both worked for me, I hope they work for you!

66 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2022 7:33 AM in response to dodgers1970

Found two workarounds!

the reason iTunes/Music isn’t working is because the Finder window is open; even if you closed Finder, you didn’t click out of the above screen before doing so. The easiest way to fix this is to relaunch Finder:

• Hold ///CMD+OPTION and press ESC while holding
  • Click on Finder, then Relaunch

But a quicker fix that worked for me is: clicking on the iTunes Store, on the left hand side of the Music (iTunes) window, then clicking back on your phone.

These both worked for me, I hope they work for you!

Nov 10, 2022 1:56 PM in response to dodgers1970

Hi dodgers1970,

Welcome to the Apple Community,

See this other discussion thread on a similar situation:

This iPhone is open in another window - Apple Community

Eg: this seems to have been a solution:

"I am not exactly sure what I did but I can now update and back up my iPhone via the Music app on my iMac.

I think it was from making sure both my devices are signed into iTunes"

All the best :-)

Dec 1, 2022 2:45 PM in response to grady20

Thank you for posting what worked for you, dodgers1970.

Re: Apple please fix this

In this community we are all Apple Users, like yourself, so we are all talking user-to-user.

To send feedback to Apple, there is a webpage available for that (link below)

They will likely not reply, but your feedback will reach those who can make changes.

The more feedback received on a topic, the more attention they may give to it.

Product Feedback - Apple

Mar 25, 2023 12:03 PM in response to soomuchstuff

soomuchstuff wrote:

same thing here, i tried the first thing with the cmd+options, closed finder, relaunched, that did nothing. now this second one, i have the new Imac M1 chip, and in music, and i DO NOT see anything called itunes,

iTunes no longer exists on Macs. It has been split into several separate apps:

• Music - what you used to call iTunes
  • Podcasts - Separated out from iTunes podcasts
  • TV - Separated out from iTunes videos
  • Finder - replaces the sync function of iTunes

Jun 26, 2023 10:33 AM in response to dodgers1970

My understanding is that since Apple replaced iTunes with Apple Music, the MacOS Finder manages physical syncing, including the interaction with the itunes db. Apple Music is just attempting to notify you of that fact. Assuming that is your issue, you should be able to click on your iPhone in Finder and manage the sync there.

In the image below, you can seethe Finder window on the right in the foreground managing the iPhone syncing via USB cable. On the left in background is Apple Music with the message "This iPhone is Open in Another Window"

Dec 7, 2022 5:46 AM in response to Chrisofthestoneage

I am a neophyte, but neither of the above worked for me. My Mac has Ventura 13 installed. Therefore there is no iTunes anywhere. Not as an app on desktop, within Finder or within Music. therefore the second option does not work.

For the first: are you saying - hold "///"? and then the CMD+option and escape? how does one hold the "///" I am sure it is obvious to the world what this means, but I have not been able to make use of this help.

Could you explain a little better for me? thanks

"This iPhone is Open in Another Window" error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.