iPhone text notifications are very loud

I have IPhone 14 pro max. When I'm on a phone call if I receive a text, the sound will be so loud on the speaker that's on my ear while on a phone call.

This never happened on my older Iphone's as they will only vibrate if I'm on the call.

I called apple support and lady couldn't find any setting that would put text and other notification on silent or lower the volume while on the phone call.

Is there a solution or should I return this phone to Apple since every other phone in this universe doesn't make you deaf by loud text tones while your phone is on your ear during a call.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 13, 2022 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 8:59 AM

Agreed. The notification is deafening when the phone is held up to my ear. It stinks to spend this much money on a phone and have little acknowledgment or responsiveness. I have not found a suggestion that solves this problem since September now.

71 replies

Dec 27, 2022 5:32 AM in response to damir268

I am having this same issue. I also have contacted apple and they just tell my to put my phone on silent when I’m on a call with the switch. I told them this is annoying and I shouldn’t have to be doing this. None of the other iPhones have done this. It is very loud and a health risk. I too hear like it is going to blow out my ear drum. The sounds are extremely loud and hurt my ear every time. Apple needs to address this ASAP

Jan 4, 2023 9:11 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Feedback and Genius Bar have not solved the issue so far. The only "fix" is to remember to manually turn the mute switch on and off every time those of us with an issue want to make or receive a call? I understand problems like this can arise, but this is not an inexpensive device and, if you've experienced it, you may not understand how blaring the notification is in the user's ear. It's not a minor inconvenience. It can leave your ear ringing when it unexpectedly comes through the speaker.

Nov 14, 2022 4:06 PM in response to damir268

Hi there damir268,

To keep unwanted noise from bothering you during calls, try adjusting your settings. For instance, adjust sound settings using the following guide: Change iPhone sounds and vibrations

If you want to change or limit the Notifications you're seeing for some apps, follow the guidance on this page to customize your options: Change notification settings on iPhone

Take care.

Nov 15, 2023 6:35 AM in response to damir268

I silenced ALL notifications while on a call.

1. Create a new Focus <Custom>
  2. Name it, etc. I named mine "Notifications Off with Calls'
  3. Select 'Customize Focus'
  4. Under SILENCE NOTIFICATIONS <People>
  5. Select 'Allow Notifications From': Verify/ set nobody is selected
  6. Click Next
  7. On Choose Calls to Allow select 'Allowed People Only'
  8. Click 'Done'
  9. Verify 'None allowed' is displayed under 'People'
  10. Click on 'Apps'
  11. On 'Allow Notifications From' Verify/ set only the Phone App is selected
  12. Click 'Done'
  13. Under 'Set a Schedule' select 'Add Schedule'
  14. Select 'App'
  15. Select 'Phone'
  16. Verify 'While using phone' is displayed below phone
  17. Back out and you should be all set.

Jan 14, 2023 6:52 PM in response to damir268

My wife and I had this exact same issue and we were able to re-create it, and stop it from happening. I think it’s still a bug and I don’t know exactly why it’s happening, but this is what happened to us.

If we power off our Apple Watch and then take the phone call and have a text message received then the loud noise from the text message notification will echo in your ear while you’re on the phone call. As everyone stated, this is actually quite painful and unsafe.

However, if we power the Apple Watch back on and repeat the same test being on the phone and receiving a text message, then we no longer get the loud text message notification in the ear while we were on the phone call.

We can repeat this over and over, don’t know for sure why this is happening. Our Apple watches line share with our phones and we also have Verizon service.

Hopefully, Apple will be reading these forums, and this user experience will be helpful for them to diagnose and fix the problem.

We have iPhone 14 Pro’s, and I have the Apple ultra watch and my wife has the Apple series 8 watch.

Both of our Apple iPhones are at 16.2 OS. Both of our Apple watches are at 9.2 OS.

Jan 17, 2023 7:51 AM in response to Dadalorian1

Interesting. I do not have an Apple Watch, but this could be useful information for Apple. My reporting via IdrisSeabright's link hasn't done anything yet, but it's worth getting as many reports as possible. I've also called 1800MYAPPLE and brought it up to Apple store techs. So far responses since September '22 range from "it's a feature" to "it will be resolved in a forthcoming update."

Jan 17, 2023 8:30 AM in response to zachieoh

zachieoh wrote:

Interesting. I do not have an Apple Watch, but this could be useful information for Apple. My reporting via IdrisSeabright's link hasn't done anything yet, but it's worth getting as many reports as possible.

No, you won't get a response from Apple. And no, there won't be an instant change just because you asked for it. But yes, if a large enough number of people make the same request, Apple may consider it.

iPhone text notifications are very loud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.