Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after upgrading to Ventura 13.1 external display resolution menu has only default resolution (too small) and low resolution options

Hi,

after upgrading to Ventura 13.1 my external display (Dell U49) has only default resolution with retina support (HiDPI). Everything looks small. It also doesn't have any scaling options.

how can I fix it?

P.S. before upgrade it has 3360:944 (HiDPI) option.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 12:09 AM

Similar questions

68 replies

Jan 26, 2023 11:04 AM in response to pharmgir1

I'm with you on this frustration. Try these steps and see if it works for you.

I fixed the issue by following these steps. Not sure what monitor you use, but my monitor is an LG 4k.

Steps to fixing issue with screen resolutions with ventura 13.0, 13.1, & 13.2:

This is for those that have LG 4k monitors and have experienced the screen resolution issues.

1. Unplug your USB-C monitor adapter or HDMI from the computer
  2. On your LG monitor navigate to the settings and locate the section where you can "reset" your monitor back to default settings ... *Be advised, If you do this, it will remove any previous customized settings you had for your monitor.
  3. Plug your USB-C monitor adpater or HDMI back into your computer
  4. Go to "settings" / "Display" on your mac
  5. You should now be able to adjust accordingly the resolution with HiDPI resolution for your external monitor.

after upgrading to Ventura 13.1 external … - Apple Community

Dec 14, 2022 6:10 PM in response to nickhuang0810

I have the same issue since upgrading to Ventura 13.1. Using USB-C direct connection to my MacBook Pro 2019 16" to LG wide screen 49" (don't need to mention what that cost) and no longer have control over resolution either and restricted to just an external display of my 16" Mac. Clam shell is lost and (preferred usage for my Mac) doesn't work either! Can't believe apple isn't addressing this issue??????????????

Apple, please have engineering team work on this ASAP!

Jan 25, 2023 2:37 PM in response to sidewaystech

So it looks like after I posted this youtube link of the person explaining how he fixed the issue, has now been removed. Not sure why that's the case, but I will explain briefly what I got out of the steps from the video that helped me resolve this issue:

This is for those that have LG 4k monitors and have experienced the screen resolution issues.

1. Unplug your USB-C monitor adapter or HDMI from the computer
  2. On your LG monitor navigate to the settings and locate the section where you can "reset" your monitor back to default settings ... *Be advised, If you do this, it will remove any previous customized settings you had for your monitor.
  3. Plug your USB-C monitor adpater or HDMI back into your computer
  4. Go to "settings" / "Display"
  5. You should now be able to adjust accordingly the resolution with HiDPI resolution for your external monitor.

This worked for me after 3 months of not being able to figure it out. In my case, just resetting the LG monitor settings back to default fixed the issue.

As far as others, I do not have an answer for you. You will just have to try it out for yourself and see if it works.

Please reply back if it works for you or even if it doesn't work. Helps the community keep informed here.

Good luck!

Jan 26, 2023 12:44 PM in response to tmmls

As far as I'm aware they do know about the problem. I talked to german support via phone (in december) and he said that he already knows about this and that they are already working on a fix. But who knows when and if they will ever fix this.

I was able to fix this issue for my 5120x1440 monitor with Better Display (https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay): I had to hit these buttons under settings and after a reboot I had all the HiDPI resolutions I ever wanted... not in system settings though but in the Better Display menu. But once set you don't need to run Better Display in the background and it looks like it doesn't have any overhead like Better Dummy. Currently working on 4096x1152 which is the equivalent to Windows 125% scaling. Even on a 110dpi screen this looks great and from a performance standpoint runs perfectly well on my 2019 MacBook Pro with two external monitors attached. I really don't get it why apple doesn't enable these options by default.

Feb 26, 2023 9:32 AM in response to andriusk79

My picture performance was always very good even if I resized the resolution and certainly did not see grainy text and icons like this bug that many users have.

After upgrading to ventura, I had all resolutions as 'low resolution options' except the default one. All the text and icons were grainy and looked bad.

Now I see everything perfectly as before I upgraded to Ventura.

The author of the post "szubov" had exactly the same problem as me.

I found a solution to the problem that worked for me.

Even before I upgraded to Ventura I never used the default resolution because it was too small for me and all the text and icons showed perfectly.

The problem here is that after upgrading to Ventura all resolutions became "low resolution option" except the default one (which is too small for some users).

Dec 19, 2022 1:38 AM in response to szubov

I have the same issue. It was already a bug in Ventura 13.0 and has already been addressed here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/449538/macos-ventura-upgrade-external-monitor-issues-with-benq-pd2700u Surprisingly, it has not been fixed in 13.1. This is really annoying I also just got a 49'' monitor and have to use BetterDisplay as a workaround which works fine but affects performance. I really DO hope that Apple fixes this issue ASAP as it is really annoying.

Dec 20, 2022 1:51 PM in response to szubov

I have the same issue after upgrading to Ventura 13.1 (earlier versions were fine). Text size is now very small on the external LG HDR WQHD with the default resolution. The other resolutions are just as small with poor resolution and no scaling. There is now seemingly no way to increase the text size on the external display which is very bad accessibility.

Text scaling on the built-in display works just fine as before, however.

Dec 20, 2022 9:32 PM in response to Socaldub2004

I am also having issues with my 2018 Mac Mini i5. I just upgraded to MacOS Ventura 13.1. My monitor is an LG UW 3840 x 1600. Prior to upgrading, I was able to change the resolution scale, but not anymore. WTH Apple!?

The current 3840 x 1600 (default) resolution is too small. Any suggestions on temporarily fixing this instead of dropping it to 3200 x 1334 (low resolution)?

I do hope they bring back the resolution scale setting.

after upgrading to Ventura 13.1 external display resolution menu has only default resolution (too small) and low resolution options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.