Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Generation Ipad Mini Unable to join network

My first generation Ipad mini has stopped connecting to my Xfinity wifi. I see the available connection in the network list, I can choose it and I get the password request, but when I enter the password I receive a "Unable to join network" message.

I have tried the following:

Restarted the router

Restarted the iPad

Turned off and on the wifi on the iPad

"Forgot" the network and tried to re-connect

Reset the network on the iPad

Stood less than a foot away from the router and tried all the above

Any other suggestions as to why I cannot connect? Other devices are fine when connecting to the wifi.

Thank you in advance.

iPad mini Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 10:07 AM

Your WiFi Router may be using WiFi security settings that are unsupported by your older model iPad.

Check your Router security settings; if using WPA3, your iPad mini will not connect. Instead of WPA3, enable WPA2 AES-PSK

Both your Router and client devices can only operate together at the lowest common denominator.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 10:07 AM in response to geof3

Your WiFi Router may be using WiFi security settings that are unsupported by your older model iPad.

Check your Router security settings; if using WPA3, your iPad mini will not connect. Instead of WPA3, enable WPA2 AES-PSK

Both your Router and client devices can only operate together at the lowest common denominator.

First Generation Ipad Mini Unable to join network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.