Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Turn Off Login Items Notifications?

Hi, running Ventura 13.1 on Mac Mini M1. I do not know how it happened but now every time I boot up, the right side of the screen is filled with these "Login Items Notification" messages. See screenshot. I have deleted unnecessary login items, disabled all apps running in the background, turned off all notifications in System Settings. Nothing worked. And I found nothing helpful when searching online, so maybe someone can tell me how to turn these **** things off.

Here is where I turned off all background updates and notifications

[Image Edited by Moderator]

Mac mini

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 7:40 AM

The worst part is that the messages are all generic: "Login Items Notification". Nothing to indicate *what* application is making that notification. If anyone knows of some way to turn on diagnostic logging that might capture that information, please let us know!

Similar questions

45 replies

Mar 22, 2023 7:23 AM in response to Barney-15E

Come off it, Barney. Your underlying assumption is that Apple's software couldn't possibly be buggy, which Ventura continues to show simply isn't the case. The OS update introduced a notification that adds very little to the average user's experience and introduces confusion or the possibility of error (like we're seeing here). I should be able to completely disable system notifications if I want, and there doesn't appear to be that option.

Introducing print drivers as your example is particularly disingenuous because we're talking about an OS vendor that requires you to use their software on their hardware. It's this sole OS vendor that introduced a buggy feature with no clear fix. I don't have to use printer software, but I have to use MacOS on my Apple hardware.

Here is a potential solution I found on MacRumors:

1. Open Finder, then select Go -> Go to Folder... in the menu bar.
  2. Copy and paste the following address into the input field and press Enter: ~/Library/LaunchAgents
  3. A Finder window will open at the LaunchAgents folder. Show the items as a list organized by name, then search for the app or developer name associated with the process that's causing the Login Items notifications.
  4. Delete the .plist file, then empty the Trash.
  5. Restart your Mac.
  6. If the above steps don't work, look in the ~/Library/LaunchDaemons folder. If there are launch daemons in there associated with the app/developer, delete those too, empty Trash, and restart.

This seemed to solve the issue for me (my stray .plists were in the LaunchDaemons folder) and there's no constant stream of notifications now.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 25, 2023 9:49 AM in response to Roland Thomas

Hey! I've also been experiencing this problem, and have tried a few things

• First, I updated to 13.2 last night, and the issue persisted.
  • After doing that, I found this thread. So I changed my "Show Previews" Notification setting to "Always" as suggested here. That helped me identify the apps that were causing the problem. For me, it's only two apps, but they both account for 3+ notifications on startup. Google Updater and Logitech Options were only problem apps for me.
  • So I removed all Logitech apps and Google apps (for me, Logitech Options, Logi Bolt and Google Chrome), restarted my computer and the notifications were gone!
  • I reinstalled Google Chrome, and restarted my computer, and the issue returned with multiple Google Updater notifications popping up at startup.
  • Next, I looked up instructions online to disable Google Updater from running at all. I won't share the instructions I found here, because I'm not certain that there aren't any negative side effects as of now, and I don't want to be sharing bad information. However, I am not seeing any notifications popup for Google Updater on startup. (I've restarted 2 or 3 times so far with the same result)

So that's where I'm at now. I have not tried reinstalling any Logitech software yet, and won't have time to until tonight or this weekend. I'll continue to monitor the situation with Google Updater and come back if anything changes.

If you're having this problem, I 100% recommend turning Show Previews to "Always" in the Notification Settings.

I have my own opinions on the matter, but can this be considered a bug on the Mac OS side, the (in my case) Google/Logitech side, or both? Maybe it would be worth it to collect a list of applications causing this problem and reach out to the developers? Either way, I hope this gets addressed, because removing every app causing this problem isn't a very viable solution for many people.

Jan 2, 2023 9:10 AM in response to Roland Thomas

Roland Thomas wrote:

Hi, running Ventura 13.1 on Mac Mini M1.

Nothing worked. And I found nothing helpful when searching online, so maybe someone can tell me how to turn these **** things off.

There is a plethora of reports concerning this new glitch introduced with Ventura ...

Try turning off all Notifications if necessary(?)

Change Notifications settings on Mac - Apple Support

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

You can hope for a point update to follow 13.1 for some resolve to this issue.

You can Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

I will add—looking at your screenshot: <CleanMyMac> is one of the worst for causing issues.

third party software

Look for any built in or in-app uninstaller and use that.

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates/uninstall:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Jan 30, 2023 10:07 AM in response to Roland Thomas

This will work for many apps, but applications such as VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) require a daemon/service that runs in the background and will not function properly without it.

My workaround is just enabling Do Not Disturb (System Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb) and ensuring that it's on all the time.

Until Apple fixes this... which I'm not holding my breath on.

-Dave

Jan 19, 2023 6:32 AM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

Roland Thomas wrote:

The worst part is that the messages are all generic: "Login Items Notification". Nothing to indicate *what* application is making that notification. If anyone knows of some way to turn on diagnostic logging that might capture that information, please let us know!

It is the operating system that is generating these notifications. I believe you can change this and make them more informative. Go to System Settings > Notifications and make sure "Show previews" is set to "Always". If this works, please follow up and let me know.

Thank you! This is very helpful. "Show Previews" was set 'Never' so this is what I would see.

Once I changed it to 'Always' as you suggested, I can now see exactly what apps are triggering this behavior.

It seems the same apps are responding this way over and over again. I know that I have already disabled background refresh for these apps so maybe they are refreshing in different ways that are not user tunable, but at least knowing this information is useful.

Jan 19, 2023 6:37 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

then deleted Microsoft Autoupdate and wala.
Which version of Office are you running? I have Autoupdate from Office 2019 (as updated as it can be), and Autoupdate doesn't cause notifications for me.

I'm running Office 365 not Office 2019, so I can leverage Microsoft OneDrive and the online versions of the Office apps. Although I'm thinking that as far as AutoUpdate is concerned, it really should make a difference to whatever is installed locally on my machine.

Jan 29, 2023 7:26 AM in response to Iskdu3

Hi, I am the original poster. In the end I did exactly the same thing. Once I set Show Previews to 'Always' in the Notifications pane, I was able to identify which apps were throwing the notifications. For me it was: Citrix, Steam, Logitech and DropBox but obviously it can be any app. Whether the fault is with Ventura or 3rd party apps that do not 'behave' properly with whatever changes are in the new OS, I don't know or care.

I then uninstalled the apps using the usual method of dragging the app to the trash can. However, even after a reboot, I still got the notifications.

So I had to use a 3rd party tool to completely scrub everything: https://nektony.com/mac-app-cleaner

I haven't decided yet if I am going to reinstall any of the apps right now. So it's all good for now but I'll post if anything changes. Thanks for reading.

Jan 2, 2023 3:17 PM in response to Roland Thomas

Thank you Leroy for your reply. I followed your advice to uninstall CleanMyMac X but that did not resolve the issue. Also all notifications were also turned off. I also had the idea that if notifications were all disabled yet I was still getting them, maybe they were being sent from my other Apple devices? So I turned off notifications on my watch and phone as well (Apple Watch SE and iPhone 12 mini running latest iOS if that is important for anyone to know).

I found this AppleScript that can automate cleaning up the Login Items notifications:

https://github.com/Ptujec/LaunchBar/blob/master/Notifications/Dismiss%20all%20notifications.lbaction/Contents/Scripts/default.applescript

You will need to save with the ".applescript" extension and run in the Script Editor app

Roland

Jan 15, 2023 4:14 AM in response to tom_bali

It has nothing to do with normal notifications. You cannot turn them off.

You have poorly made third-party software installed that continuously tries to run some background process. It should only ask once, and it should not attempt to install the mechanism it uses to run in the background every time it tries to run.

Disabling the process in System Settings will not resolve the problem as the app you installed that runs things in the background will continue to try to run in the background, triggering the notification.

The only way to stop the notifications is to uninstall the app you installed using the developer’s uninstall tool. That may prove difficult to find because the items don’t show the name of the app. In some cases it is the name of the person who created the signing certificate of the app. In other cases, the app just Ron’s one of the Utility programs on the Mac, like open or osascript.

Jan 17, 2023 6:09 PM in response to Roland Thomas

Roland Thomas wrote:

It is the operating system that is generating these notifications. I believe you can change this and make them more informative. Go to System Settings > Notifications and make sure "Show previews" is set to "Always". If this works, please follow up and let me know.

I have deleted unnecessary login items, disabled all apps running in the background

Alas, then you may actually be causing it. Unfortunately, this new user interface in Ventura was an exceptionally bad idea on Apple's part. I can't even explain it to people because I immediately have to jump deep into obscure APIs that distinguish between the different kinds of login items. But suffice to say that users should not change anything in that new Ventura Login Items user interface.

If you already have made changes, then I'm afraid that this is one of those problems that has no easy solution. The quickest, easiest solution will be to erase your hard drive and reinstall the operating system. You'll need a backup of course, but you can't take the easy route. You can only restore your user accounts and user files. You must NOT restore any apps, system files, or "other files". Then, you can manually reinstall only the apps you really need. Do them one at a time, restarting at least twice in between each. You should get one or more notifications the first time you install an app that has background tasks. But you should not get any more notifications after restarting twice. If you do, then you'll need to uninstall that most recently installed app.

And if all this seems like a lot of work, remember that I've given up trying to explain the more difficult, but less invasive ways. I'm out of ideas.

How to Turn Off Login Items Notifications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.