Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Problems with AirPods Pro 2 and iPhone XS Max

i have a problem with iphone xsmax and apple airpods pro 2 when i accept an incoming call airpods keeps disconnecting and connecting for 20 seconds and then switches the voice automatically to the phone then it comes back to the airpods and works normally and it happens literally every single call but outgoing calls works normally the problem only in incoming calls and only when i accept it while wearing the airpods and i’ve tried the airpods on 13 pro max and 11 pro max it works normally and tried airpods pro 1st generation on xsmax and it worked normally also so the problem is between xsmax and airpods pro second generation help me fix it

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2024 4:52 AM

Its been 1.5 years since this airpods pro 2 released.. still apple cannot fix it.. what kind of problem is this actually????

Similar questions

177 replies

Dec 18, 2023 9:37 AM in response to hussien84

So many people have the same issue and Apple does nothing about it. I have an iPhone Xs Max ios 17.2, and brand new airpods pro 2 USB-C latest firmware for the airpods and the case. Today, I had a phone call with Apple Support for 50 min. No result.

I strongly believe it is an issue of the device (iPhone Xs models).

My only hope is that I am going to buy an newer iPhone soon and this issue will be solved.

One the other hand, I want this issue issue to be heard and fixed, if possible.

Jan 20, 2023 11:10 AM in response to hussien84

This same issue applies between iPhone XS and AirPods Pro 2. I went into the Apple Store and after 3 hours of troubleshooting with the Genius Bar we ruled out any software or hardware issue with either device. Performing a factory reset doesn’t solve the issue. The AirPods Pro 2 work with other phones and the iPhone XS works with first generation AirPods Pro. There just seems to be a compatibility issue here that Apple hasn’t admitted to and for that reason they won’t refund the purchase or allow for an exchange of the AirPods to the older generation. So be wary before buying this generation of AirPods Pro if you have an iPhone XS.

Apr 26, 2024 3:01 PM in response to IvanLapitski

After multiple call sessions with AppleCare agents, and verifying firmware, IOS updates, unpairing, re-pairing, rebooting, changing setting options, shutting off bluetooth on all my other apple devices within 50 feet of me, and irritating my friends by texting them to “call me, please,” to test after each of those changes… THIS is the only thing that has allowed me to accept a call on the AirPods pro 2 with my iPhone XS.

My biggest problem with this has more to do with the fact that none of the agents ever admitted that it is a known problem and that they don’t have a solution for it. They offered to send another pair, but I patiently explained that this has been an issue right out of the box… I can’t imagine it is a hardware problem. And sure enough, everyone’s posts here prove it.

All they needed to do was list these as “not compatible with iPhone XS” and I would have skipped the purchase and the headache. I can understand holding out on that warning for a few months while they worked to fix the issue via firmware updates. But more than a year after production/release and no fix? They should dignify customers with an honest answer when we call for service and warn new customers that they won’t work with an iPhone XS. Maybe I should have done more research before making this purchase, but like many Apple users, I had come to trust the products and service that came with that logo. Big mistake 😣

Aug 11, 2023 4:23 AM in response to hilastuart

Dear all, this is a hardware/software issue (in iOS, AirPods firmware) between iPhone <> AirPods, and it's not related to any installed applications.

Suggestions like:

• please wipe your phone and try again
  • please wipe your phone and restore data from backup

come from individuals who have no understanding of how Bluetooth works, and in no way do they contribute to solving the problem.

No app installed on your phone should cause connection issues with your AirPods.

The only correct actions to take are:

• potentially restart your phone
  • disconnect the AirPods
  • re-pair the AirPods

Nothing more. Everything else is a waste of your time.

Jan 2, 2023 2:14 PM in response to hussien84

There are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue with your AirPods Pro 2 disconnecting and connecting during incoming calls on your iPhone XS Max:

1. Make sure that your AirPods are fully charged and that the charging case has enough power.
  2. Restart your iPhone XS Max and try connecting your AirPods again.
  3. Reset your AirPods by following these steps:
  • Go to the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone XS Max.
  • Tap the "i" icon next to your AirPods.
  • Tap "Forget this Device."
  • Hold the setup button on the back of the AirPods charging case for at least 15 seconds, until the status light starts flashing white.
  • Go back to the Bluetooth settings and try connecting your AirPods again.
  1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS installed on your iPhone XS Max. You can check for updates by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
  2. If the issue persists, try using your AirPods with a different device to see if the problem is specific to your iPhone XS Max.

If none of these solutions work, it may be necessary to contact Apple Support for further assistance. They may be able to help you troubleshoot the issue and determine the cause of the problem.

Mar 29, 2023 2:03 AM in response to hussien84

Hi All, same here: XS Max, the update to just released 16.4 did not help, Airpods pro 2 on 5B58 (current).

Got in contact with Apple support via phone today and received confirmation that Apple techs are aware of this issue and following up on resolution. I was advised to check the firmware updates (either iOS or airpods), no timelines or any other details voiced. Anyway, sounds not so hopeless.

For now, as a temporary solution for myself I will answer the incoming calls on the phone (airpods in case) and then take them on, this way there is no significant delay.

posted this also in another similar thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254372387?answerId=258235250022&page=1

Problems with AirPods Pro 2 and iPhone XS Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.