iPhone SE (2020) right side of screen not responding to touch

The right side of my screen (around 1cm wide) suddenly stopped responding to touch. The phone has never been dropped or exposed to moisture. Forced restarting and even a full restore didn't fix the issue. See the attached screenshot where I tried to fill in a note. For now I'm using left handed assist on the keyboard so I can use all the keys...

I found a thread where people had the same issue with the iPhone XS here.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution? I'm hoping I don't need to replace the screen.

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 4:53 PM

Okay guys.

i fixed mine!!!!!! I sucked in air from the ear piece speakers. Sucked in really really hard. I know it sounds ridiculous. But my rightside and letter P is back!!! I really hope that this can help you guys too

53 replies

Jan 20, 2023 5:07 PM in response to mr_yeo

Same here nothing works I have the exact!!!! Same issue!!!! I use one handed left side text. Updated my phone BOOM it happened I mean instantly! This was about 4 updates ago. O my….. goodness…. I can’t stand a single comment of restart my phone??? Or clean my screen??? Really how is that a response in 2023? Of course thats what we all do? Not only that here is the kicker when I go to delete the update IT WONT LET ME. So frustrated. New 1,000$ phone with 128 gig. And they think I’m gunna give more money to fix it? Nope. 🤦‍♂️😪 they need an update for this issue for the iPhone SE.

Feb 27, 2023 7:00 AM in response to mr_yeo

I'm having the exact same issue, also on the right side. The phone hasn't been dropped or exposed to water. There are many people who have had this exact same issue in exactly the same spot on the phones.

The problem seems more pronounced when using the keyboard (impossible to type "p") or the notes app, but doesn't seem to impede my opening apps on the home screen (but that may be due to varying sensitivity based on the context; I don't have the requisite knowledge base to know).

I have restarted, changed the screen zoom... I don't see anywhere on message boards that someone has fixed this problem other than by replacement.

Jul 25, 2023 1:56 AM in response to mr_yeo

my 2 years old iPhone SE 2 is having very similar isues as others have described here. A few days ago the screen started to become unresponsive at random moments. Sometimes the issue is limited to a 1cm wide zone at the very right of the screen, other times the entire screen is unresponsive. This seems to occur most often while scrolling through webpages in Safari or Chrome, but it also occurs sometimes when other apps are opened (youtube, notes app...), or even on the home screen with no apps opened at all. It seems very erratic and I am not even sure wether it's a software issue at this point...

Mar 9, 2023 2:15 PM in response to mr_yeo

okay, so the dead zone is back but I think it’s a bit smaller, and I think I’m catching on to what’s going on.

both times, the issue began after the phone screen locked up while manipulating Safari tabs, especially when there’s lot of them open. The phone lags and becomes briefly unresponsive such that you have to force safari to quit. After that, most of the screen works again, but the last centimeter or so on the right side of the phone doesn’t come back (though interestingly, the very very edge of the phone still will do swipe stuff that is triggered by the very edge).

I’m going to keep posting in case it’s helpful for others. But if you’re having this issue, you’re not crazy. It IS a software issue.

Aug 5, 2023 5:44 AM in response to guy_with_broken_iPhone_SE2

My iPhone SE2 is facing the exact same problem you described. This started after I upgraded it to iOS 16.6. I think it's a software issue because most of the time the screen works perfectly fine, but sometimes the right side stops working and sometimes the whole screen freezes; but even then, the phone's physical buttons are responsive.

Nov 23, 2023 3:50 AM in response to djxjscb

Call the keyboards are not working anymore both side even the number I can’t change my keyboard to figures numbers I can’t change it both our only I’m vertically so it’s it’s really crazy it’s really crazy Apple is really abandoned iPhone SE to do something very fast. I’m changing to Samsung very soon cause after I updated my iPhone SE to the latest iPhone software it has been getting very hot. The phone has been over eating in so many cases screen is too expensive to repair

Dec 30, 2023 10:13 PM in response to mr_yeo

same here too.. I also using left hand keyboard.. but 2 weeks before this issue was fixed.. but today again right side is not working and I can’t send text messages also.. I thought this issue because of update.. therefore I updated my phone. This one is now ios17.2.1 can you please tell me what is the reason of this matter.. I want to fix it soon.. please

Jul 6, 2023 11:03 AM in response to mr_yeo

I share the same experience, also on the right side of the screen. It is not traceable to any physical stress. For some days, the problem was only occasional, accompanied by locking screens and lag during touch inputs. During that period, I could restore the screen by deleting the Safari history and restarting the phone. This implies a correlation with the Safari app of some kind, as suggested by the member iphone_se_enthusiast. Now, the problem is permanent. I tried all restart, reset, and restore options, without luck.

Scroll-inputs in the dead zone work fine. Furthermore, I did run remote diagnostics with the Apple support. The Apple support staff on the phone suggested, that it appears to be a software issue. Hopefully fixable with an update?

iPhone SE (2020) right side of screen not responding to touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.