Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS screen right side not responding for touching

Hi! Ever since I upgraded to 13.6.1 my screen’s right side faults to respond touching . It’s very strange because it doesn’t work all across the edge straight from the bottom to the top (see the screenshot, I tried to fill a note with a pencil). I actually have to flip my phone and type horizontally because the buttons on the right aren’t reachable. 

Yesterday I tried switching the screen to larger mode in the settings and then switched back to standard and it helped for a while. But then it failed again and remains unresponsive until now. Any ideas what it could be caused by and what should I do now? I didn’t go for repairs service yet cause it doesn’t look like a hardware issue. Thanks!

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2021 9:53 AM

Hey!!

I have an iPhone x with the same problem.

i would like to share some information I have gathered till now and according to my knowledge

1. It's definitely a software issue!
  2. the occurrences of this problem also depends on the temperatures maybe cold or hot.

Temporary hack for me:

1. For me It can be solved by turning on or off the dark mode just selecting the opposite theme make things better for me
  2. Making phone hot or cold by running apps or freezing it in the freezer.
  3. keeping the phone aside and letting the phone heal itself.
  4. When trying the unresponsive keyboard letter for example letter P a lot of times, as soon as p clicks continue with other letter as normal typing rather than testing the p again and again.

Also please upvote this so that our other fellows can also know about this hack and skip the display changing costs!!!

i'm also attaching some screen shots of before and after which is denoted by black and green

Last But Not The Least

Apple's a bitch!!! the quality they serve now is pathetic! Cannot be worse than this, I got an iPhone x but the the program for my model has long been expired as it says 3 years from first retail!

It isn't my fault then why should i pay for it! Even why should I suffer for it! My whole family uses apple and among them why I'm the only unlucky person!

It was lot better until SOMEONE came and replaced Steve!

166 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2021 9:53 AM in response to renatolla

Hey!!

I have an iPhone x with the same problem.

i would like to share some information I have gathered till now and according to my knowledge

1. It's definitely a software issue!
  2. the occurrences of this problem also depends on the temperatures maybe cold or hot.

Temporary hack for me:

1. For me It can be solved by turning on or off the dark mode just selecting the opposite theme make things better for me
  2. Making phone hot or cold by running apps or freezing it in the freezer.
  3. keeping the phone aside and letting the phone heal itself.
  4. When trying the unresponsive keyboard letter for example letter P a lot of times, as soon as p clicks continue with other letter as normal typing rather than testing the p again and again.

Also please upvote this so that our other fellows can also know about this hack and skip the display changing costs!!!

i'm also attaching some screen shots of before and after which is denoted by black and green

Last But Not The Least

Apple's a bitch!!! the quality they serve now is pathetic! Cannot be worse than this, I got an iPhone x but the the program for my model has long been expired as it says 3 years from first retail!

It isn't my fault then why should i pay for it! Even why should I suffer for it! My whole family uses apple and among them why I'm the only unlucky person!

It was lot better until SOMEONE came and replaced Steve!

Sep 30, 2021 8:50 PM in response to renatolla

This seems to have resolved my issue - at least temporarily.

iPhone XS was not responding to touch for about 1” along the left edge of the screen.

I noticed when the Lock Screen is displayed, the flashlight button worked even though it was located in the non-responsive area.

I hard pressed and held the flashlight icon (feeling the haptic/3D touch sensation) while swiping up to unlock my phone.

My touch issue was immediately gone - although it might just be coincidence.

Perhaps doing the same thing with the camera icon on the Lock Screen may resolve a touch issue along the right side of the screen.

Good luck and best wishes.

Oct 16, 2020 10:18 AM in response to Dineshjiee

Had the same issue after the ios 14 update. Cant type P or 0 or basically anything along the right side of the screen on my XS. Apple store said to restore the phone as new and not from a backup. Ill wait for the next update before I mess with that. They also suggested replacing the screen... no thanks since it was perfectly fine before the update.

Aug 22, 2020 10:39 AM in response to renatolla

Hello renatolla,

We understand that the right side of your iPhone is not responding to touch. You’re in the right place, we’d be glad to assist in seeking a solution.

You have taken some great troubleshooting steps so far, but make sure to follow all of the steps here: If the screen isn’t working on your iPhone or iPad

If those do not help, it may be a hardware issue.

Have a great day.

Jan 5, 2021 9:46 AM in response to zita162

I could not fix it. I am not in the US so I took my phone to an Apple representative (since Apple is not in my country) and they run multiple tests. The screen touch is not working properly and they informed this to Apple. Since my phone is not under warranty (although it is in mint condition as stated by the Apple representative), Apple has rejected to authorize this repair which is completely unfair and super disappointing for a brand like Apple. This problem has been caused due to them and they expect us to pay for the repair --which is super expensive! They do have an Apple Service Program for this new reason for iPhone 11 which was launched on December 4, 2020 [https://support.apple.com/en-in/iphone-11-display-module-replacement-program] but they told me that they have not identified a problem for iPhone XS which is unbelievable since so many of us are reporting the exact same problem. Shame on Apple. I work with my phone and cannot afford right now such expenditure which is a result of a problem they caused.

Feb 19, 2021 2:44 AM in response to renatolla

I have discovered something interesting. Cooling the phone might resolve the issue temporarily.

Today i got my phone back from a service that claimed it needed a new screen. When it arrived it was very cold.

I turned it on to see if the issue is still present and it was, but after a couple of minutes, when the phone started getting warmer, the affected side started working again. Sadly after a couple of minutes it stopped working.

BUT I was able to reproduce this effect by putting it in the fridge for a couple of minutes. When i took it out i kept drawing on the notes app and to my surprise it started working again.

P.S. Be careful how long you leave your phone in the fridge for. I am not responsible if you break your phone lol.

Aug 18, 2021 8:06 PM in response to renatolla

Same problem just happened to my iPhone XS 45 minutes ago, came on my laptop and started googling and found this thread. Bc of travel plans, cannot address the issue until the weekend but from reading responses seems as if Apple is ignoring the problem anyways. Admittedly, I didn't read all 11 pages on here, but some info about my situation: I was in the middle of playing a game on my phone when it the entire screen became unresponsive. I closed the app and suddenly my phone had a mind of its own. It was opening and closing apps, and I was swiping like crazy to try and get to settings. Once I opened settings the phone was going in and changing up things so fast I still have no idea what was changed. Thought I was hacked, powered down phone. Waited some time, powered on, and now right side will not work. Did the ghost touching happen to anyone else? Also, I am not savvy with technology at all, but is there anything in the Assistive Category in settings that might help temporarily patch the problem? Saw this on another site but was for older software.

Mar 2, 2021 2:45 PM in response to renatolla

Same here! iPhone XS right side of the screen suddenly stopped working, and it’s so frustrating because I see how many we are with the same problem. It seems like it happened to us almost at the same time. In my opinion it’s an issue Apple should deal with, not us!

I found a replacement program here:

https://support.apple.com/iphone-x-display-module-replacement-program

It’s exactly the same problem on iPhone X models, and Apple covers the costs. When is it our turn?! Apple needs to do something with this issue ASAP..

iPhone XS screen right side not responding for touching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.