Related Article: About the security content of macOS Big Sur 11.7.3

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.7.3 Safari favourites web page “icons” got grey out.

Right after updating to Big Sur 11.7.3 all favourites web page “icons” got grey out. I have tried various remedies removing icons from safari cache, etc. nothing. Anyone has the same issue? thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 12:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 2:04 PM

There are several threads reporting this problem:

1. After safari update, home screen bookmark icons turned grey or empty
  2. website icons in safari 16.3
  3. Favicons gone in Safari

62 replies

Jan 25, 2023 2:12 PM in response to stef292

No the mouse pointer works just fine, just the safari home screen bookmark icons turned grey or empty. If you clear your safari “History” saw some icons coming back but other disappear .. I think it is a bug linked to latest BigSur 11.7.3 Update. I will check links provided by Fred II and in case open case with Apple support.

Feb 1, 2023 9:33 AM in response to _weasel

Thanks, an update for all you dears: having time today I made a full re-install from the recovery boot tool, wiping the disk. Same problem, so here we have a code bug that persist even in a fresh install!

Where is the emoticon palm face when I need? ;-)

p.s. I'm the only one with also the pointer arrow that disappear at Safari window edges (when it should allows resizing)?

Feb 7, 2023 7:14 PM in response to Ale76

As a fellow sufferer of the 'favicon gray-out', I wonder if my problem has anything to do with my intel-based iMac? Big Sur is the last operating system my machine will run; it's already more than 8 years old. If the bug is restricted to folks like me, are there enough of us who need the bug-fix to make it worth Apple's while? Also, is the bug in the system or in Safari? I updated both at the same time, so I don't know.

Feb 7, 2023 10:34 PM in response to redpoppies

I don't think it has to do with your iMac. I use a MacBook Air 2020 that came pre-loaded with Big Sur. I also remember the update was included with a Safari update, so hard to tell. Guessing it's Big Sur.

Different subject, but worth the ask: Does anyone know why my storage usage has 116 GB listed as "other"? What is the "other"? Running out of storage already after two years. Hence my hesitation to install any newer version.

Feb 8, 2023 7:06 PM in response to Ale76

Yes... I have the same issue of loosing my icons in Big Sur Safari after updating to 11.7.3! I've tried everything I know to get them back too, but nothing seems to work. This is very disturbing because I have bunches of icons grouped together and now I cant find what I'm looking for without opening every group to see if its there or in the next group.

Feb 12, 2023 2:00 AM in response to Ale76

downgrading safari will not fix the issue guys, you need to downgrade your whole OS

essentially find the previous build of the OS (in my case 11.7.2) on the internet & make a bootable USB install & downgrade from there...

when you think about it, this by design apple purposely slows down older machines & phase out features eventually releasing buggy software all to frustrate everyone & their responses to all support queries is: "we no longer support legacy systems"

all to push everyone into buying new hardware..

well APPLE not all of us have $$$ to do so, some of us are lucky to even own a Mac even if its 2nd hand.

& in this changing economy with inflation on the rise more & more people are getting poorer by the day..

I wonder what the next update will include which part of the system they will break next..

Feb 12, 2023 11:58 AM in response to Ale76

Just got off the phone with tech support, no joy. A couple of the app icons went back to normal, and some got color as the background but that's it. The guy I talked to had not heard of the issue but had me try the same things done here......and yes the results were the same. Until Apple gets the engineers to fix this it might be as suggested----their way for us to get new computers. I hope not, so for now I'll just live with the greyed out.

Big Sur 11.7.3 Safari favourites web page “icons” got grey out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.