Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 MBP crashes with kernel panics when in sleep mode

My touch bar has become glitchy, randomly flashing while the computer is in sleep mode. That's been going on for many months. Recently, though, this 13", 2019 model with 16GB of RAM and more than 200GB of free hard drive space has started crashing and restarting while asleep. In my home office, it is attached to a 30" Samsung monitor and an external Magic Mouse/keyboard, but the problem has gotten progressively worse, and the laptop now restarts while simply sitting in my backpack and asleep. Most recent crash info attached

:

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 5:12 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

Feb 10, 2023 10:19 AM in response to dbinvt

FYI, @Grant was wanting the full EtreCheck report in order to look for possible issues with third party software in addition to the summary of the system logs.

If the issue is not due to third party software or an external device, then your only options are to perform an SMC Reset (read the instructions carefully as they have changed over the years), or the more drastic option to "Restore" the firmware of the laptop which also pushes a clean version of macOS to the internal SSD (all data on the internal SSD is destroyed, so make sure to have a good backup first). If these things do not help, then you will need to have the laptop repaired.

FYI, the 2019 models seems to have these issues more than any other model and those users who actually follow up on their threads have reported needing to have their Logic Boards replaced.

Feb 10, 2023 7:23 AM in response to dbinvt

ACPI: Advanced Configuration and Power Interface is an open standard that operating systems can use to discover and configure computer hardware components, to perform power management, auto configuration, and status monitoring.

--from Wikipedia

the biggest problem for Intel Macs is due to Power Nap features. The computer dark-wakes to do busywork when nominally asleep and gets into trouble.

the best work-around is just to disable the feature.

Feb 10, 2023 8:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

No. The crash data uploaded was from a crash that happened while simply carrying the laptop (asleep) to a meeting. Similar crashes often happen while the laptop is connected to an external monitor via USB-C to HDMI adapter, and a Bluetooth Apple mouse and keyboard, but never external storage. The USB-C adapter is a multi-port hub. I use two different hubs (and two different monitors) at home vs. work (diff make and model for both) and it's worth noting I've not experienced a crash *while actively using* this MacBook Pro. Crashes always happen while it's asleep; this is also when the touch bar is most glitchy.

Feb 10, 2023 11:00 AM in response to dbinvt

the full report would be helpful.

The smoking gun in what you posted is the many, many many crashes citing dfrd -- Dynamic Function Row daemon, the software that runs the shortcuts Bar aka Touch Bar.

You should contact Apple support, cite this discussion so they can get your Etrecheck digest of recent crashes, and make suggestions about how to proceed.

I do NOT recommend you go directly to the Genius Bar without a directive from Apple support, because the Genius Bar level of expertise focuses on diagnostics failures, and yours may not be failing the diagnostics (but if you run the diagnostics and it fails, they will replace the modules.)

Official Apple Support

¿what is the date of your most recent backup, and by what method?

if you mainboard is replaced, your DRIVE and its files will NOT be returned to you.

Feb 10, 2023 2:54 PM in response to dbinvt

you have Apple security update turned off. That is not recommended.

You have Malwarebytes scanning at all times. We love malwareBytes for it good ability to identify installed malware. Its constant scanner gets no love from here, it's just not AS BAD a resource-waster as the rest of them.

If you have installed software that wastes computer resources on a regular basis, such as third-party Virus Scanners, speeder-uppers, Cleaner-uppers/Removers, Optimizers, third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, BackBlaze, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive, or a VPN that you installed yourself, it will do busywork at previously-impossible speeds, and causing seemingly-random panics, typically for access violations or page faults.

No time machine. Got other disk-based backups? when was your last one?

Feb 11, 2023 8:03 PM in response to dbinvt

FYI, It appears you have the full Fortinet client software package installed for your VPN. The full package includes an anti-virus scanner and other items. At the time of the EtreCheck scan, some of the Fortinet VPN client components were not running such as "avkern2.kext" Kernel Extension which my guess is the AV component which is likely only active when a VPN connection is used.

Fortinet does provide just the bare bones VPN software without all the extras, called "Fortinet VPN Client Only", unless of course your school or employer requires the AV component.

https://www.fortinet.com/support/product-downloads

Seems like your Kernel Panics most likely are caused by a hardware issue of some sort. If you get Kernel Panics when all external devices are disconnected, then you will need to have the laptop repaired.

Feb 13, 2023 6:55 AM in response to dbinvt

while I agree that it could be a hardware issue, the technicians at the Genius Bar are trained to repair your Mac if and only if it fails diagnostics. They generally are not trained to take action based on panic reports.

You should run the User diagnostic.

If you need to submit your Mac for service, the agreement says that you have ALREADY made all the backups you want. If the mainboard is replaced, you will get a new replacement drive with NONE of your files on it.

Mar 8, 2023 4:26 AM in response to dbinvt

For what this is worth: Apple set up an appointment at the local authorized repair center. Those folks wouldn't even look at the machine until I paid a $65 out-of-warranty service charge. They quickly saw and could replicate both the flashing touch bar and the kernel panics, but like my own investigation could not find any hardware issues through diagnostic tools. They reseated the touch bar cable and the problem went away. Things remained stable for about 26 hours, and now we're back to square one. To me, this indicates it *is* a hardware issue with the touch bar itself and I'm going to replace it on my own. At a minimum, I'm remapping the caps lock key to be an "esc" key since right now the only way to access this key is via the touch bar, then I might just disconnect the touch bar and be done with it.

Mar 8, 2023 4:43 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The service provider made it clear this would be an out-of-warranty repair and comes with a hefty price tag. Since I know my way around the inside of a laptop, *if* I replace the touch bar it's something I will take care of for myself. I'm curious about simply disconnecting it, though - wondering if there will be any conflicts or panics because the OS is looking for this interface.

Mar 8, 2023 10:50 AM in response to dbinvt

dbinvt wrote:

The service provider made it clear this would be an out-of-warranty repair and comes with a hefty price tag. Since I know my way around the inside of a laptop, *if* I replace the touch bar it's something I will take care of for myself.

Remember there are two sides here...the Touchbar and the Logic Board...which one actually has the problem?

Plus there are two cables for the Touchbar...one for the Touchbar display and the other for data/programming.

I'm curious about simply disconnecting it, though - wondering if there will be any conflicts or panics because the OS is looking for this interface.

I know if the Touchbar is not working correctly that macOS will not be able to communicate with the Touchbar and will insist on installing "A Criticial software update" as macOS refuses to boot normally without the Touchbar (macOS needs to upload the BridgeOS to the Touchbar....I think it is called BridgeOS anyway). It will boot into Safe Mode without a working Touchbar. Of course the only time I've encountered this issue is when their was liquid damage to the Touchbar/Logic Board connector near the back corner.

It doesn't hurt to try disconnecting it to see if the Panics stop (assuming you don't damage something), but make sure to insulate the cable connector so it does not short out & damage the Logic Board. The cables & connectors on these 2016+ Macs are extremely fragile and easily damaged (especially the battery flex cable & battery connector on the Logic Board...there are two steps for disconnecting the battery..a cable & a BMU screw).

Actually replacing the Touchbar is difficult and requires removing the Logic Board as well. The Touchbar is held in place with strong adhesive.

You do need to be aware that many times Apple may refuse to later repair a Mac if they discover any third party parts are installed (or unauthorized repairs were performed). Just keep this in mind in case you need to get service later for something you are unable to repair yourself. With 2018+ models, Apple does pair a lot of the internal components to the Logic Board & T2 security chip so without this pairing macOS may consider itself in a lowered security state where some macOS features may be unavailable. I doubt the Touchbar is paired, but cannot be sure.

Mar 8, 2023 1:37 PM in response to dbinvt

My MBP 2019 has this same issue. Spent quite some time with apple support trying to diagnose issue. Last advice was to leave the Mac running with activity monitor open so they could take a more in-depth look if/when it next happens.

Not sure how relevant this is but have had Mac plugged into power for last couple of days under the sofa. Went to wake it from sleep tonight (after not using for 2 days) and no problems at all waking up without crash.

(Update, just realised that although the MBP has not crashed from sleep, the Touch Bar is now dead). Maybe that is the ultimate cause of my problems to.

2019 MBP crashes with kernel panics when in sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.