Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay not working iOS 16.3.1

CarPlay doesn't work on iOS 16.3.1

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 12:09 PM

Carplay has been working OK for more than two years but after installing ios 16.3.1 my iPhone 11 is not recognised when connecting with USB cable. I have tried several cables without success. Bluetooth works OK for phone.

56 replies

Feb 17, 2023 6:53 AM in response to davashman

update: After I completely resetting Honda infotainment to factory settings, I paired carplay. Carplay works again. In my opinion, the 16.3.1 update somehow corrupts the stored information about the communication of paired devices. That's why it's not enough to just keep trying to pair carplay. It is necessary to return the infotainment in the car to the factory settings and then pair Carplay with the mobile phone again.

Feb 17, 2023 10:59 AM in response to emaryb

Hi. You could revert to ios 16.3 but it's a little complicated and there's no guarantee it will work. I can only suggest as I've said before, reset iphone network settings and try different cables. Unpair phone from car and repair. Also, turn phone off for a bit. You also need to make sure Siri is on for Carplay. Bluetooth should work so you will have hands free for phone calls. Podcasts and Apple Music also worked on Bluetooth. You just won't have the Carplay experience and Navigation. At least that was my experience until I fixed it.

Mar 7, 2023 7:36 AM in response to davashman

Can we get an update, Apple?!?! Multiple network issues with 16.3.1, none more frustrating than this CarPlay issue. It’s random folks. Give it a few hours and it’s liable to work again. Resetting network is no help. Deleting and repairing also is of no help. It is random network bug in the iOS software. Would be nice if we could get an fix update and not have to wait for 16.4 to fix it!

Mar 7, 2023 10:14 PM in response to davashman

Same problem with 2023 XC60 and iPhones (2 different phones both on latest iOS 16.3.1)

network settings reset didn’t change anything

resetting the Google infotainment system worked.

for those with same car model, press the black button below the green for 15 seconds and stop when you see Volvo logo on the screen

Mar 10, 2023 1:50 PM in response to davashman

on Hyundai Kona wireless CarPlay, using my iPhone 14 pro max iOS 16.3.1 all works no issues

my wife iPhone 12 Pro Max same iOS 16.3.1 can't connect to CarPlay , bluetooth connected , no car play

I get generic error message, can't connect to car play

siri is on, tried full reset and even delete the iPhone , restore, nothing works

Mar 10, 2023 4:03 PM in response to Yanivhl

I also have the same problem. My iPhone 12 connects wirelessly to CarPlay in our 23 Tahoe. My wife’s iPhone 12 Pro will no longer connect wirelessly after she updated to 16.3.1. Her phone will connect to CarPlay through a wired connection.

The only difference was that I updated to 16.3.1 right away and she updated weeks after the update was available. We have compared settings between our phones and everything is the same. Definitely a black box issue.

Mar 11, 2023 2:08 PM in response to davashman

My Iphone 12 with recent iOs 16.3.1 update will connect to my Ford Fusion Sync3 via bluetooth, but NOT through USB cable. This is disappointing because I use Carplay to navigate. Carplay does not recognize my car when plugged in through USB (Apparently, my car is not equipped with wireless Carplay).

I updated Sync3 to the latest software. I ruled out the USB cable by plugging in my daughter's phone with an older version of iOS. It worked perfectly with her phone. I tried unpairing, resetting everything in phone and car, etc. etc. turning off Screentime restrictions etc. etc.

I spent time on the phone with an Apple tech. After looking at everything she concluded there is a compatibility problem on Ford's end. Frustrating.

Mar 14, 2023 2:14 PM in response to davashman

iPhone 12 Pro Max here, and had the same problem with my head unit crashing every minute or so when connected to CarPlay (head unit is a Pioneer DMH-1500NEX and perfectly stable when the iPhone is not plugged in).

The suggestion that seems to have solved the problem for me was going to Settings > General > CarPlay and removing all connections and forgetting all vehicles. Then plugged back into the head unit and Allowed the CarPlay permissions, and things have been stable since.

I noticed it reset my wallpaper choice and therefore probably went back to default settings, so it must have been something tweaked out in the settings of the previous connection. I’m optimistic about this now after having very not fun drives because I couldn’t listen to my music or podcasts or use GPS!

CarPlay not working iOS 16.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.