iPhone Hotspot keeps disconnecting

iPhone's made hotspot only works steady with Apple computer. As soon as you use it with any other computer, it keeps randomly disconnecting over and over again. No matter if you keep your screen on or off, phone is in low power mode or not, if you have the latest iPhone or not, etc. It is impossible to do any quality work on your laptop using iPhone's hotspot. It has nothing to do with software updates or anything like that as I am always running the latest version of iOS. I have read on the internet so many threads about this. It is something that Apple just refuses to fix for years. Or does that on purpose.. Whatever the case is - it is absolutely not nice, as it resembles the quality of Apple's products and service. So frustrated and disappointed.....

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 6:41 AM

Someone mentioned in their replies on here, that this could help:

Settings - Personal Hotspot - Maximise Compatibility.

I was excited, as I thought that just maybe Apple has noticed this issue and provided a solution.

Noot!

This feature has shown up recently as it has never been there before. I have turned it on. Still the same problem persists. Not sure what this feature does in that case. Also this feature can be found on my iPhone Xs Max, however, it is not there for my iPhone SE 2016. So this magic toggle button that does nothing is probably made only for iphones that run the newest soft.

So few of my observations to make the hotspot work a little longer than usual:

1) Restart your phone, before using it as a hotspot;

2) DONT use your phone. (if you receive a message, email, any notification, be strong - do not touch your iphone. As the hotspot will be lost in 9 times out of 10)

These are quite a meaningless suggestions. Meaning - it should Just Work without any "just dont breathe" adjustments. Plus - it does not mean that your hotspot will be steady, it just gives you more chance that it wont turn on 10x in 30mins, but maybe just 5x.

For all who wonder:

1) As hotspot is turned on, it is used instantly and non-stop, so it does not turn off just because there is no activity;

2) You can keep your iphone locked or unlocked - it does not matter. It will turn off anyways.

3) It still works perfect with any Apple computers, laptops.

Imgine running your online store and adding new stuff to your store. Imgine picking out and uploading 70 images to your multiple listings.. Imgine noticing, that while images seem to be loading, your internet has been disconnected. Imgine understanding that your images wont be uploaded when you reconnect, so you have to do it all over again. And imgine this happening several times a day.

If you have stumbled upon this threat and have a similar issue, please spare a minute and press the "me too" button, or even better - write your own comment. Even if it will still say "me too". Hopefully that will gain the required attention from Apple and this issue will be fixed with iPhone69 or something..

If Apple thinks that it is most important that the connection is steady within Apple ecosystem so that customers are forced to buy only Apple products.. I dont know about you, but Id rather sell all my Apple products and buy some universally working gadgets instead.

Similar questions

125 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2023 6:41 AM in response to Kristaps_6000

Someone mentioned in their replies on here, that this could help:

Settings - Personal Hotspot - Maximise Compatibility.

I was excited, as I thought that just maybe Apple has noticed this issue and provided a solution.

Noot!

This feature has shown up recently as it has never been there before. I have turned it on. Still the same problem persists. Not sure what this feature does in that case. Also this feature can be found on my iPhone Xs Max, however, it is not there for my iPhone SE 2016. So this magic toggle button that does nothing is probably made only for iphones that run the newest soft.

So few of my observations to make the hotspot work a little longer than usual:

1) Restart your phone, before using it as a hotspot;

2) DONT use your phone. (if you receive a message, email, any notification, be strong - do not touch your iphone. As the hotspot will be lost in 9 times out of 10)

These are quite a meaningless suggestions. Meaning - it should Just Work without any "just dont breathe" adjustments. Plus - it does not mean that your hotspot will be steady, it just gives you more chance that it wont turn on 10x in 30mins, but maybe just 5x.

For all who wonder:

1) As hotspot is turned on, it is used instantly and non-stop, so it does not turn off just because there is no activity;

2) You can keep your iphone locked or unlocked - it does not matter. It will turn off anyways.

3) It still works perfect with any Apple computers, laptops.

Imgine running your online store and adding new stuff to your store. Imgine picking out and uploading 70 images to your multiple listings.. Imgine noticing, that while images seem to be loading, your internet has been disconnected. Imgine understanding that your images wont be uploaded when you reconnect, so you have to do it all over again. And imgine this happening several times a day.

If you have stumbled upon this threat and have a similar issue, please spare a minute and press the "me too" button, or even better - write your own comment. Even if it will still say "me too". Hopefully that will gain the required attention from Apple and this issue will be fixed with iPhone69 or something..

If Apple thinks that it is most important that the connection is steady within Apple ecosystem so that customers are forced to buy only Apple products.. I dont know about you, but Id rather sell all my Apple products and buy some universally working gadgets instead.

Nov 30, 2023 1:49 PM in response to panos96

Totally agree. It's clear... As soon as I unlock my iPhone, go to my Settings and explicitly view the "Personal Hotspot" info, and "tickle" my iPhone every now and then to keep it awake, everything works as expected.

@Apple - I would at LEAST expect some kind of slider/setting that allows all my justifiably connected devices to STAY connected, until *I* say otherwise (not until Apple says otherwise).

I really think you're trespassing...

Apr 9, 2023 1:31 PM in response to SravanKrA

I have the same issue ever since I got the iPhone 14. Tried all the steps that literally all pages recommend : reset network settings, change iPhone name, change password, update iOS, reboot - everything.

It is like Kristaps mentions. Hotspot is being turned off on the iPhone itself. Has nothing to do with windows.

Any real help would be appreciated.

May 29, 2023 8:03 AM in response to Kristaps_6000

I can confirm that this issue has been going on for YEARS with iphones personal hotspot. Why can't it work as reliably as hotspot on android phone? If I turn on the hotspot feature on an Android phone it stays on and works for hours, perfectly, if I need it. In my experience, connecting a second apple product to the iPhone's hotspot works more reliably than connecting an Android device or a Windows PC, but it is still not flawless. I remember reading somewhere that apple designed the hotspot to turn off automatically if no data traffic is detected over the hotspot for a certain period of time. That is fine but there should be an option to disable this feature, because having to go fiddling with the wifi setting on my second client device and the personal hotspot on the host iphone, every time I want to share my cellular data is a huge pain. Let me leave the hotspot on and discoverable and let me worry about my battery. My guess for the reason apple has persistently refused to fix this issue is a mix of micromanaging "their iPhone" (you only pay for the device, you don't own it) and more apple ecosystem, walled-garden, BS.

Dec 10, 2023 6:15 PM in response to Kristaps_6000

(More than two years ago, the company I joined forced me to use an iPhone 11. The hotspot timing out has plagued me until today).

For those Windows 10 users (and maybe Windows 11), try enabling "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)"

I didn't pay attention to this although I did noticed that the iPhone SSID would become hidden about the same time my Windows 10 disconnected. If I were to jump to conclusions, I believe that the Apple Engineers came up with this "feature" to accomplish power saving and a modicum of Wi-Fi "security."

(I also suspect that the Apple computer Wi-Fi drivers have the "Connect to Hidden SSID" feature on by default.)

For more than eight years, there's been a lot of discussion about whether a hidden SSID is worth the annoyance. My conclusion is that hiding an SSID misses the point: Any environment so very concerned about Wi-Fi security should go back to copper connections.

If I was cynical, I'd just assume that Apple keeps a list of bugs/features that irritate Windows users (only) and fix them only if the European Union brings financial heat.

Sep 26, 2023 7:11 AM in response to Kristaps_6000

Hello, I'm sorry for my bad english, I'm from spain.

To keep on hotspot while you are working with your computer Windows or Linux do this:

Open a cmd (windows) or terminal (Linux)

Make a ipconfig command to know the gateway of your iphone (Puerta de enlace, in spanish). That's the local ip of your iphone.

in my computer it is like this:

c:\users|tirso\ipconfig

Adaptador de LAN inalámbrica Wi-Fi:

Sufijo DNS específico para la conexión. . :

Dirección IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : x.x.x.x ->not this

Máscara de subred . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.240

Puerta de enlace predeterminada . . . . . : xxx.xx.xx.xx -> THIS IS THE IP that you need (gateway)

In windows write ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xx -t

In linux just ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

minimize the cmd or terminal.

This will maintain constant communication with your iPhone and prevent it from disconnecting.

As it is a local communication (between iPhone and computer), it does not use megabytes of internet.

It works perfect for me.

Your welcome.

Tirso

Feb 23, 2023 8:14 AM in response to SravanKrA

All of this is done. Problem still persists.

I have been researching this issue for a while online before writing here.

If I connect my MacBook Air or iMac to my iPhones hotspot, then it is working fine without any issues, stable and steady.

As soon as the same iPhone is used as a hotspot for any Windows laptop (tried on few), hotspot on iPhone keeps turning it self off on its own. It does not disconnect form laptops side, it gets turned off by iPhone. Meaning - I need to turn on the Hotspot manually on iPhone again. And it is happening over and over again. There are a lot of people with the same issue on forums across internet. But thanks for the reply.

Oct 10, 2023 4:54 AM in response to Kristaps_6000

I have the absolute same experience. And it's not even related to Windows, Android, or iOS 17 (it also happened to me under iOS 16). iPhone 14 Pro Max just decides on its own to disconnect iPads, a second iPhone, and an AppleTV. Most of the time, the 2 green chains on the iPhone stay on, even though no data is transmitted anymore.

Usually this can be resolved by opening the Settings App on the iPhone, navigating to the personal hotspot settings which will make the hotspot immediately reappear on the list of available networks.

Sometimes the hotspot disconnects every 20 minutes or so (fun during an online meeting)... Often it takes longer. What I'm trying to say here is that it doesn't look like there's some background timer or some setting that - for whatever reason - shuts down the hotspot for - say - security reasons.

It's baffling, irritating, and - frankly - discredits Apple's slogan "It just works"... I also had an Android phone which had absolutely no issues maintaining a hotspot active for at least 24 hours.

Dec 14, 2023 5:25 AM in response to Network_Kick_Puppy

Looks like my previous response was censored/deleted, so I'll try again.

The company I work for asked me (okay, forced me) to use an iPhone more than two years ago. Right away, I also noticed that after about 15 minutes or so, the iPhone stopped broadcasting its SSID. I really didn't connect the dots until a few days ago. "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)" seemed like a logical next step. Well, it is working.

For more than 12 years, there's been a lot of discussion about whether hiding the SSID "helps" with Wi-Fi security. I think the Apple engineers probably thought so and got a two-for-one with potential power savings. The old iPhone batteries are an Achilles heel in the phone design.

In addition, I suspect that in the MAC OS, that "Connection to hidden SSID networks" is turned on by default.

Apple is notorious for not fixing Windows bugs unless the European Union brings financial heat. USB-C anybody? I suspect that this bug isn't ever going to be fixed.

Feb 23, 2023 8:04 AM in response to Kristaps_6000

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

The Hotspot is a carrier-specific feature. Contact your carrier, if it is not appearing on your device.

Also, check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On your windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also, check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

Apr 28, 2023 5:43 AM in response to Sebastien

I have the same issue with a Lenovo laptop running Fedora Linux. This laptop ran like a champ on my Pixel 4a. Now I am connecting to an iPhone 14 Pro.

This is a dealbreaker for me, and it's telling that one user had success if he connected with a Mac. This smells like too much system integration going on, and too little simple following of standards.

I don't think it's solved by the customer doing a bunch of backflips to get it to work. This sounds like a bug.

iPhone Hotspot keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.