Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Music crashing since updating to iOS 16.4

Since updating my iPhone 14 Pro to iOS 16.4, Apple Music has been crashing in a peculiar way. When listening to a smart playlist on shuffle, it plays the first song through and then crashes 1-2 minutes into the second song. This doesn’t happen if I have the playlist downloaded, just when it’s streaming. Talked with several customer service reps today. Here’s what we tried with no luck. Toggled Bluetooth and screen time off and back on. Deleted the smart playlist and created it anew. Reinstalled the Music app. Wiped the phone and restored from a backup. Wiped the phone and tried it on a fresh device with none of my apps and data. Customer service had me do a screen recording of it and send it to them which they have escalated to a higher department. Any ideas?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 11:50 PM

This is my scenario on 16.4.1 with music stored locally on the phone:

1. click either Songs or Albums
  2. click Shuffle
  3. song starts playing but all buttons become unresponsive. Playback stops about 20 seconds later (guessing, I didn’t time it) and app crashes.

This is NOT occurring when shuffling within a playlist, individual artist, or single album. It is only happening when shuffling the entire library via Songs or Albums. I have not added or removed anything from the library since prior to the 16.4.1 update, and it was working then, so it seems reasonable to conclude the issue was introduced with 16.4.1 (or possibly 16.4, I don’t remember if I used an all library shuffle while on that version, but I definitely did on 16.3.x and prior with no issues). I don’t remember the exact song count but I think it’s somewhere in the 10k-12k range.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 11:50 PM in response to slothpower

This is my scenario on 16.4.1 with music stored locally on the phone:

1. click either Songs or Albums
  2. click Shuffle
  3. song starts playing but all buttons become unresponsive. Playback stops about 20 seconds later (guessing, I didn’t time it) and app crashes.

This is NOT occurring when shuffling within a playlist, individual artist, or single album. It is only happening when shuffling the entire library via Songs or Albums. I have not added or removed anything from the library since prior to the 16.4.1 update, and it was working then, so it seems reasonable to conclude the issue was introduced with 16.4.1 (or possibly 16.4, I don’t remember if I used an all library shuffle while on that version, but I definitely did on 16.3.x and prior with no issues). I don’t remember the exact song count but I think it’s somewhere in the 10k-12k range.

Mar 31, 2023 10:37 AM in response to MickeyDavis2023

Seeing exactly the same issue. I use the delete option on the Songs list all the time, so this is extremely frustrating. Happens on both iPhone and iPad and when deleting via the watch app.

Also, the Return to Clock setting for the music app on the watch isn't working as expected. I have it set to stay in the music app when in session, but it's been returning to the clock immediately, most of the times when the screen goes to sleep.

Mar 30, 2023 5:43 PM in response to slothpower

Update: Apple called me back to have me try a few more things - toggling music sync off and back on and signing out of Apple Music. But neither of those worked.

After some experimenting I have narrowed down that it is just one single smart playlist that is affected by this. Deleting and remaking the playlist didn’t help. It has fairly simple rules: all songs that have not been played in the last 12 months. Admittedly it’s large, about 20,000 songs, but I have larger smart playlists that are not having this issue.

Mar 30, 2023 7:08 PM in response to slothpower

I discovered the problem while trying to play a playlist that is exactly like the one you mentioned. I switched to a playlist that had 331 songs in it and the problem went away. However, Apple still needs to fix this because I've been using that "not played in 12 months" playlist for years and the problem cropped up only after upgrading to 14.6.

Mar 30, 2023 7:45 PM in response to Box of Sound

This is really messed up. My problem has nothing to do with playlists. In fact playlists worked fine. I had downloaded about 9,000 songs. Play them on shuffle, delete a download and the app freezes then quits. So I deleted every download and tried again just streaming the song. Same thing, if I delete a song the app freezes then crashes.

Apr 2, 2023 9:41 AM in response to Box of Sound

More details on this bug: If you shuffle Songs in your library, the same thing happens if you have a large library. The song starts playing, and the app crashes. However, if you shuffle songs after selecting Albums, the app will not crash! I've been shuffling songs all morning long, but large playlists still cause the app to crash. Chew on that!

Apr 3, 2023 10:40 AM in response to slothpower

I get this on HomePods. All updated and when playing a station. The ones where you pick an artist and select “Create station”.

plays for an hour or two and then all speakers just stop. Open my phone and the all is dead and if I ask Siri to resume she doesn’t and just starts playing my station.

Not tried with a downloaded playlist

Apr 4, 2023 3:41 PM in response to slothpower

I’m seeing this behavior when playing Smart Playlists with Live Updating. For example, when playing a playlist with the theme of “Unplayed This Year”, the playback freezes a few seconds into the next song after each song finishes playing. Since the Live Updating would remove the song from the playlist that has just finished playing, since it no longer matches the rules of Unplayed this Year, it results in the playback freezing and stopping.

Apr 5, 2023 5:12 AM in response to slothpower

It seems to be a problem with any smart playlist that changes when a song is played. I use playlists based on the least recently played songs. Apple Music will play the first song, and sometime during the middle of the second song, it will try to update the library database and crash. Not only that, loading one of these playlists takes 30 seconds to a minute.

Regular playlists and smart playlists that do not change the play order work just fine, no matter how many songs.

Please fix this Apple, it’s hard to believe things like this make it through testing…

Apr 18, 2023 9:00 PM in response to slothpower

Not for me! I have 16.4.1 and am using the Music app but with iTunes Match not Apple Music. It is still giving me the same freezing issue when I shuffle and then edit/delete "playing next".

It only happens when I shuffle my whole library (almost 73,000 songs). When I shuffle downloaded songs there is no issue. I have been using iTunes Match for a years now and have never had an issue with it freezing, even with all of the songs I have in my library.

Any ideas?!?!

Apple Music crashing since updating to iOS 16.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.