Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

16.4.1 update now phone calls drop.

I have an iPhone 11 that worked perfectly. I did the recent 16.4.1 update and now my phone calls drop constantly. I have rebooted. I have reset network settings. I have no interest in a full reset that will cause me to start from scratch. I've had this phone for years. I love this phone. I can't tolerate that every 2 to 3 minutes phone calls disconnect. This only started after that update. It doesn't matter if it's incoming or outgoing. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 3:02 PM

71 replies

Aug 11, 2023 12:52 PM in response to Reddsonja

Saw this on another Apple communities forum and here's how to fix it! Finally after many months of Apple insisting it was the carrier's fault. It wasn't. It's a Siri bug!

1) Go to SETTINGS----- click "SIRI & SEARCH"----- click "CALL HANG-UP"----- "TURN OFF" it.

2) Go to SETTINGS----- click "ACCESSIBILITY"----- click "VOICEOVER" ----- then click "AUDIO"----- then turn off "AUTO-SELECT SPEAKER IN CALL".

Found this in this forum: Call drop in iPhone 11 - Apple Community

And they referred to this forum: iPhone 11 Call Drop FIXED - Apple Community

May 19, 2023 4:06 PM in response to Colopaly

I personally think support needs to get it together. They tell one person one thing then someone else different. We pay a lot for these phones, we need them for things in our daily lives. If they don’t know what’s wrong, just say hey we don’t know! But we’re working on it. I see so many have posted the same problem, but as I said before they tell me it’s my face touching the screen! Hard to talk without contact with the phone. I hope for all of us there will be a solution soon.

Apr 20, 2023 8:24 AM in response to pwoodies

pwoodies wrote: "So to be clear, you are suggesting that because my battery was not in great shape, the update corrupted in someway?"

No. The update didn't corrupt anything. Simply, you had an already weak battery (only 80% max capacity) which was made even weaker by the long, demanding process of applying the iOS update. That update was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back."

õ¿õ¬

Apr 20, 2023 7:39 AM in response to pwoodies

pwoodies wrote: "80% is what it shows when I check that setting."

80% is not healthy and is probably the reason for the dropped calls. (The battery failing to provide sufficient power to the iPhone's antenna to maintain a connection with cell tower signals.) Apple recommends replacing the battery at around 80%. So have the weak, aging battery replaced and all will be well:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

Repair Provider Verification

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

Apr 20, 2023 7:51 AM in response to pwoodies

pwoodies wrote:

Thank you. Is that something I can do on my own if I buy a new battery or do I have to take it to the so-called geniuses at Apple?

Well, if you do it yourself and you mess it up (easy to do if you're not experienced) then you'll have to pay for any resulting repairs yourself. If, on the other hand, you have Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Provider do the replacement, it's unlikely that they will do damage in the process. If they do, they will be responsible for fixing it. And, the replacement is covered by warranty for 90 days.

I had Apple replace the battery in my 11 Pro in the fall. It felt as if it were a brand-new phone.

Apr 21, 2023 5:15 PM in response to Sami2330

I talked to a local repair store, and they told me not to put more money into the phone with a new battery, and to just tolerate it as long as I could, and maybe consider eventually buying a new phone. He said Apple's next update might fix it. I appreciated his honesty, given that he could've made money off me going to get a new battery at his store. I'm trying to just tolerate the reality that my phone calls drop constantly. Luckily my work laptop (i work from home) has zoom and I can make phone calls on that in a crunch. The whole thing is extremely annoying.

May 14, 2023 9:30 PM in response to pwoodies

I have the same issue with dropped calls on my iPhone 11 since the update. Extremely frustrating and I’ve also gone through many steps to correct it including reinstalling a SIM, getting a new SIM, resetting network setting, having the carrier recalibrate, rebooting, airplane mode in and off, etc. Really important calls have dropped.

I don’t know if this is related, but I also noticed that since the latest update it sometimes (not always) takes an extra second for something to register when I touch my screen and my battery seems to drain faster. All this in the past week and a half.

My battery is fine.

16.4.1 update now phone calls drop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.