I too, am convinced a "friend" has remotely installed some sort of stalkerware on my iPhone 13 Pro

So I discovered over the past 6 months or so, my friend had been saying things or hinting to me in conversation, that indicated to me, he had been eavesdropping on my life! Things impossible to know without having access to the phone's camera and microphone, etc. There have been far too many instances to call it coincidental. Including rapid battery drainage, random apps open when I access my phone (I run a super clean phone), etc. All the classic signs of stalkerware.

I finally realized after clicking on a link that he had sent me, it took me to some random persons Instagram page, completely different than our conversation, with photos that I took of an exact location, with my family the week before, which he had no knowledge of! (I do remember how glitchy the transition between the messaging app and the link was.) It was clear at this point by clicking that link, it downloaded the remote stalkerware.

I called Apple support. They had me change the password on my Apple ID. I did but still experiencing the symptoms of the stalkerware. Unfortunately, apple did not advise me, and the password was changed on the phone so they still had access to keylogging. So just today I changed the password on my PC at https://appleid.apple.com/. Im hoping this does the trick.

Additionally, I activated "Lockdown Mode" on the phone a month back which seemed to work for a bit but then things started up again after clicking on shared links.

(For now, I'll have to see how it goes, but if that doesn't work I'll have to try the factory reset.)

Im guessing I can no longer click on their solicited or unsolicited links? I copy and paste into the browser but not sure im avoiding anything?

Thoughts?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 10:20 PM

TheAIPlague Said:

"I too, am convinced a 'friend' has remotely installed some sort of stalkerware on my iPhone 13 Pro"

-------

Restore to Factory Settings:

If you are so concerned, then restore your iPad to factory settings. Perform as instructed here, incline the iCloud sight out: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Backing Up Items:

Note that all downloads would be lost. So, make a note of Apps that were downloaded. Also, enable items in iCloud, so that all is backed up. As an example, here is how to backup Contacts...

I. Enable Contacts in iCloud Settings:

Is Contacts enabled in iCloud Settings? If not, then enable it, and see if it pops up. If so, then it is gone amongst all devices associated to your Apple ID. So, to enable it:

A. Enabling on an iPad:

Enable Contacts in iCloud:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: your name (top item)
  3. Tap: iCloud
  4. Tap: Contacts (so that it is green)

and...

B. Enable on a Mac:

Is Contacts enabled in Apple ID on your Mac? If not, enable it.

1. Go to: System Preferences
  2. Click: Apple ID
  3. Enable: Contacts

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 10:20 PM in response to TheAIPlague

TheAIPlague Said:

"I too, am convinced a 'friend' has remotely installed some sort of stalkerware on my iPhone 13 Pro"

-------

Restore to Factory Settings:

If you are so concerned, then restore your iPad to factory settings. Perform as instructed here, incline the iCloud sight out: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Backing Up Items:

Note that all downloads would be lost. So, make a note of Apps that were downloaded. Also, enable items in iCloud, so that all is backed up. As an example, here is how to backup Contacts...

I. Enable Contacts in iCloud Settings:

Is Contacts enabled in iCloud Settings? If not, then enable it, and see if it pops up. If so, then it is gone amongst all devices associated to your Apple ID. So, to enable it:

A. Enabling on an iPad:

Enable Contacts in iCloud:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: your name (top item)
  3. Tap: iCloud
  4. Tap: Contacts (so that it is green)

and...

B. Enable on a Mac:

Is Contacts enabled in Apple ID on your Mac? If not, enable it.

1. Go to: System Preferences
  2. Click: Apple ID
  3. Enable: Contacts

Apr 27, 2023 3:55 PM in response to shoeluvr13

About 6-8 months ago, we were at a group dinner. I handed him the phone to look at some photos. (This is a good friend of many years, never thought twice) I may have gotten up to use the restroom but other friends were looking at the photos on the phone as well. I don't believe they would be coconspiring, but I could be wrong. Is there a way to check if the phone has been jailbroken?

I too, am convinced a "friend" has remotely installed some sort of stalkerware on my iPhone 13 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.