Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Add eSIM option missing on iPhone

hello, im using 1 sim and right now i’m trying to activate esim but i can’t, esim’ QR code is not working and there is no add esim or add data plan in setting, so i can’t activate it, please help!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on May 2, 2023 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 10:32 PM

I phone 14 Pro

Model : MQ0G3ZD/A

Add Esim Option suddenly vanished

103 replies

Apr 6, 2024 6:19 AM in response to LakepaBeth

LakepaBeth wrote:

Hi I have an iPhone 12 Pro and I can’t seem to have the option of eSIM. Can someone help me please

There are two primary reasons for not having the option to use eSim:

1. The phone was manufactured for China, Macau or Hong Kong and doesn't support eSim at all
  2. You carrier doesn't support eSim or it hasn't been set up for your account

Assuming your phone wasn't manufactured for the three markets noted, contact your carrier for help.

May 2, 2023 3:07 AM in response to dato279

See these two circumstances:

• Your iPhone model 13 was manufactured for China, Macao or HongKong markets. Should be this case, it doesn't support eSIMs. Just 2 physical SIM cards.
  • You have restrictions enabled in your ScreenTime. Go to Settings>ScreenTime>Content & Privacy Restrictions>Allow Changes... the first 3 options MUST be set to "Allow". When done, restart your iPhone.

Regards

Giulio

Aug 11, 2023 7:08 AM in response to Mnp89

Yes, an A2218 iPhone should support eSIMs.

Can you see the "Add eSIM" (in blue) option in Settings>Cellular?

Should be this case, contact your carrier and ask them for a new traffic plan with eSIM.

If you cannot see the "Add eSIM" option, please contact Apple Support directly, using this link:--> Contact Apple for support and service , and explain your problem.

Regards

Giulio

Nov 14, 2023 1:50 PM in response to Mnp89

For the iPhone 11 Pro Max, the Support document says (emphasis mine):

"Model numbers: A2161 (Canada, United States), A2220 (China mainland, Hong Kong, Macao), A2218 (other countries and regions)"

I think that means it is a dual-SIM phone that supports both nano-SIM and eSIM. However, a note in the Technical Specifications indicates that carriers can disable the eSIM functionality:

iPhone 11 Pro Max - Technical Specifications

Not all carriers support eSIM. Use of eSIM in iPhone may be disabled when purchased from some carriers. See your carrier for details.

Sep 17, 2023 8:10 PM in response to dato279

I had this issue and it took me a long time to figure out. I did not find the answer on any forums. I ended up taking my phone to the Apple Store and the Genius Bar found the esim module was not installed on my iPhone and they swapped it out. I can now add an esim using the QR code or setting up manually. Hope this helps others.

Add eSIM option missing on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.