Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My Apple TV app stopped working on LG tv

My Apple TV app stopped responding on LG tv, pretty new Tv bought 1,5 years ago. I switched off-on, rebooted rooter, nothing helped. I deleted Apple TV app as it was recommended online but to reinstall back is the problem. My LG tv App Store does not find Apple TV app anymore. What should I do? Thanks

Posted on May 12, 2023 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 1:53 PM

I have the same issue with the B6 as Hypermidget. I have a newer (2022) LG OLED upstairs and no problem with Apple TV + app. Spent a long time on the phone with very helpful LG tech support this morning. Tried everything -- reset app, remove and reinstall app, change DNS server, change network connection to different wireless SSID, try internet connection using my phone as a hotspot, reset TV, reset TV to default settings (ugh wiped out my individual picture settings). Nothing worked. Ultimate conclusion was that Apple TV + latest update made it incompatible (at least for many of the streaming shows) with the older LG OLEDs. This is something that started for me probably two weeks ago. Can't remember when the last Apple TV + app update on LG was but probably around that same time. This is definitely an Apple problem and the more of us that inform them of this incompatability the higher the chance that they will first, acknowledge the problem, and second, possible address it with a software fix.

And just to be clear, I can get into the app and start each of these streaming shows. They run for about a minute or so. Then the sound cuts out. Then the video freezes. And finally a gray screen shows up stating that the video was unavailable or cannot load and that I should check my internet connection.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2023 1:53 PM in response to hypermidget

I have the same issue with the B6 as Hypermidget. I have a newer (2022) LG OLED upstairs and no problem with Apple TV + app. Spent a long time on the phone with very helpful LG tech support this morning. Tried everything -- reset app, remove and reinstall app, change DNS server, change network connection to different wireless SSID, try internet connection using my phone as a hotspot, reset TV, reset TV to default settings (ugh wiped out my individual picture settings). Nothing worked. Ultimate conclusion was that Apple TV + latest update made it incompatible (at least for many of the streaming shows) with the older LG OLEDs. This is something that started for me probably two weeks ago. Can't remember when the last Apple TV + app update on LG was but probably around that same time. This is definitely an Apple problem and the more of us that inform them of this incompatability the higher the chance that they will first, acknowledge the problem, and second, possible address it with a software fix.

And just to be clear, I can get into the app and start each of these streaming shows. They run for about a minute or so. Then the sound cuts out. Then the video freezes. And finally a gray screen shows up stating that the video was unavailable or cannot load and that I should check my internet connection.

May 12, 2023 6:41 AM in response to TatianaAn

When restarting the TV, switching it on/off by remote only puts it in standby. Try these steps to restart the TV.

• Unplug TV from wall
  • Hold down power button on TV (not the remote) for 60 seconds
  • Plug TV back into wall.
  • Startup and try to download again.

You can also check Apple's System Status page to see if the service is down, but as of now there are no problems.

Apple - Support - System Status

Verify the Region/Location setting on your LG TV. It may be under the General Setting.

Does your IP location match the region you are currently at and you are not using a VPN.

https://tools.keycdn.com/geo

Aug 25, 2023 7:29 PM in response to wht32

I have not experienced any trouble, just reporting the versions I have to see if it can be narrowed to any specific web os version. My TV is the LG OLED55CXPUA

WebOS: 5.4.3

Apple TV version: 13.5.1.19

I'm wondering if your TV has a different WebOS version that Apple is not providing updates for. I believe the B6 came with WebOS 3.0 and don't know if LG has an upgrade path to a newer WebOS version. Here is the Apple TV Support page, you may be able to choose the Contact Apple link at the bottom of that page to ask the specific question about support for your WebOS version on the TV.

TV Support - Official Apple Support

Aug 13, 2023 1:19 PM in response to TatianaAn

I'm in Canada using a 2016 LG B6 OLED TV with the same issue as detailed here, some shows play, but not all.

Shows that play:

• Ted Lasso
  • High Desert
  • Silo

Shows that DO NOT play:

• H/Jack
  • Foundation
  • Physical
  • Platonic
  • The Afterparty

They play for maybe 30 seconds, then the sound goes out followed by the video, finally a screen that says the video can't play and to check the Internet connection. My internet is a fibre 300 symmetrical connection in a 850 sq ft open concept flat, so connectivity is not an issue.

I tried the remedy suggested below, and that didn't fix it either, not even temporarily. If anyone has any other suggestions, I am absolutely open to them please.

Thanks, Bruce!

May 12, 2023 7:25 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

Thank you very much for your response! I tried all from your list, but did not work.

The only thing it might be is my location. I tried to change location in TV settings, but I could not. I bought TV in Belgium but 10 months ago moved to Singapore. All these months all worked well. Now I tried to change location but Singapore is not in the list. How can I do it and where I can change IP address? Thank you

Aug 25, 2023 10:24 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

LG 2016 models run webos 3.0. LG 2017 models run webos 3.5. LG do not upgrade webos to newer major versions.

The Apple tv+ app is still available in the LG content store. This indicates it should still be supported.

If it's limited to SD, it plays fine. In HD, it will play for a bit, then the sound cuts out, then a few seconds later it errors out with 'video not available'. Maybe it's something to do with the audio. Who wants to watch in SD though, it looks terrible.

My webos version is 3.4.2

Apple tv version inside the app is 13.5.1.5 (lg2016uhd):apple:1.0

Apr 7, 2024 1:00 PM in response to TatianaAn

I am not sure if there is a more recent strain related to this issue. If so, someone please direct me there. I have a brand new LGOLED TV and I am having the same issue. Anytime I try to access the Apple TV app. It indicates the network is unavailable. I called LG Support we deleted the app reloaded which required using my iPhone hotspot. It reloaded and we were able to get into Apple TV. It was working fine. The next time I turned on the TV it is the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.

My Apple TV app stopped working on LG tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.