Preview is automatically assigning password to saved PDF files

I use preview to open and split PDF files. Normally it works great. Today however it is assigning passwords to all my saved PDF's and now I cannot re-open them after saving because they are somehow being password protected! I have opened the preferences area and there is no way to make Preview automatically assign a password! What the heck is going on here? I have work to complete and I cannot move forward.

UPDATE: Mac is running Ventura and preview 11.0 - - Just tried this on my MacBook Pro running Ventura and Preview 11.0 and the message is [document "..." could not be saved as "..."] I suspect there is a problem with Preview 11.0

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2024 3:42 AM

This thread is a year old. The PDF locking bug in Preview appears to be fixed in Sonoma. See Problems with encrypted PDF - Apple Community

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 15, 2023 12:13 PM in response to ravikanth180

This is a feature/bug in Preview. If the original PDF has any kind of security attached, then any modification to the file will set it in fully locked mode.

With respect to what you are doing, the behaviour in Preview makes sense. If someone is putting restrictions on a PDF document, that should prevent people from slicing and dicing them. Most people encounter this bug when they are trying to use a fill-in PDF. Locking the document is clearly inappropriate in that case.

May 20, 2024 7:10 PM in response to ravikanth180

The Bug in Preview LIVES ON!

Start filling out a .pdf on the web using Safari; File -> Export to PDF. Open Preview, File -> Open (select file previously exported). And I am presented with "The document is password protected. Please enter the password below."

Of course, I have no idea what the password is because someone else set it so that I could fill out the form, save the form, print the form while not being able to modify the form itself.

Apple - this is an ongoing issue. Please fix and please help users who are losing valuable time and data as a result. I have a traumatic brain injury and there is no way I will be able to recreate the contents of the form I filled out. This is unacceptable. PLEASE HELP!

So called "unlock tools" only serve to steal your data. And code to supposedly flip the encrypt switch and thus remove the requirement which Preview levied to open the file went on to delete the contents of the file.

Either remove Preview from your offerings or fix it.

Preview is automatically assigning password to saved PDF files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.