You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t Generate App-Specific Password

I had to reset my my Macbook Air to factory settings. I’m trying to create app-specific passwords, fort example to add my iCloud email account to Outlook.

When I go to create a password, rather than getting the password as usual, I get the following message: "Continue on one of your devices. On an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch go to Settings > Apple ID. On a Mac go to System Preferences or System Settings > Apple ID."

I’ve never seen this before. This also happens on my iMac.I go to Apple ID, but then what? Nothing happens.

Has anyone encountered this? Even the Apple support page Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support does not mention this.

Has anyone encountered this? Any ideas on how to get the password?

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 4:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 7:46 AM

I had this same issue and did the following:

1. I went to system settings -> passwords
  2. "Passwords are Locked" -> authenticated
  3. Security Recommendations -> deleted all of the old passwords (They show compromised)
  4. Logged back into appleid.apple.com -> generate app specific passwords and it worked.

Good Luck!

Similar questions

113 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 29, 2023 7:46 AM in response to RN12

I had this same issue and did the following:

1. I went to system settings -> passwords
  2. "Passwords are Locked" -> authenticated
  3. Security Recommendations -> deleted all of the old passwords (They show compromised)
  4. Logged back into appleid.apple.com -> generate app specific passwords and it worked.

Good Luck!

Aug 2, 2023 10:13 AM in response to RN12

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestion to use a browser other than Safari.

I had a more involved version of the same problem. I tried to change my Apple ID, but appleid.apple.com said I couldn't use the same address as my notification email address -- so I tried to change my notification email address, and got the same bogus message you've been discussing, to "continue on one of my devices".

After wasting more time on the problem than I care to think about, I finally found the suggestion here to use a browser other than Safari. Using Brave Browser, I was able to make the changes.

BTW, when I tried to use Chrome, appleid.apple.com refused to connect to it. Does anyone have any idea why that would happen?

Jul 31, 2023 8:55 AM in response to RN12

From all accounts, this appears to be an issue introduced in the last few days. I don't see how a new software update would cause this because this is a service-side issue. This is something the corresponding team at Apple would need to fix. There are no tangible steps that can resolve this on the customer side. I also don't see how deleting passwords in Keychain would impact app-specific passwords. You shouldn't need to delete them, it's likely just a coincidence.

I hope Apple acknowledges this issue and provides a fix soon.

Jul 31, 2023 7:16 PM in response to RN12

I had a similar thing happen to me tonight. I was able to resolve by forcing manual login to my account as opposed to allowing appleid.icloud.com to log in using my Mac password. My guess is that this has something to do with whether 2FA was required before the login completed. By telling it to "use another Apple ID" and then just logging in with my usual custom AppleID and my password (followed by 2FA), it worked fine.

Cheers,

-Gaige

Aug 2, 2023 11:43 PM in response to annmarie253

Use Chrome to access appleid.apple.com then clicking the "app specific password" box (bottom right) responds correctly when you type in "app nickname" asking again for your apple ID password.

This last step does not occur in safari, rather one is instructed to go to the device settings (mac) > apple id which DOES NOT WORK in SAFARI - UGH - use Chrome!

Can’t Generate App-Specific Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.