Guided access frozen on screen capture

So, I use guided access for my little one. After the last update, my child somehow gets the iPad to screen chapter while in guided access mode. And it glitches somehow l, since it shouldn’t allow user to get out of the current application. And the screen completely freezes, I can still use Siri, but the screen freezes in the screen capture part. And the part that is really annoying is that I can’t force a shut down no matter how long I hold the buttons. I have to wait for the battery to die and then charge it to get it working again. Is there a solution that I am not finding??

iPad Pro

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 8:37 AM

This is the BEST ANSWER!

To perform a hard reset on your iPad with or without a home button, you'll first need to exit guided access. You can do this by entering your code or using your fingerprint. After that, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold both the home and power buttons simultaneously. (IPAD WITH HOME BUTTON. 1a. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button. Press and hold the top button until your device begins to restart. ( IPAD WITHOUT HOME BUTTON)

2. Keep holding them down for about a minute or two until the reset takes place.

The crucial next step is to disable the screenshot feature. Here's how:

1. Go to Settings > General > Gestures.

2. Turn off the screenshot function, which is typically activated by a left swipe.

By following these steps, you should no longer experience a frozen screen due to accidental swipes while in guided access. You're welcome! 😊 your ex Apple Advisor

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 8:37 AM in response to SHYZM94

This is the BEST ANSWER!

To perform a hard reset on your iPad with or without a home button, you'll first need to exit guided access. You can do this by entering your code or using your fingerprint. After that, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold both the home and power buttons simultaneously. (IPAD WITH HOME BUTTON. 1a. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button. Press and hold the top button until your device begins to restart. ( IPAD WITHOUT HOME BUTTON)

2. Keep holding them down for about a minute or two until the reset takes place.

The crucial next step is to disable the screenshot feature. Here's how:

1. Go to Settings > General > Gestures.

2. Turn off the screenshot function, which is typically activated by a left swipe.

By following these steps, you should no longer experience a frozen screen due to accidental swipes while in guided access. You're welcome! 😊 your ex Apple Advisor

Aug 9, 2023 5:07 PM in response to SHYZM94

When you are stuck in Guided Access mode, you can be really stuck as the typical triple tap on the home button to quit out of Guided Access may not work. Even a forced exit won't work because the power button and the home button are disabled. 

The only way to get out of Guided Access is to press the Home and Power button together for 15 seconds. This should turn off Guided Access by forcibly rebooting your device. Once your device is restarted, you can then go to Settings > Accessibility > Guided Access > Guided Access - and turn off Guided Access if needed.

Use Guided Access on iPad - Apple Support

Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

For iPad’s without a physical Home button, you’ll need to follow a different button sequence…

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Sep 11, 2023 5:31 PM in response to SHYZM94

I press and hold the power button and the home button. My iPad is the 10th generation. I have to hold them down for about a minute or two sometimes before it hard resets. I also read about turning the screenshot off. Go to settings-general-gestures-and turned off the screenshots (usually on the left swipe). I just turned off the screenshot that way and now I wait to see if the iPad does it again with my kid on guided access. Hope this helps! :)

Aug 10, 2023 4:53 AM in response to SHYZM94

You may need to seek assistance directly from Apple Support.

You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to assist:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Nov 9, 2023 2:33 PM in response to SHYZM94

Had this same issue- and found the solution.

-iPad has a top button

-it has 2 volume buttons on the side

-quickly pressing the button is a “normal” button press that you’d use to turn the volume up / down, etc

1) quickly press and release the volume button closest to the top button (volume up)

2) quickly press and release the volume button farthest from the top button (volume down)

3) press and hold the top button- release the hold when you see the Apple logo

Now your toddler-locked iPad is back in action.

I wasn’t even mad at my kid for locking up the hungry caterpillar app- sort of proud actually.

Jan 29, 2024 1:16 AM in response to SHYZM94

Does anyone know yet if this is a bug in the OS and will be fixed with updates? It is great that we can do a reset but when we use them for medical devices and the patient cannot use it until a carer finally resets it for them, it is not very helpful. I have now turned off the screenshot gesture, hopefully this will help, but surely Apple should respond to this issue?

Thanks

Guided access frozen on screen capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.