Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

HDR playback laggy or impossible in QuickTime

I've been experiencing some issues with HDR material played through QuickTime. Whether it's a preview or photos, the playback is extremely slow. My MacBook tends to freeze and experience lag when I try to play the material. Even after closing the movie that was playing, it takes some time for the system to recover its normal speed. Both the mouse and keyboard become laggy during this time. Interestingly, my Mac operates perfectly fine under normal conditions.

I've tried playing both MOV and MP4 files, whether they're from my iPhone or directly from my Sony a7IV camera. Strangely, I haven't encountered any problems when using VLC Player.

Its very annoying when trying to preview movie clips.

Does anyone have any suggestions or hints to help resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 10:26 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 16, 2023 10:53 PM in response to mr_case

> any suggestions or hints to help resolve this issue

Use IINA.

Try to completely remove Chrome, if it exists (at leas in Final Cut it is reported to cause poor performance).

https://chromeisbad.com

An EtreCheck report would obviate much guesswork:

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Jan 9, 2024 2:35 PM in response to mr_case

I had what I think is the same problem when playing .MOV video files from my iPhone on my Mac (Intel).

I just upgraded to Ventura (13.6.3). Upgraded my phone recently too (17.2.1). Both QuickTime Player and QuickLook became _very_ slow to load and play new iPhone videos. QuickLook seems to be caching them for multiple seconds, then they play normally. However, strangely, the Finder is slow/laggy when you _stop_ playing such videos for at least 5 seconds before the Finder returns to responsiveness. For example, can't move windows, turn volume with touchbar during these 5 seconds.

I found that videos recorded on the iPhone with "Camera->Record Video->HDR Video" turned off play fine.

(Confusingly, _sometimes_ playing the _same video_ (recorded with HDR on) is laggy, but sometimes not. I have not been able to isolate why. Even without rebooting in between tries.)

HDR playback laggy or impossible in QuickTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.