Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do you create an app specific password? It's changed

I'm trying to create an app specific password as I done dozens of time before but when I go to manage my ID and choose, generate an app specific password it now give me a screen telling me to go to my Apple ID on one of my devices. When I go there, nothing happens and I don't see an option to generate a password.

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2023 4:11 PM

This "continue on" message seems to be a new message appearing in various contexts. If you are doing something where an app-specific password could be involved*, follow the steps in Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

How to generate an app-specific password

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, select App-Specific Passwords.

3. Select Generate an app-specific password or select the Add button , then follow the steps on your screen.

4. Enter or paste the app-specific password into the password field of the app.

Others report having encountered this in various contexts such as when editing Apple Account information with a web browser. You can try proceeding editing the information as indicated in the messages by using Settings. Others have found using a different browser or simply trying again may work.

Related discussions:

every time I tried to create an app-speci… - Apple Community

- "Someone in another post said to use a different browser (not Safari or whichever one you normally use). That worked for me."

- "Use a computer to generate the App specific passwords. Don't use Safari or Chrome. I got it to work using Firefox on my Mac."

- "the Chrome browser works for me."

Can't change Apple ID - Apple Community

- "OK it just worked. No idea what was going on before. Thanks for the help anyway!"

Can't Change / Remove Apple ID Notificati… - Apple Community

- Occurred while changing account information using a web browser.

I can't find how to continue App Specific… - Apple Community

- "The solution to the problem is not to allow the iPhone or Mac to sign you in automatically with FaceID or TouchID, but instead I found complete success in manually signing in with my Apple ID and password, which then prompted a two-factor authentication prompt and code. Following that sequence, I was able to successfully revoke and add app-specific passwords."

I'm trying to add a new app-specific pass… - Apple Community

- So I ended up getting on the phone with Apple about this… turns out it was an issue with Safari. As soon as I tried to create a new app-specific password in Chrome, it worked perfectly.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2023 4:11 PM in response to Steve Sweitzer

This "continue on" message seems to be a new message appearing in various contexts. If you are doing something where an app-specific password could be involved*, follow the steps in Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

How to generate an app-specific password

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, select App-Specific Passwords.

3. Select Generate an app-specific password or select the Add button , then follow the steps on your screen.

4. Enter or paste the app-specific password into the password field of the app.

Others report having encountered this in various contexts such as when editing Apple Account information with a web browser. You can try proceeding editing the information as indicated in the messages by using Settings. Others have found using a different browser or simply trying again may work.