Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Horizontal grey bar on my M1 iMac screen

For the past 2-3 days I have been seeing a greyish bar on my M1 iMac's screen. After a few hours the grey bar starts to blink on & off, sometimes disappearing entirely but reappearing again after a 'wakeup from sleep'.

What exactly is happening here? And what can be done to fix this issue?

And yes, I did the obligatory restart/shutdown etc. but this grey bar still appears.

iMac 24″

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 11:35 AM

8 replies

Aug 20, 2023 11:53 AM in response to Oceanborn81

If your Mac doesn't wake when you expect

Your Mac might pause a few seconds before it wakes up. If it doesn't seem to wake at all, check for these possibilities:

Your screen brightness might be turned down.

If you're using an external display, your display might be turned off.

Your Mac might be in safe sleep. To wake from safe sleep, press the power button.

Check for a sleep indicator light, if applicable, and make sure that your Mac isn't turned off.

If the previous steps don't work

These additional steps may help identify or resolve the issue:

Reset the SMC.

Reset NVRAM.

Disconnect external devices other than your Apple keyboard, mouse, and display. If that resolves the issue, gradually reconnect your devices, testing each time, until you find the device that is interfering with sleep. Then check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer.

Start up in Safe Mode to see if the issue is related to non-Apple startup items, login items, or kernel extensions.

Try to isolate the issue by using another user account.

Aug 20, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Varunprakash

Mate, instead of repeating the standard stock answer where prob 90% stated is not applicable in any way shape or form, maybe you or someone else can actually help me to find a solution to my particular issue?

No, my computer screen is NOT turned off and no, the display brightness have NOT been reduced.

And I read someplace else there is no SMC reset for M1 macs.

There is a greyish bar on my turned on, display brightness on, 'non sleeping' M1 iMac screen.

If you or anyone else are familiar with the solution to this exact problem, can you tell me how to get rid of this please?

Aug 20, 2023 9:05 PM in response to ku4hx

That's fine. The thing is a good many people have gotten into the habit now of simply copy pasting numerous stock answers that has nothing to do with the problem or even the device at hand, a very frustrating part of this community thread now.

The new iMacs's have integrated graphics built into the M1 itself so the repair will prob be basically the replacing of the entire board. One of the 'joys' of Apple's obsession with slimming and integrating everything! However I am personally leaning towards this being an issue with the screen itself.

Yeah, looks like I need to have Apple examine this. Still, Thanks for your attempt mate.

Horizontal grey bar on my M1 iMac screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.