Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Apple Pencil no longer working after recent software update

I saw this inquiry posted by DeanMacSha from March. I updated my iPad with the new software. Now my iPad is not connecting to my Apple Pencil. When I attempt to connect it just shows the Apple Pencil bubble at the top and will not actually connect for use. This looks to be a known issue and it is now happening to me. I’ve tried the following

• forgetting the device and reconnecting
  • turning on and off blue tooth
  • leaving Pencil connected and then trying back 30 min later

I have the second generation Pencil and iPad Air 4th gen

my Pencil was working fine and after the 16.6 updated version I immediately started experiencing issues.

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 2:13 PM

This is what’s happening to me! It shows the pencil attached but will not work when I try and use it. I have restart/rebooted and reset but nothing works. Initially after disconnecting from my Bluetooth, iPad acted like it would connect again to my pencil and now won’t show the pencil on the list, just shows the pencil when I attach it to the side then the pencil disappears and I cant select pair or anything! Super frustrating and I’m feeling like I might leave apple.

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2023 2:13 PM in response to NoslenElyob

This is what’s happening to me! It shows the pencil attached but will not work when I try and use it. I have restart/rebooted and reset but nothing works. Initially after disconnecting from my Bluetooth, iPad acted like it would connect again to my pencil and now won’t show the pencil on the list, just shows the pencil when I attach it to the side then the pencil disappears and I cant select pair or anything! Super frustrating and I’m feeling like I might leave apple.

Dec 24, 2023 11:38 AM in response to LotusPilot

These suggestions are all well and good, but the issue we are all reporting is that our Apple Pencils have “suddenly stopped working after the recent update”. This is not a pairing issue, or a battery issue. This is an Apple software issue. Apple needs to take note and provide a solution. We spend a lot of money on these devices, and many people make a living with their iPads and Pencils. The lack of urgency to acknowledge and fix this issue is beyond frustrating.

Dec 3, 2023 1:56 AM in response to krarcd36

I hope the Apple technical team is reading these. It can’t be all of us suddenly have this issue after updates.

Then the funny part was, I grab a cheaper stylus pen from e-commerce and it worked but not my Apple Pencil. And the Apple Pencil was still possible to be used till 2 weeks ago when I updated the version. It is less than 2 years old.

so frustrating

Nov 9, 2023 11:21 AM in response to Raspberryswirl21

i installed the iOS 17 on my iPad 10th generation and after 2 days my Apple Pencil 1 started lagging, so I forgot the device and now I can’t pair it anymore. I tried all that Apple recommends and watched YouTube videos too. What should I do now? I live in a country where there is no Apple Store how can I fix it. I’ve tried resetting my iPad, charging the pencil but nothing seems to work

Nov 10, 2023 7:53 PM in response to krarcd36

My pencil has stopped responding as well and I’ve tried every suggestion at least twice. When I put it on the charging strip, it shows the Apple pen battery notification which read 98 at first and now reads 100. If I double tap the pen, it responds correctly (goes from pen to eraser and vice versa), but I cannot use it to draw, write, or even select apps on the home screen. It also will not connect/charge with my tablet cover on, which has never been an issue before.

Like I’ve said, I’ve tried all the troubleshooting suggestions and nothing has worked. I made sure the nib was screwed on properly and even changed nibs. I’ve restarted the iPad, unpaired the pencil, left the pencil charging, closed all the open apps, and no results. I use this for commission work, I can’t afford a new pen when I can’t sell commissions for one!

Oct 18, 2023 7:11 PM in response to ospreyfe55

I’m trying to get help from apple support but this is not a “known issue” despite it being reported here and elsewhere. I think the iPad software thinks the pencil is charged (it shows 100%) and so it is not charging the pencil because it would be programmed not to keep charging if it thinks the pencil is at 100% but it’s really at 0%. The support people were unable to help and referred me to go to the Apple Store.

Nov 5, 2023 1:22 AM in response to krarcd36

I’m having a kinda similar problem

it started after iPad os 17 where my ‏Apple Pencil disconnects randomly for a second then it reconnects on its own while I’m writing.i am sure that it’s not a physical problem (not from the tip of the screen protector) because whenever that happens the Apple Pencil does not appear on the widget

I tried every solution in the book such as resetting my network settings or force restart and I even erased everything on my iPad and I tried a new Apple Pencil and the problem is still there so it’s probably an iPad issue

this problem does not happen with other Bluetooth devices such as AirPods.

I have an iPad Air 5

2nd gen Apple Pencil

Please release an update that fixes this problem

Apple Pencil no longer working after recent software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.