Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook Air M1 trackpad click not working

This is a very very strange issue... MacBook Air M1 2020

My trackpad physical click stopped working. Reboot did not solve. I ran hardware diagnostic and received diagnostic code NDR006 indicating a possible problem with trackpad.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

• connect an external USB hub
  • connect an external hard drive to the external USB hub and leave connected overnight
  • disconnect external USB hub
  • plug-in power adapter
  • close your MacBook Air M1
  • after a few hours open MacBook Air M1

result:

• The trackpad is stuck - not clickable (feels like something is under the trackpad preventing clicks)

fix:

• Hold the power (Touch ID) button about 10 seconds to force shut down. Wait a minute or two and power on with the Touch ID button.
  • Trackpad physical clicking works again.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 11:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 7:51 AM

Mine works after restarting the computer or forcing the device to shut down like you mentioned. This happens randomly on my device and its pretty annoying. I noticed I can use gestures and two finger click (right click). Only the left click is not working.

My OS is updated to Sonoma 14.1.1 and I'm wondering if this is just an issue with the update as I haven't experience this before.

I haven't tried to run diagnostic yet but will probably do.

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2023 7:51 AM in response to catalytica

Mine works after restarting the computer or forcing the device to shut down like you mentioned. This happens randomly on my device and its pretty annoying. I noticed I can use gestures and two finger click (right click). Only the left click is not working.

My OS is updated to Sonoma 14.1.1 and I'm wondering if this is just an issue with the update as I haven't experience this before.

I haven't tried to run diagnostic yet but will probably do.

Mar 12, 2024 8:40 PM in response to catalytica

This has been happenng to me as well. It's not just just the trackpad, but mouse click gets jammed as well.

When the "click" gets "selectively" jammed I can only click within browser, for instance, and desktop icons but dock items. Some other application, it behaves like right click (even I left clicking, as if I was holding option or control key)

Then it always takes a restart or two to resolve.

My spec is 2021 M1 Macbook Pro Max and on the latest Sonoma 14.3.1.

I even reinstalled macOS but the problem is still there ...

Apr 2, 2024 5:45 AM in response to catalytica

The trackpad does not physically click. Mac trackpads haven't physically clicked since 2017 I believe. It feels like they click because of the haptics. If there is no power to the trackpad it will not vibrate (which feels like a click).

They removed the physical movement so that any part of the trackpad can be clicked with the same amount of pressure. With a hinge you press lighter at the bottom and harder at the top. For years the trackpad has been a stationary piece of glass

MacBook Air M1 trackpad click not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.