Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Merged Voicemails after IOS 17 Update

My wife and I share an Apple ID but have different cell phone numbers. We both have iPhone 14 Pro Max.

When I updated to iOS 17, yesterday, I lost all ability to make changes on the Apple ID (the picture got grayed out in Settings). Can't even enter it.

When she upgraded to iOS 17, today, our voice mail gots merged. When someone leaves a VM on her phone, it shows up on mine. Same as leaving a VM on mine, it shows up in hers. When I delete a VM on my phone, it gets deleted on hers and vice-versa.

How do we need to change to get back to separate voice mails? Please help.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 8:57 PM

***** HERE IS THE FIX: Go to SETTINGS, choose APPLE ID, then choose ICLOUD, then choose SHOW ALL, then DESELECT the PHONE toggle… (we turn everything off as we don’t use iCloud for anything) … made three test voicemail calls just to check and it worked *****

316 replies

Oct 8, 2023 5:13 PM in response to Ala836

I have the same issue, i have a work phone and a personal phone both have different apple id since years past because of the annoying syncing of iphones and it worked well until this ios17 came in it all of a sudden merged my voicemails and sometimes calls. When i have them both sode by side it makes this wierd syncing.

its very annoying i have ti manually delete each voicemails thats not for work or my personal.

Is there any fix to this???

Oct 2, 2023 9:47 AM in response to Ala836

After spending four hours chatting and then talking to ATT with no solution, I called my local ATT Store and chatted with a worker there. After spending some time thinking about it, she suggested both phones turn off Live Voicemail (Under Phone in Settings). So far, I believe this did the trick. If it was that easy, I wasted five hours today online, and chatting, and calling. I really hope this is the solution.

Oct 8, 2023 9:32 AM in response to Ala836

Apple did change the rules. In the early days there was no family sharing and they gave no instruction on what do. Later they came out with family sharing said how to make that work. But it was too late. We had lots of apps on our phone. Then iCloud changed everything again and not for the better. Software should adapt to my lifestyle; I shouldn’t have to adapt to it.

Dec 13, 2023 9:12 AM in response to Pappys5

I am not incorrect. If you use the same Apple ID on two iPhones, Apple sees them as the same in terms of data, which includes phone call logs and voicemail. You can disagree with me all you wish, but it's a fact and whether you use 5 different carriers on 5 different phones all using the same Apple ID, the call logs and voicemails will be shared among all five devices.

I am not defending Apple, nor commenting on whether how they are doing this is right or wrong. It's how Apple chose to do it. I get you may not like this. So feel free to share your thoughts with Apple here --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Not one person here has anything to do with Apple, nor how Apple chose to design the user interface on any Apple products.

Sep 27, 2023 2:36 PM in response to Ala836

Same issue! Apple denies the issue has anything to do with them! All last week I spoke with five different Apple supervisors as well as went to two different stores and they all blamed the carrier. I’ve called AT&T and spoke with five different supervisors and they can’t figure out the issue, blaming Apple for the problem. I even went to the AT&T store for four hours and they couldn’t accomplish anything as well. This is absolutely ridiculous, and definitely a privacy concern. Apple has told me has nothing to do with Apple ID because the voicemail is set to each specific phone.

Nov 19, 2023 10:05 AM in response to Ala836

I use the same Apple ID for my work device as I do my personal device. Phone numbers are different. I am now getting mixed voicemails due to the iOS 17 update. There is no need for me to have different Apple IDs for my work device. This is a great feature and should be able to be toggled off or routed similarly to that of iMessage abilities. As a developer, this would be the appropriate approach to this type of function.

Jan 21, 2024 5:45 AM in response to Rich Feitelberg

Thank you to Rich Feitelberg for your response on a possible solution. So many people taking time to scold those who share an Appleid. When we set up our phones for our kids we all shared the same applied. They did not have family sharing then. Also it made it really easy to monitor the kids and usage. Now they are older but we are all so intertwined with our contacts, music, notes, calendar, find my iPhone, etc.... that there is a huge concern of starting over or not being able to truly share/sync. This worked flawlessly before. No reason to not continue. And yes, I already sent feedback directly to Apple.

Merged Voicemails after IOS 17 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.