Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

How can I change Standby mode's time zone after iOS 17 update?

I updated my iPhone 14 and was excited to use the new Stand By feature as a nightstand clock. However, I'm in New York City and the Stand By feature only shows the time in Cupertino. What I've tried:

1. Settings->General->Date and time: time zone is correctly set to New York and on the Lock Screen the correct time shows
  2. World Clock: Made sure New York City is the first time shown in the list. It is.
  3. Settings->General->Stand By: no option to change time zone here

Any ideas how to fix this? Otherwise, this feature is completely useless to me.

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 8:09 PM

Rather than make all your users go through all this nonsense, can Apple

just accept this is a bug that should be fixed immediately?

65 replies

Sep 21, 2023 3:46 PM in response to R_55a

I moved the photographs in Standby to the left, and now I am looking at the second analog Standby clock. It takes up the whole of my iPhone screen. When I scroll up, I get several new digital clocks, none of which I want. How do I get back to the first analog clock and calendar that Standby first showed?

Oct 26, 2023 9:02 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

This is the way. People, look at the widgets. There are "Clock" widgets, and there are "City Clock" widgets. Why in the world Apple made a "City Clock" widget the default instead of a standard "Clock" widget that automatically shows the local time according to your device settings...I'll never know. What a boneheaded decision THAT was. At any rate, as IdrisSeabright has pointed out multiple times, you have to DELETE the default "City Clock" widget and add one of the generic "Clock" widgets (which, conveniently, are at the beginning of the clock widget list).

Sep 21, 2023 2:58 AM in response to shakedownstreet

Thank you!

I think the user interface is very counterintuitive. I figured long pressing on the clock widget to get into widget edit mode. I then tried similarly long pressing on the icon in the widget editing display, and expected to see settings. There was nothing suggesting a simple tap on the widget would show settings. Why not just add a visible "Edit" icon or text that one can click? I don't think this is a very good UX the way it is currently implemented.

And why default to Cupertino timezone and not the local timezone? It's like the Apple devs thinks everyone either lives in Cupertino or wants to know their time.

Oct 26, 2023 12:31 PM in response to JLG89

JLG89 wrote:

This is the way. People, look at the widgets. There are "Clock" widgets, and there are "City Clock" widgets. Why in the world Apple made a "City Clock" widget the default instead of a standard "Clock" widget that automatically shows the local time according to your device settings...I'll never know. What a boneheaded decision THAT was. At any rate, as IdrisSeabright has pointed out multiple times, you have to DELETE the default "City Clock" widget and add one of the generic "Clock" widgets (which, conveniently, are at the beginning of the clock widget list).

I agree this was not what I would consider one of Apple's better decisions. But, it's not unprecedented. The default city in the iOS Weather app is Cupertino. Over the years, there have been a lot of questions about that as well.

Oct 6, 2023 7:23 AM in response to kairos33

kairos33 wrote:

Agree. It still doesn't work. And by select a different clock widget, I don't know what you mean. There are no other clock options when I hold press, I can swipe up for other things but no other clocks. I can swipe through but it just shows other options like calendar. Please advise. I could really use help
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/7bb6c8dd-91e9-48bc-9189-da87a3eceb81

Tap on the "+" button in the upper left, then, swipe down to "Clock". The first one that appears is called "Clock I" it has no city. Add that. Then, make sure you remove the City clock from the stack. Swipe up and down to move through the stack and delete the clock app with "CUP" on it.

Oct 26, 2023 12:33 PM in response to kairos33

kairos33 wrote:

Yep, good feedback. And good criticism. People are so afraid to criticize Apple on this forum, and when they do the defenders, get hyper defensive so many terrible decisions.

People criticize Apple all the time on these forums. As long as your civil, go right ahead. However, if you want Apple to hear your concerns, you should use the feedback page as Apple won't see it here.

Product Feedback - Apple

Also, note that what you perceive as people being defensive about terrible decisions may just be people who disagree with your assessment that the decision is terrible.

How can I change Standby mode's time zone after iOS 17 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.