Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

AirPods not connecting to iPhone after updating to iOS 17

Has anyone had an issue with their AirPods not connecting to their phone after iOS 17 update? My AirPods Pro (1st gen) will not connect to my iPhone 13 Pro Max. When placed in the ears the notification sound to say they’re connected does not happen. Occasionally I get an “AirPods connected” message on my phone, but when I try to play music the sound comes out of my phone, not the AirPods.

I can fix the issue temporarily by forgetting the AirPods device on my phone, then reconnecting them. The sounds come through the AirPods, but when I stop playing music, dock the AirPods to the case and come back to use them later, the issue reappears.

any advice on how to fix would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 1:09 PM

I have this issue also. My problem goes even further though as I removed the AirPods Pro from Bluetooth and now my phone will not recognize them at all. I’ve tried every possible way and no matter what my phone just doesn’t recognize them. Everything is updated and everything has a full charge.

185 replies

Mar 2, 2024 10:02 AM in response to Andybacchus

Well, I know that you don't want to forget airpods everytime, if you are toggling bluetooth on and off from control centre from the top, you should alternatively do it from settings instead, make sure airpods firmware is also updated to latest. if nothing works a final solution would be to completely reset your airpods.

Apply solutions from this guide too: Fix AirPods not connecting to iPhone after Updating to iOS 17

Nov 17, 2023 11:03 AM in response to Andybacchus

Hi everyone. I posted today in a different Apple community forum about my AirPods being unable to connect to any of my Apple devices after upgrading my iPhone 14 Pro from iOS 16 to iOS 17.03:

Did the iOS17 update break your AirPod co… - Apple Community

I think there is enough anecdotal evidence that the iOS 17.03 upgrade caused our AirPods to experience issues and that Apple needs to acknowledge and make us whole.

In case the link it stripped out by the moderators, here's what I posted:

My AirPods Pro 2 worked without issue on my MacBook Air, iPad Air, iPad Mini and my iPhone 14 Pro right up until the time that I upgraded my iPhone 14 Pro from iOS v16 to 17.03. After the "upgrade", I could no longer successfully pair the AirPods with ANY of my Apple devices. I also was getting the message "Not Your AirPods Pro" - see attached

The AirPods were still under warranty and I contacted Apple Support and spent nearly two hours on the phone with someone named Jay (very helpful) to troubleshoot the pairing issues. With the issue not resolved, a repair ticket was created and I sent my AirPods to Apple to be fixed or replaced.

However, I received the below response from Apple Support yesterday:

"Our technicians inspected your product and found issues that are ineligible for service. They determined that your device has been damaged or modified in such a way that is not covered by the Apple Limited Warranty, an AppleCare product, or an Apple Service Program. We’ll send the product back to you right away."

Apple's response is completely inexcusable and makes it clear that they have no intention of accepting responsibility for THEIR software damaging the AirPods. I resent the implications of their response and not sure how I would "modify" the AirPods and the only place they have been is in my ears and in the charging case!

I literally used the AirPods with my iPhone 14 Pro just before "upgrading" to 17.03 and, immediately after the upgrade, was unable to pair and use.

So, there are at least some of us - and possibly many, many more - who have had their AirPods rendered inoperable after upgrading to iOS 17.03.

I'm not sure what recourse I, or more broadly, we have, but does anyone know if Apple has a complaint mechanism?

I'm going to reach out to the Washington State (where I live) Attorney General's office to see if there is a way to get Apple to acknowledge the issue and offer to replace any AirPods damaged by the iOS 17.03 upgrade.

Is anyone aware of any other forums where people are reporting similar issues?

Thanks

Sep 28, 2023 9:14 PM in response to Andybacchus

Since installing iOS 17 I have had issues with my AirPods 3rd gen non-pro. AirPods will be connected and have no sound coming through. Also device switching/selection is messed up. When I have the AirPods in my ear and answer call, it will not automatically switch to AirPods like it normally does.

I recently switched to iPhone for the ecosystem, which is the ONLY thing that justifies Apple’s existence. If this is a sign of things to come, going back to Samsung is a very easy decision.

Sep 28, 2023 9:25 AM in response to Andybacchus

I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max and have same issue with my first gen airpods after the iOS 17 update. They will not connect at all, I've factory reset the pods, forgot the pods from the Bluetooth menu and reset all settings on my iPhone as well.

This only being one of many new issues since the update. Suddenly I'm also low on disk space, yet cant erase any photos ( I erase and they just pop back into existence), I also now am having issues with searching for apps I have downloaded when I swipe down from the home screen, ect ect.

Is Apple up to their shadiness again with updating phones and making it to where it forces customers to buy new products??? Very frustrating. I can barely afford getting a latte anymore, let alone new airpods XD

Apple, please be kind to us in this economy, not everyone is a high rolling exec that can drop gold bars on your products.

Sep 30, 2023 7:04 AM in response to Deuce20

I just spoke with Apple Support. I let them record me and I went down the list of everyone's connectivity issues on this thread...all of the various device problems. She is getting the info to the techs but of course, can't promise me anything within a time frame as she does not have that power. If I hear anything further I will let you know. I did let her know that no one has answered the boards as of today.

Sep 30, 2023 7:42 AM in response to Zurclocred

Nice!

A little update to my AirPod connectivity issue. When I opened my case yesterday to check the charge level, my phone showed everything was charged to 100%. I put them in my ears and nothing happened. That’s when they quit connecting. I tried every possible option to reconnect including removing them from Bluetooth and starting over and nothing worked. I put them back in the case and plugged them in as well as my phone. Restarted everything and the phone eventually recognized the AirPods. When it did it showed the AirPods and case as having dead batteries. They have never had dead batteries other than when I’m using them. After a couple of minutes of charging they suddenly were over 50% charged so I think there is an issue with the new update recognizing charge status and inadvertently thinking the batteries are dead so the phone will not connect. Now, I’m not saying things are fixed because I have yet to actually try to use the AirPods BUT at least the phone did finally recognize and reconnect with them.

Sep 24, 2023 1:21 AM in response to Andybacchus

Same here, I tried it on two devices, one iPhone 12 Pro Max and one iPhone 15 Pro, both updated to iOS17. They do not connect with either of my AirPods Pro (2nd gen) and my friend's AirPods (3rd gen). However, they manage to pair with an iPad Pro M1 that runs on iPadOS 16.6.1 and an iPhone 13 that runs on iOS 16.6. There is a slight imbalance on the sound, though, and the noise cancellation is sort of weak. One more strange issue is, that the AirPods' firmwares are not updating.

Sep 25, 2023 7:40 AM in response to Andybacchus

I'm having the same issue with my 2nd Gen 6A300 on my iPhone 11. I went through this long list of various resets and nothing works.

https://headphonesaddict.com/apple-airpods-connected-but-no-sound/#Reset_the_AirPods

The pods connect and I can see the music playing but there is no sound. I have tired every button and reset idea I could find online and they still won't work. I have also disconnected all other devices that could be interfering, and nothing works.

I just updated the latest urgent security update hoping it would correct the issue and it has not.

Help us out Apple, we need a bug fix.

Oct 5, 2023 2:28 AM in response to Andybacchus

I have the same issue now. I’m using AirPods gen 3 and I forget the device on both my iPad and iPhone. Now, I cannot connect the AirPods on both devices and now it wont recognized my airpods. Kept on saying that the location of these airpods can be seen by the owner.

obviously I am the owner of this airpods.

issue started when only the right pods is working.

does anyone get the same error?

AirPods not connecting to iPhone after updating to iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.