Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 15 overheating

Hi everyone. I’ve recently purchased the new iPhone 15 pro max and it is heating up even when I’m not using it.

I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue or if it maybe a setting that is causing it that I can turn off?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 10:37 AM

I have same exact issue ... called apple and they suggest to turn off location services , also background app refresh ...BUtt that dose not helped ...

My 15 Pro Max is getting hot and battery draining too quickly ... There is something definitely wrong with it ... Apple need to fix this asap ...

935 replies

Sep 23, 2023 9:51 PM in response to arcane93

My iPhone 15 is running warmer than my 14 Pro and 13 pro ever did. Which is odd considering the 14 pro has the same chipset in it. Could be just the indexing but I've had it under a load before and it felt fine. This time it was just sitting and not charging or anything and it just started to get hot. Also started to lag a bit and was unresponsive. I was indoors while this occured in a climate controlled area set to 71F. So it's a little concerning.

Oct 5, 2023 11:04 AM in response to 100clicks

This is getting hot after the update (reset and all that tips), today I tested and in less of 1 min of same in a call or less of 1 min of taking photos or video, it put around 42º Celsius. In the back right side, near the volume buttons, very hot.

And this does not happen on my old Iphone 13 PRO ever, only when playing a heavy game or a very long long call (and not even closer).

As soon I stop browsing or making things with the phone it cool down... but I never see something like that.

Dec 19, 2023 4:05 AM in response to Ahsanali1981

This is what happens:

• iPhone 15 pro overheats right after you spent like $2,000 on it (in my case. - purchased top end pro max overseas)
  • keeps overheating the next few days
  • people post here, outraged
  • after 1 or 2 weeks their iPhone has finally downloaded these 60,000 pictures from iCloud and it’s now smooth and cool as it should be
  • people never post an update here

next person buys it. Repeat.

Sep 23, 2023 9:15 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I'm not entirely convinced that the problem is only indexing.

My 15 Pro (not Max) is sitting at pretty much normal room temperature when not in use, but I just spent about 10 minutes watching streaming video over wifi with the screen at about 30% brightness (in a room with a temperature of 69 degrees fahrenheit, so it's not an ambient temperature issue either) – the phone got hot enough that it was uncomfortable to hold, and the battery dropped by about 15% in that time (not exactly the "up to 23 hours" of video playback time that Apple claims there...).

I'm not going to say that indexing couldn't be part of it, but 1) that seems pretty extreme, even with indexing, and 2) I would hope that Apple throttles their indexing when the phone is busy doing other things.

I'm going to give it until the end of the week for indexing to finish or for Apple to release a software fix or whatever, but if it's still doing this by then, I'm returning it. I'm also recommending to friends who haven't gotten their phones yet to hold on buying anything until we see where this goes.

(Oh, and in response to the other post, it's a 1TB phone with about 600GB free, so it's not a free space-related issue either.)

Sep 23, 2023 8:37 PM in response to Ruthy-Roo

Ruthy-Roo Said:

"iPhone 15 pro max heating up.: Hi everyone. I’ve recently purchased the new iPhone 15 pro max and it is heating up even when I’m not using it. I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue or if it maybe a setting that is causing it that I can turn off? Any advice is appreciated. :)"

-------

New iPhone Overheating:

Being a new iPhone, did you eat up all the storage, already? If little space remains on the iPhone, things can overheat.

Troubleshooting an Overheating iPhone:

Perform the following:

I. Cool Down the iPhone:

For a few hours, perform the following...

• Power Off: the iPhone for a bit
  • Unplug: any Cables
  • Place it Atop: Laptop Cooler
  • Keep it in: an open space
  • Keep it Out of: direct sunlight

then...

2. Clear Space Using my User Tips:

See if you need to clear lots of space. System resources may be using up too much services, making it overheat. Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do...

Clear Space, Using my User Tips:

Sep 27, 2023 7:00 AM in response to gauri149

Yes, but it's a new phone and it's still likely doing things in the background.

Still, you should charge it EVERY night, while you sleep, with Optimized Battery Charge turned on. Your phone will also backup to iCloud while you sleep and you'll never have to worry about losing data, if something unfortunate were to happen.

This is a user tip for from a Senior member on the forum --> When to charge your iPhone or iPad - Apple Community

iPhone 15 overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.