Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 15 Pro Max Wi-Fi Issues

I Hope apple or others can help me out - I’m having issues with WiFi on the IPhone 15 Pro Max

myself and others are having issues with using WiFi and 160hz - many have raised issues on Reddit posts - some cannot connect to there WiFi at all and others can connect like myself but have random issues with no internet from time to time

Mines working on 5GHz 160hz, but sometimes I’ll just have no internet connection (it’s still connected to the WiFi) - I have to disconnect from the WiFi and connect again for it to work.

I’m using ASUS RT-AX82U - 5GHz allowed Upto 160hz - I’m running 1gig internet so last thing I want to do is try running at 80hz as I’ll loose speed

When it does work it works great 😊

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP APPLE

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 6:39 AM

I've got a fix!!! This was frustrating me to no end. Went to Apple store and talked with one of the experienced techs. He said the issue is the iPhone when you import from an old iPhone imports non-ideal network settings, not just your old iPhone passwords. Fix is below.

Network -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset Network Settings

Wifi has been working like a charm since I did this. Read about this for hours and never saw this suggested anywhere else so figured I'd contribute.

492 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2023 6:39 AM in response to Community User

I've got a fix!!! This was frustrating me to no end. Went to Apple store and talked with one of the experienced techs. He said the issue is the iPhone when you import from an old iPhone imports non-ideal network settings, not just your old iPhone passwords. Fix is below.

Network -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset Network Settings

Wifi has been working like a charm since I did this. Read about this for hours and never saw this suggested anywhere else so figured I'd contribute.

Nov 2, 2023 11:48 AM in response to Community User

I’ve been having the same wifi connectivity issues with my 15 Pro Max since I bought it. I’ve called my ISP (Bell) and I’ve called Apple. Apple ran diagnostics and said everything was fine, and I even tried resetting my network settings to factory. Nothing seemed to work UNTIL, earlier today, I called Apple again. This is what they had me do:

1. Settings
  2. Wi-Fi
  3. Tap on the network you’re using
  4. Scroll down, tap Configure DNS
  5. Change from “Automatic” to “Manual”
  6. Tap “Save”

So far, fingers crossed, this has worked. I go to work tonight, so I don’t have time to monitor my Wi-Fi as much as I’d want before I go in tonight, but I haven’t had an issue since I did this. Keep in mind, my Wi-Fi was dropping regularly at home. I’m hoping this can help some of you, as there doesn’t seem to be much information online on what works for this issue.

Sep 23, 2023 8:34 AM in response to Community User

Same issue happening for me on the iPhone 15 Pro. It'll connect to my home wifi and then periodically disconnect every ~45 seconds only to reconnect five minutes later. No issues with the wifi on any other device in my house. And the funny thing is the iPhone continues to say it's connected until you go to settings where it occasionally updates to say "No Internet Connection." Perhaps it's an issue with IOS 17? I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue.

Dec 30, 2023 9:42 AM in response to Community User

I got a fix. For the last few days I lost my internet connection on my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I did have internet on everything else on the house except my phone. I went to settings and I saw the VPN flipping. First I thought that was my modem but the problem persisted at home too. I disconnected the VPN by going to general and then VPN device management and I deleted the VPN. Now is working. I ordered 2 iPhones 15 pro max. One has the VPN and the other didn’t. I guess when the transfer of the old to the new phones that information was transferred but there are some issues.

Oct 26, 2023 3:12 PM in response to Community User

For me it was as I was trying to transfer to the new phone. Then I saw the VPN toggle in setting flicking back and forth. My original phone had Nord VPN loaded and I used it when travelling.

I went to cellular, down loaded Nord VPN (which had not transferred as I has no wifi connection). I closed Nord VPN down, then I could trunk the VPN toggle off in settings. Now a solid wifi connection.

I assume there was a VPN setting that came across with the network setting transfer which was shutting down the wifi while it tried to load.

Sep 27, 2023 7:58 PM in response to Community User

This is really disappointing and quite ridiculous. My internet provider router does not allow for customized settings--i have wifi on two bands 2.4GHz and 5GHz. There is not "smart control," no option to select 20/40/80hz (which is the default on the 5Ghz).

I have reboot the router, reboot the phone, reset network settings, and am still having this problem. The wifi will connect, but it will be weaker, and eventually drop off. I'm not having this problem with my MacBook's wifi connection. This is very frustrating.

Dec 19, 2023 11:55 AM in response to Community User

Find a solution.

I had same problem on all (4) iPhone 15 pro in the family. Phone can stay on Xfinity internet for just few minutes and data is cut. I have to turn off and on WIFI to continue. I am renting Xfinity's router and wifi box. So we are on 5G for the past few months.

Finally found time to fix this issue yesterday. Called XFinity customer service, who was nice but clueless. I knew it is Wifi 6E issue, and since XFinity is unable to change its setting on the router, I changed following setting on phone and problem is gone. I think Apple is at fault. It should test its Wifi Compatibility with major customers before selling iPhone 15.

Settings->WiFi ->"circled i" next to your wifi SSID -> WiFi 6E mode-> turn off.

Nov 23, 2023 9:27 PM in response to Community User

I got my iPhone 15 pro max 3 days ago, didn’t realise this was an issue and have woken up today with no mobile data left on my plan with 25 days remaining because I’d clicked connect on the wifi before going to sleep and it’s disconnected automatically, then my photos were apparently being uploaded to my phone from iCloud overnight on my mobile plan instead of data 😭 very annoyed as I’ve had to fully change around my data plan now because of this issue. Hopefully this will be fixed soon!!

Oct 23, 2023 8:53 AM in response to W1llee

Use caution when judging connections using the Wi-Fi signal bars; only seeing "full signal" next to the router may be correct, depending upon your device and router.

The newer Wi-Fi frequencies have much shorter ranges than the old ones, though they can be faster at shorter range than other connections.

The newer Wi-Fi 6E technology as supported in the iPhone 15 Pro and ProMax uses three frequency bands, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz.

• When connected to the 6 GHz band, a signal will in most cases not reach more than fifty feet.
  • On the 5 GHz band coverage may also be fifty feet or less.
  • Finally, the 2.4 GHz band is what you are usually connected to across a house or commercial building.

For those with technical minds, at two meters, free space path loss is 46 dB for 2.4 GHz, 53 dB for 5 GHz, and 55 dB for 6 GHz, or coverage on the 6 GHz band drops off around 2 dB in the first meter as compared to a 5 GHz signal, which itself drops off 7 dB more in that first meter than a 2.4 GHz signal.

This means you may see a lower signal in terms of Wi-Fi signal bars, but it may still be a faster, more robust connection than you had with past devices.

Since only a few newer Apple devices:

• MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2023) or MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2023)
  • Mac mini (2023)
  • Mac Studio (2023)
  • Mac Pro (2023)
  • iPhone 15 Pro or iPhone 15 Pro Max
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (4th generation) or iPad Pro 12.9 inch (6th generation)

support Wi-Fi 6E, if you have a 6E-capable router your new device may be the first to use the newer frequencies and therefore may show a lower signal strength connected to the same SSID as older devices.

See this document for more on using Wi-Fi 6E networks:

Use Wi-Fi 6E networks with Apple devices - Apple Support

Sep 27, 2023 12:15 PM in response to Holyshort

Just wanted to chime in with my experience on this topic. I was having the problem that everyone else in this thread was having with spotty connection and dropping the signal when connected to 6E WiFi. I was having to disable the 6E mode on the phone to run it on 5ghz instead. I ended up opening a support ticket with Apple Support and was told that everything looked fine from their end after running diagnostic tests. The last thing I was to connect with internet service provider and see if there’s a bug or something on their end.

I contacted Xfinity, my internet provider, and everything looked okay on their end too, but after prying a bit they detected an issue that could be causing the problem. They did a reset of the router and update from their side which has seemingly resolved the problem for me, for now.

Sep 23, 2023 9:03 AM in response to Toronto4112

I’ve been doing some more digging and it seems to be only happening on networks pushing out 5GHz and broadcasting all 20/40/80/160hz ranges at same time

if I set it to broadcast 5GHz and 160Hz only I have no issues at all - i can come out of range if the WiFi and once back in range I have internet access

If I set 5GHz broadcast to 20/40/80hz only I get no issues at all - i can come out of range if the WiFi and once back in range I have internet access

if I set 5GHz broadcast to 20/40/80/160hz I loose internet connection on the iPhone until I disconnect from the ssid and connect again - one the ways I figured this out was leaving the house and coming back in - every time i rejoined I have no internet connection, Not until I disconnected from ssid and joined again - once I done this it was fine again until I went out of range and then came back in.

in the meantime I have setup a 2nd wifi router just to use for my iPhone so I can still have 20/40/80/160hz for the rest of my network

Just FYI, I’m using a Asus RT-AX82U router as my main router 5GHz (20/40/80/160hz)

heads up I don’t think it’s iOS 17 related as my iPhone 13 Pro Max never had this issue and it was running iOS 17 before getting my iPhone 15 pro max

Sep 28, 2023 1:24 PM in response to ATX_user2837

2.4 band works fine as a stop gap. Not ideal solution but it has been stable for over 24 hours.

I engaged support again today and finally got someone to acknowledge that this is a known, systematic issue and that they are working on a fix. There was, of course, no ETA or indication of how the fix will be issued.

From support chat:

We are further investigating this and please do rest assure that we are all working and looking for a best possible solution.

I understand this is not the outcome you would prefer, I got your back! I’ll document here all the things we have done and make sure this will be heard and taken care of. So that our Apple Engineer might review our case and use this for future reference to prevent your concern to continue to happen. Okay?

Nov 29, 2023 10:24 AM in response to Johnnytony

There's nothing wrong with Apple's network quality in general; virtually every issue here is with the implementation of Wi-Fi 6E among various wireless routers.

There have been no issues with commercial/professional solutions and for home units make sure you have the most recent firmware available for your device installed.

There are so few Wi-Fi 6E devices in the field many manufacturers are still shooting from the hip so to speak.

If you find a specific bug, let Apple Support know.

iPhone 15 Pro Max Wi-Fi Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.