iPhone Touch Screen not working - iOS 17

I recently updated my iPhone 14 Pro Max to IOS 17 and everything has been working really well. I woke up this morning and my iPhone's touch screen was unresponsive and won't let me unlock my phone. I found a way to restart my phone by clicking the top volume button, then the bottom volume button, and then holding the lock button, however that did not fix the issue. I work primarily off of my phone so I need to get this fixed ASAP. Any tips?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 23, 2023 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2024 11:56 AM

The primary fix for an unresponsive iPhone touch screen is to: just press volume up button, then down button( just press it, don't hold it ) right after it hold the lock button until apple logo appears( don't click on swipe to shutdown ). This will fix a frozen, unresponsive or stuck screen.

If you want to know more about the issue and more solutions check out this guide: How to Fix iPhone Touch Screen Not Working After IOS 17 Update

237 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2024 11:56 AM in response to cody_burdette

The primary fix for an unresponsive iPhone touch screen is to: just press volume up button, then down button( just press it, don't hold it ) right after it hold the lock button until apple logo appears( don't click on swipe to shutdown ). This will fix a frozen, unresponsive or stuck screen.

If you want to know more about the issue and more solutions check out this guide: How to Fix iPhone Touch Screen Not Working After IOS 17 Update

Dec 3, 2023 5:35 PM in response to PhillyBro

SUCCESS! I added one important extra step to these instructions: plugging my iPhone into my desktop iMac - and that did the trick:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Sep 23, 2023 11:45 AM in response to cody_burdette

Let’s ensure that you have properly used the Forced Restart method shown below.

——

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Oct 6, 2023 12:20 PM in response to cody_burdette

Whatever you do don’t download the 3rd version of the IOS 17 update. The touchscreen completely stops working, just got home from the apple store.. not only did they waste 3 hours of my time and half my work day.. they refused to replace or fix it. They alleged it’s my phone (that is literally in mint condition) and I’d have to either pay them $329 or make a claim through my carrier. They aren’t taking any accountability for their software updates causing the issue. Fortunately I was finally able to get the screen to work when I got home after about 50 hard resets. I won’t download any further updates.

Oct 17, 2023 3:14 PM in response to Laurendoty12

Sigh, I really don’t know what to rn either, after the update I’ve had massive overheating issues and the most annoying one of all the edges of my screen don’t work and sometimes the whole screen doesn’t work. Apparently I’d have to flash my phone completely to remove the iOS 17 from my phone and the phone technician said it’s a possibility that I might have to replace my phone screen! Like WTH???

Dec 15, 2023 4:42 AM in response to cody_burdette

Apple has badly let me down , I have been using only apple products for the last 10 years , I was very attached to my iPhone 13 Promax , just the day before I downloaded their garbage update which destroyed my screen , the phone went totally dud …. Looks like when the throttle gate was brought out these guys needed something else to make money by destroying their phone screens … oh yea I must say this their ios 17.2 update is **** … you have lost another customer apple

iPhone Touch Screen not working - iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.